mtbr member

Building a hardtail after 20 years on FS bikes...advice needed

Sorry in advance for the book I'm about to write...

So I'm looking to build a steel hardtail trail bike that will go up nearly as well as it will go down. This will be my first non-DJ specific hardtail in 20 years and I'm trying to get out of my "I don't care how long it takes to get to the top as long as the bike rips on the way down" mentality.

Some of the things I want in my new bike
    - Relatively slack, but not overly so (66-67 degrees sagged)
    - Mid-length chainstays (more the 420mm, less than 430mm)
    - Designed around 130-150mm forks
    - Capable of running 27.5 x 2.6" tires
    - 12x148 boost rear axle spacing
    - Run a max stem length of 50mm (would prefer 40mm)

As far as me and my previous bikes...I'm just over 6' 2" tall with a 34" inseam and fairly long arms (+2" ape index). I felt my old XL Transition Bandit was a bit too long in the saddle (68-deg HA, 445mm reach, 622mm ETT, 60mm stem) and my current large Canfield Balance is a bit short in the saddle (66-deg HA, 438 reach, 607mm ETT, 50mm stem).

The frames I have been looking at most closely are the Stanton Slackline, Cotic Soul, and Orange P7. I like the Stanton and the Cotic mostly because of the Reynolds 853 steel which will keep the weight down a bit and give a great ride, but the Orange seems solid too. What is really throwing me for a loop is the staggering differences in geometry for 18" frames.

____Frame________Reach____ETT_____Seat Tube_____CS_____HA___SA
    Stanton Slackline__438mm___616mm____457mm____427mm___67___ 74
    Orange P7_______477mm___634mm____457mm____430mm____67__76
    Cotic Soul________474mm___667mm____460mm____428mm___66__ 72
    ***all numbers based on a 140mm fork with 25% sag

To make things more complicated I learned through my discussions with the guys at Stanton that when sizing hardtails a good starting point is ~20mm shorter than what is comfortable on FS bikes because reach extends as you move through the travel. This makes some sense if looking at unsagged hardtail geo numbers, but supposedly the numbers are shown sagged to be more comparable to FS bikes.

I was originally sold on the Stanton because it seems perfect if this 20mm shorter guideline is correct, but if not the reach and ETT have me worried the bike will be too small. The Cotic's ETT is just crazy long because of the SA. It seems like the P7 is probably the best fit, but I would really prefer the lighter and more compliant Stanton frame.

Generally just looking for any advice and a general conversation about this. Also open to other frame suggestions that meet my list of wants.
    Canfield Jedi, Canfield Balance, Canfield DJ, Cotic Soul

mtbr member
    Looking forward to some answers. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to deciphering geo numbers and usually just get XL bikes and they tend to work well enough.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Honestly I canít offer much advice when it comes to the geometry. I do own a 2018 Cotic Soul in a size small (Iím 5í7Ē) and Iím loving it. I donít suffer from as much hand numbness as I have with my previous two bikes. Iíve owned a 2010 Rockhopper and a 2017 Cannondale Habit both in size medium. I donít know what exactly it is but I love the Soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Im 5í9 ish and ride a medium 2018 cotic soul with a 35mm stem. Fit is perfect. If you are unsure about size Cy at cotic is very helpful and will answer any questions via email. He designed the bikes and his knows his stuff.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 01sam View Post
    Im 5í9 ish and ride a medium 2018 cotic soul with a 35mm stem. Fit is perfect. If you are unsure about size Cy at cotic is very helpful and will answer any questions via email. He designed the bikes and his knows his stuff.
    I just sent Cotic an email to get there take on sizing for me. We'll see what they say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I looked at that bike briefly and the geo numbers are so far outside my realm of perception I have trouble even considering it. I don't mind trying something outside my comfort zone, but I think the Moxie is going too far.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    It checks all your list except for 27.5 2.6 tires, works better with 2.8.

mbtr member
    I'm a hobbyist framebuilder, i've built 5 frames for myself with similar geo to the ones you're looking at and i'm exactly your proportions.

Here's my current frame (unsagged), it's designed for technical XC and gets jumped as often as possible. It's very similar to the soul and P7, but built with a burly tube set.
    Building a hardtail after 20 years on FS bikes...advice needed-overkillmtbr.jpg

With a 71* seat angle i don't think i could get the saddle in a position i was happy with unless i was running a fixed seatpost or a singlespeed. The soul and P7 are basically the same design with a different seat angle. The P7 would work fine for me, but i like sitting closer on the rear wheel. Personal preference though. The 18.5 stanton is much much too short and their sizing advice is weird. Total non-starter. The 19.5 is also small for my taste, but it's a worthwhile option for a XC'ish build with a longer stem. (you should only be considering the largest size of any frame at your height)

853 steel means absolutely nothing in isolation. All steels flex the same amount, and while it's possible that an 853 frame was built with thinner wall tubes, bumping the tube diameter 1/8" is as large a change as moving from the thinnest wall mtb tubes to the thickest. The really thin wall tubes aren't used on this style of frame because they dent easily. In other words, the frame designer can make the frame as stiff/flexible as he wants without using expensive tubing, and the weight savings is small.

