Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Building skills area at my house help needed

I have been putting in as many miles as I can on the new trigger 1. But being new to the all mountain type of riding I need practice.

I was thinking about starting to build a skills area at my place to practice on when I don't have time to make it to the trails. I live on a farm so space and equipment is not a problem. I am wanting something simple I can keep adding to over time.

I need help with ideas. I have found lots of elaborate designs, but very few simple low budget ones. Thanks -Ross

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

usually cranky
    pump track. endless fun and it will help your skill immensely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am jealous. I barely have room in my yard to practice doing a track stand.

Radical Rookie
    pump track for flow and maybe a log collection for you to play small obstacle course. But you will have to know how to secure the logs so they don't give you unnecessary accidents.
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Re: Building skills area at my house help needed

I was thinking about starting with some skinnies, log obstacles, and small drops. I'm hoping to build a pump track eventually. Is it better to build these courses on flat land or hills? Does anyone have a good resource on proper obstacle building? I don't mind buying books if they contain the correct info. I have done lots of construction, just never anything bike related and want to make sure I do it correctly. Thanks for all the help so far. -Ross

Radical Rookie
    In my opinion, being on a flat or slope terrain depends on your preference and your projected level of difficulty as you progress thru. The usual natural obstacles that you may wanna simulate are roots, rock gardens, logs and how to clear them should it be up a slop, down a steep slope, or there is a big pothole amongst the root or rock cluster etc.

Your research should be about the flow of the design, drainage and sustainability of the track, and possibility of moving and re-laying the obstacle with relative ease etc

and when the time permits, maybe you might at some berms, table tops and gaps and wall-rides to it... which sounds too awesome by then
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    PBuild a table top jump. Most fundamental way to learn to catch air. You can make it taller, longer, steeper more mellow all according to your level. If you can already jump, do double doubles for rythum . one after another with very little room to set up between jumps. It builds reflexs for pumping rythum and timing. You can put as many as you want in a row. You could do it all tables or doubles. One after another.
    :
    Its the most labor intensive process without a bobcat or some kind if tractor. 1 jump take many hours and days with pick and shovel. I know as I have made quite a few. Doubles take half or less the amount of dirt to move. As long as you can get water to soak the ground so it digs up easier its doable. It helps to know how to pack and cut transitions.
    One way to help if your doing with a pick and shovel is to make them banzai style. Dig a hole down into the ground before the lip. It has to be a smooth elongated transition down. But you can use that dirt to make the lip. Do the same with the landing. So you pump down into a hole lanch up and pump back down and etc etc depnding on how many you can build.

usually cranky
    putting drops on a hill makes the most sense. you cant really lay it out wrong though.

Radical Rookie
    I keep thinking OP wanted to simulate trail rather than a regular smooth pump track, hence my suggestions on the use of logs and rocks to build obstacle that can increase in difficulty over time...
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I am not really needing a flowing trail just a series of obstacles to practice various skills on. Think skinnies, log obstacles, and small drops I think a pump track is a great idea, but it would probably be winter before I had time to do the dirt work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    pumptrack will make you see the trails different. it makes every hump and bump something to bank off or pump up onto to or over to flow down.
    but I defnatley hear you about needing winter to build.

personally I sketch when I see a drop into somthin that holds a lot of speed, so if you miss the line you can get out of control. so I would build some drop offs into somkind of bank if you have a hill available. maybe somthin like this. you could make it smaller and then elongate it to make it bigger. Ladder jump top of Jedi - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    I got jumps burms and a log ride.

Just build **** with stuff from the dumpster at a construction site and youll get better at tech real fast

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ks_cowboy View Post
    I need help with ideas. I have found lots of elaborate designs, but very few simple low budget ones...
    Oh I have lots of ideas!

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but it's a lot of fun. See-saw:

Building skills area at my house help needed-12-hours-bradbury-mountain_012-600x400.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Here's another simple idea. Obviously the lake is optional.

Building skills area at my house help needed-527878_320862461334204_171843842_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    And of course, the basic ramp. Keep it simple to build:

Building skills area at my house help needed-fnh7zpkgqrbnumm.medium.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Simple pile of logs ram-packed with dirt:

Building skills area at my house help needed-log-jump.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by solidass View Post
    Oh I have lots of ideas!
    for me...

see-saw - no
    boards under inner tubes surrounded by water - heeeeeeeck no
    ramp - yes
    tree logs - yes

joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    for me...

boards under inner tubes surrounded by water - heeeeeeeck no

joel
    Okay, how about simple 4x4 lumber placed on the ground end to end?

Building skills area at my house help needed-y3kuvsc.jpg

Photo is plagiarized from Ales and Trails skills park photos, but nobody reads these captions anyway, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I would put a rut into the mix. I know I get a bit panicked when a rut comes up, more so than a skinny... especially on a turn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Here's the type of trail on which I would love to practice, for both uphill and downhill. I wish I could just *find* a location like this locally (that I can ride legally), if not have the space to build it:

Name:  bike-stairs.png
Views: 672
Size:  296.8 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Thanks guys this is the exact type of things I was looking for. Are there any resources for the proper construction of these type of obstacles. I want to do it as correct as possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks guys this is the exact type of things I was looking for. Are there any resources for the proper construction of these type of obstacles. I want to do it as correct as possible.

... I have done lots of construction, just never anything bike related and want to make sure I do it correctly. Thanks for all the help so far. -Ross

You've either done lots of construction or haven't (and need resources).

I've done lots of construction. Just looking at the photos is good enough for me. I would say just use treated wood for the ground contact, hot-dipped galvanized nails or carriage bolts for rust protection, maybe even deck treatment (brush-on coating). Pre drill when you think it'll split, etc.

If you're talking about designs, there are too many ways to make each type of contraption. Here are some more photos. These are plagiarized from the Trek Dirt Series (skills camp for women).

Name:  CbncQSk.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  82.5 KB

Building skills area at my house help needed-q7odxit.jpg

Building skills area at my house help needed-0xkvuoc.jpg
    This last one seems to be an ADJUSTABLE ANGLE ramp. Maybe best bang for the construction effort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I am very comfortable with construction. I just wanted to see if there was a best practices before winging it. Thanks again for all the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by solidass View Post
    Here's the type of trail on which I would love to practice, for both uphill and downhill. I wish I could just *find* a location like this locally (that I can ride legally), if not have the space to build it:

Name:  bike-stairs.png
Views: 672
Size:  296.8 KB
    . That looks hella fun. There's a section on a high speed downhill trail near me that has two stairs like that. You either have to hit it at about 15mph and ride off both or at like 30mph to clear the second. Anywhere in between and you case the second stair and it can wreck your world. But that pic is awesome.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 07-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast