mtbr member

Burly 5" frame in the $700 range

I have been riding a 5" trail/XC bike. Love the bike but I broke the chainstay, it's being replaced under warranty but I am going to sell the frame and get something else. This is the second different brand of bike I have broken, in the same spot on both. I am 6'3" 235ish. The trails around here are very rocky and rough. I want something that I won't have to worry about. I would prefer to stick with a 5" bike so I don't have to buy a new fork, plus, 6" bikes I have ridden feel like "too much" to me.

So please make suggestions for a stout 5" frame in my budget. I have a good component group I will be swapping over, and I'm rolling on Outlaws,

Thanks

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Santa Cruz Nickel. It's pretty much a Butcher but with 5" of travel instead of 6". I believe it weighs in at 7.5lb (just like the Butcher) with the rear shock, so it can take some abuse for a 5" travel bike. It's a pretty new model though, so not sure how many used Nickel frames are on the market at the moment.

mtbr member
    A used Santa Cruz Blur LT would work...
    You could check the Transition Bandit...Looks like it can handle some hits.
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Maybe a used orange 5 if you can find one. strong single pivot
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    pre 07 Santa Cruz Heckler would fit the bill nicely too.

heres a good deal on one on ebay. not my auction... im 6'2 and my xl is perfect. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_7867wt_1141
    Last edited by og1; 03-12-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Cannonball!
    In your budget perhaps: Kona Coiler (1st ed.), Transition Preston, or Banshee Chaparral. Those bikes are all pretty much built like tanks, but unfortunately weigh almost as much as one!

edit: Maybe a Heckler?

small member
    Jun 2006
    I second the rec. for the 1st gen Coiler (2004). It had 130mm (5") rear travel, but was the same tubing as the Stinky of the era (their freeride bike). The year after (2005) they bumped it to 150mm (6").
    My 04 coiler is still going strong despite being used at ski resorts in the summer.

mtbr member
    Thanks, the Heckler was on my list......Will look into Coilers also

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    check chainlove.com. I've been seeing a lot of the full suspension Kona frames on there for $700-$800. If you're not picky about brands, its a smoking deal
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    +1 on the coiler/coilair. At 200 lbs with gear the heckler was flexy in the rear. I went from that heckler to an '07 coilair frame and the difference is night and day. You won't be disappointed. Coiler and Coilair frames are amazing. So are the dawg frames.

mtbr member
    I had a Banshee wraith about 5 years ago, a bit heavy but very strong, if you find one frame it should be very cheap by now. Personally i would pick an heckler though. Good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Burly 5" frame describes the chumba XCL perfectly.

I bet they can be found around your price point.
    R

I Have Cookies
    A Used Canondale Prophet. I find em off the bay from time to time for your budget you might find a complete bike...
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax
    +1 on the coiler/coilair. At 200 lbs with gear the heckler was flexy in the rear. I went from that heckler to an '07 coilair frame and the difference is night and day. You won't be disappointed. Coiler and Coilair frames are amazing. So are the dawg frames.

LoL flex. Go read the thread about frame flex.

How do you know it wasn't the cranks, your rear axle, or the wheels that were at fault?

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax
    im like 260-275 on the pedals with gear and i sure havent noticed any flex on my heckler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    LoL flex. Go read the thread about frame flex.

How do you know it wasn't the cranks, your rear axle, or the wheels that were at fault?
    LOL that you wrote LOL. I tend to make assessments on gear based on personal experience, not what I read. Here's a video for you. Watch the rear end on the heckler. I had one. It felt just like it looks in this video

mtbr member
    May 2008
    5" super tough frames you won't brake: transition preston, or bottle rocket. The latter is really a park bike but I know guys that pedal them xc. You won't brake either of those frames and you won't be bogged down in travel if that's what you didn't like about 6" bikes you tried. I loved my preston and you won't brake it. TOUGH FRAME!