The moxie is a really sprawling bike. If you want to ride bike-oriented trails that can be pretty amazing, if you like to ride narrow old hiking trails it's pretty cumbersome. (i prefer this style geo on FS bikes, but not for hardtails) I suspect that shorter riders get along better with this style geo because the smaller versions have less total length.

You'll see a lot of variance in BB height on long travel hardtails. I like mine at ~290mm sagged, and consider 305 to be a nice normal height and 320 to be high.

That's all a bunch of opinion from some random dude.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Live Free & Ride
    This could fit the bill, but has 142 rear spacing. Everything else seems to check your boxes....

NS Bikes Eccentric Cromo 29" Frame 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

And heres another due to be released in July from OnOne. Not alot of info on tire size and also has 142 rear spacing, but looks solid....

https://factoryjackson.com/2016/06/3...ar-first-ride/
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROODD...hardtail-frame

17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Wow, the Deedar is pretty short. I'm 5'9" and ride a long (smaller) Moxie and feel great with 470mm of reach with a high stack on my home trails on Vancouver Island.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

One ring to mash them all
    Į\(į_o)/Į

Live Free & Ride
    I'll take the Green Nimble 9 Boost pleeze!....oh shoot, fresh out of the green! Seriously sweet hardtail right there!
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree with Travis on the Moxie at your height. We should be picking the fork. Manitou Mattoc Pro from bikecomponents.de is my suggestion.
    Review-
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbocharged View Post
    Sorry in advance for the book I'm about to write...

So I'm looking to build a steel hardtail trail bike that will go up nearly as well as it will go down. This will be my first non-DJ specific hardtail in 20 years and I'm trying to get out of my "I don't care how long it takes to get to the top as long as the bike rips on the way down" mentality.

Some of the things I want in my new bike
    - Relatively slack, but not overly so (66-67 degrees sagged)
    - Mid-length chainstays (more the 420mm, less than 430mm)
    - Designed around 130-150mm forks
    - Capable of running 27.5 x 2.6" tires
    - 12x148 boost rear axle spacing
    - Run a max stem length of 50mm (would prefer 40mm)
    Apart from your head angle you just descried the Nordest Bardino.
    https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/bardino-frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a hardtail after 20 years on FS bikes...advice needed-20180605_082903.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I'm a hobbyist framebuilder, i've built 5 frames for myself with similar geo to the ones you're looking at and i'm exactly your proportions.

Here's my current frame (unsagged), it's designed for technical XC and gets jumped as often as possible. It's very similar to the soul and P7, but built with a burly tube set.

With a 71* seat angle i don't think i could get the saddle in a position i was happy with unless i was running a fixed seatpost or a singlespeed. The soul and P7 are basically the same design with a different seat angle. The P7 would work fine for me, but i like sitting closer on the rear wheel. Personal preference though. The 18.5 stanton is much much too short and their sizing advice is weird. Total non-starter. The 19.5 is also small for my taste, but it's a worthwhile option for a XC'ish build with a longer stem. (you should only be considering the largest size of any frame at your height)
    Thanks for the input. Your thoughts on the Stanton are exactly what I was thinking and why have been leaning towards the P7. My main issue is that the P7 is quite expensive for a standard 4130.

853 steel means absolutely nothing in isolation. All steels flex the same amount, and while it's possible that an 853 frame was built with thinner wall tubes, bumping the tube diameter 1/8" is as large a change as moving from the thinnest wall mtb tubes to the thickest. The really thin wall tubes aren't used on this style of frame because they dent easily. In other words, the frame designer can make the frame as stiff/flexible as he wants without using expensive tubing, and the weight savings is small.
    The added strength of 853 to allow for thinner wall tubes to add some compliance and reduce weight is what I was expecting. I was imagining that is the reason why the Stanton frame is quite a bit lighter that some of the competition...maybe not though.

