mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Bunyhopping while trail riding

So, my old BMX skills are starting to come back after practicing bunnyhops on my 26" hardtail. But here's the problem:

I can hop about 3/4 of a wheel high now, but I have to lower my seatpost quite a bit to do so. How do people have their seatpost at the proper height for full leg extension while trail riding but still hop over obstacles?

It seems like that seat up high would prevent the bike from being pulled up underneath the rider.

mtbr member
    ehh clip in pedals help

a proper BMW bunnyhop youre supposed to be behind the seat anyways

Harry LEary with the example

mtbr member
    i ride with my seat very low if im trail riding and if i start going up hill i just stand up i also like drops and stuff like that so i dont mind riding with my seat low but if i do end up riding more xc trails i do put my seat up a little bit

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Answer: Gravity Dropper

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    So, my old BMX skills are starting to come back after practicing bunnyhops on my 26" hardtail. But here's the problem:

I can hop about 3/4 of a wheel high now, but I have to lower my seatpost quite a bit to do so. How do people have their seatpost at the proper height for full leg extension while trail riding but still hop over obstacles?

It seems like that seat up high would prevent the bike from being pulled up underneath the rider.
    Hey Mr. CoastieTX,

You're 100% correct! Get one of these and drop your seat on the fly!!

http://www.gravitydropper.com/

Our crew has them on 6 bikes and we've been happy using them for the last 4 years.

Thanks,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan420
    ehh clip in pedals help

a proper BMW bunnyhop youre supposed to be behind the seat anyways

Harry LEary with the example

if your seat on your bmx bike was as high as your mountain bike seat relative to the pedals, it would be funny looking and your seat would hit you in the ass when attempting a bunnyhop. You need some room to suck the bike up before you can extend your legs. A proper high bunnyhop ends with your rear tire smacking your ass.

mtbr member
    I really dont bunny hop while on the trail. My mind hits the zone where everything is sensory input and what i know as a second nature to react. I really cant "think" while riding. If i do pop up I just let it float.
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    bunnyhops are second nature for me. i'm coming from the same bmx background, and lately i've found myself needing more seat/butt room to jump around and really get the tail end up, so i've been riding with my seat significantly lower. it can be a pain in the knees but it keeps me light on the seat and definitely faster over the roots/rocks in my area, and can get me a lot more air where possible.

GAME ON!
    when i approach an obstacle i just pull up and hope for the best.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"