mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Building up an On-One 456

Hey all - could use some advice, as this is my first bike build.

I mostly enjoy riding on the AM side of XC, but don't have a clue about some current tech:

Fork: I want this bike to be on the light side of things. I'm on a 2006 Caldera right now, and really like the feel, it's just too big for me (for sale, by the way!). The 456 can take a great range of forks, but I don't really want anything more than 130mm travel. Adjustable would be great. I'm seriously limited in choices because I am going to run v-brakes instead of disc (long, boring story). I like the look of the Marz 700 XC SL, but it's a touch on the expensive side. Also, I like the look of the RS Recon, but it seems a touch on the heavy side. Any other ideas / options?

Drivetrain: I'm pretty convinced that a 2X9 w/ bashie is the way to go - something like the Stylo 2.2 RG. Should I be concerned about giving up my big ring? I never use it except on roads... With the 2X9, I think I can get away with a medium cage X9 or X0 rear (sale prices depending, with X9 shifters and XT front der.). Anybody have a negative experience or opinion with this setup?

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it...

T.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have been wondering the same thing about the 456 but my question is where to buy the frame. No one seems to have them in stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Pricepoint says they have them, but I haven't actually placed my order yet - just don't take the last 18" from them, okay!?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No worries. I need a 20 anyways.