The moxie is a really sprawling bike. If you want to ride bike-oriented trails that can be pretty amazing, if you like to ride narrow old hiking trails it's pretty cumbersome. (i prefer this style geo on FS bikes, but not for hardtails) I suspect that shorter riders get along better with this style geo because the smaller versions have less total length.
    There are a lot of tight/twisty trails with a lot of trees here in the southeast, plus I like a playful bike. I really don't think the Moxie is for me....at least not the "longer" sized frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I've been riding Canfield Brothers bikes exclusively for about 5 years and the Nimble 9 was the original frame I planned on using for this build. I'm thinking I want to change things up for this bike, but it isn't completely off the list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I agree with Travis on the Moxie at your height. We should be picking the fork. Manitou Mattoc Pro from bikecomponents.de is my suggestion.
    Review-
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/
    I run the Mattoc on my Canfield Balance and love it. Not sure what fork I will run on this bike, but definitely haven't rule the Mattoc out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Apart from your head angle you just descried the Nordest Bardino.
    https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/bardino-frame
    Your right, that looks to fit the bill except the head angle is a bit too slack for what I'm looking for. With a 140mm 27.5" fork instead the head angle might be okay, but then I'd be worried about the overly steep seat angle. Maybe I'll throw it in CAD and take a look at the geometry with a short fork and see what it spits out.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Your right, that looks to fit the bill except the head angle is a bit too slack for what I'm looking for. With a 140mm 27.5" fork instead the head angle might be okay, but then I'd be worried about the overly steep seat angle.
    Well I am running a 140mm X-Fusion Trace with 2.5" DHF out front and dont notice any issues with ST angle.
    Bikes like this are not designed for their climbing prowess.
    That said, she climbs AOK.
    Put an Eagle with a 51tooth on and you can make a rock climb.

mtbr member
    Bikes like this are not designed for their climbing prowess.
    That is the reason I'm not wanting to build a full "aggro" hardtail and have specified fairly specific geo numbers. The bikes climbing ability is important, just slightly less so than its decent capability...call it 55/45 decent/climbing ability.

TR
    Angry bunny
    That is the reason I'm not wanting to build a full "aggro" hardtail and have specified fairly specific geo numbers. The bikes climbing ability is important, just slightly less so than its decent capability...call it 55/45 decent/climbing ability.
    I would be more worried about the head angle and fork length than the ST angle then.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Similar option at a lower cost would be the Honzo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Have you looked at the Guerilla Gravity PedalHead? Seems to fit your criteria.
    https://ridegg.com/pedalhead

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Have you looked at the Guerilla Gravity PedalHead? Seems to fit your criteria.
    https://ridegg.com/pedalhead
    I have actually exchanged emails with GG about the Pedalhead because I really like that bike. The CS is a little short, but my real hangup is the cost. The cheapest you can get the frame is $1280 shipped and that is just for black. If you want a different color add anywhere from $65-$195. I would want the LamborGG color, so mine would cost $1375. That's $500 more than I can get a non-standard color P7....or I could buy two Canfield Nimble 9 frames and give one to a friend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have actually exchanged emails with GG about the Pedalhead because I really like that bike. The CS is a little short, but my real hangup is the cost. The cheapest you can get the frame is $1280 shipped and that is just for black. If you want a different color add anywhere from $65-$195. I would want the LamborGG color, so mine would cost $1375. That's $500 more than I can get a non-standard color P7....or I could buy two Canfield Nimble 9 frames and give one to a friend.
    Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's small batch manufacturing right here in the USA by folks you can talk to on the phone and who (presumably) will help you out in the future should you have an issue (that's if any of these things matter to you). In my opinion, the cost is very reasonable all things considered. At least that's my perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's small batch manufacturing right here in the USA by folks you can talk to on the phone and who (presumably) will help you out in the future should you have an issue (that's if any of these things matter to you). In my opinion, the cost is very reasonable all things considered. At least that's my perspective.
    I don't disagree (and my communication with GG so far has been awesome), just not sure I can stretch the budget or reduce the quality of my components by that much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    A couple that haven't been mentioned I don't think:

Vassago VerHauen - new batch due in 4-5 weeks get 31.6 seattubes (prior they were 27.2 which kept many away)

Sonder Transmitter alloy - comes in XL

I'm currently shopping 29 hardtail frames that will fit 29x2.6 and the VerHauen and Sonder Signal Ti (how I learned about Sonder) are on my shortlist. The 17.5 chainstays on the Orange and Cotic in 29 flavors are keeping me away.

And I'm also in the SE so I appreciate wanting something nimble and not too slacked out. Good luck with your search.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My Moxie is the best climbing bike I have ever been on. The front end just stays down no matter what, and that's with a 150mm fork, high bar 65.5 HTA, and 30mm stem. For me it is the steep STA that keeps the front wheel planted. Anything similar would work for me.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not sure for the reason for the steel requirement. I just bought a Timberjack and it's the cat's pajamas. The Kona Unit X is pretty similar with a steel frame. You could also look at the new Soma frame whose name I forget.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Not sure for the reason for the steel requirement.
    Steel is the best frame material, so when you have a choice of materials and there are good options in steel then it's not worthwhile to consider the alternatives. Kinda like pressfit- it generally works fine, but there's plenty of good BSA choices so why would you consider a pressfit frame?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    just get a Large one of these, and be done with it

Chromag Bikes - Chromag Surface 29" / 27.5+"

mtbr member
    Kona Explosif? IIRC, frame was $450 USD.

As a bonus, you get the sliding dropouts, which very few HTs currently have. So while the chainstay length is 420mm, it technically can be longer, and you could run it as a SS, if you fancied. You'd have to inquire in the Kona forum about fitting 2.6 tires. Pre 2018 that was a tight squeeze. Website says 120mm fork, but you can run a 140. I am.

http://www.konaworld.com/explosif.cfm

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Steel is the best frame material
    OK. I'll let you know if I can tell the "harshness" of aluminum through the 5in fork and the 3in tires. I think I can't. Or if it ever breaks. I think it won't. You write back about rust in your paint chips, ok?

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the Chromag Surface, but the cost is too high. I think I have decided it is between the Orange P7 and the Cotic Soul. I'm open to the extended ETT on the Soul as long as I run the ultra short 35mm stem.

The question I have is about strength of the Cotic Soul. Can they take a beating like I expect the P7 to be able to or do I need to be gentle with it? (I'm 180lb, 6'2 or so, and will be on a large).

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the Chromag Surface, but the cost is too high. I think I have decided it is between the Orange P7 and the Cotic Soul. I'm open to the extended ETT on the Soul as long as I run the ultra short 35mm stem.

The question I have is about strength of the Cotic Soul. Can they take a beating like I expect the P7 to be able to or do I need to be gentle with it? (I'm 180lb, 6'2 or so, and will be on a large).
    Its no DH bike. Im happy riding it on all of my local trails which is steep and rocky. As long as you remember itís a 120mm trail hardtail then I wouldnít worry about it.

TR
    Angry bunny

Interesting.
    I discounted the Orange due to its cost.

mtbr member
    Its no DH bike. Im happy riding it on all of my local trails which is steep and rocky. As long as you remember itís a 120mm trail hardtail then I wouldnít worry about it.
    True, but I expect whatever I get to be able to handle a couple thousand feet of decent after a couple thousand feet of climbing. Nothing crazy, but steep, rocky and rooty decents with small 3-4 foot drops and gaps.

mtbr member
    Just consider it to be as strong as any 140mm all-mountain/trail bike, because it can take a 140mm fork! Iíd say thatís pretty tough.

mtbr member
    Interesting.
    I discounted the Orange due to its cost.
    The Chromag Surface shows that it is $1650 for the framset. The Orange P7 is just under $900 shipped.

The Chromag Wideangle and Stylus are much cheaper at $740.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post
    Just consider it to be as strong as any 140mm all-mountain/trail bike, because it can take a 140mm fork! Iíd say thatís pretty tough.

This is what I am hoping/expecting and that would be fine. I just want to be sure.

TR
    Angry bunny
    The Chromag Surface shows that it is $1650 for the framset. The Orange P7 is just under $900 shipped.

I am in Australia.
    The Orange P7 frame only is $1899 plus shipping.
    No idea on the Chromag as it was not a bike that interested me.
    For comparison, I can buy the Production Privee Shan for $999 shipped, and I bought my Bardino for $1,032 shipped.

mtbr member
    I am in Australia.
    The Orange P7 frame only is $1899 plus shipping.
    No idea on the Chromag as it was not a bike that interested me.
    For comparison, I can buy the Production Privee Shan for $999 shipped, and I bought my Bardino for $1,032 shipped.
    $1899 plus shipping for the P7, that's insane. Can't imagine they sell many at that price.

TR
    Angry bunny
    $1899 plus shipping for the P7, that's insane. Can't imagine they sell many at that price.
    Well I did not get any further than seeing the prices.
    Did not care what the geometry etc was once I saw that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Okay then just get the Rootdown Chromag Bikes - Chromag Bikes | Bikes | Rootdown BA 29" / 27.5"

Same bike but with a Taiwan frame instead of the Canadian one. Cheaper and everything you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input everyone. After much more deliberation than expected I just placed an order for a large Cotic Soul. Now its time to finalize my component selection .

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input everyone. After much more deliberation than expected I just placed an order for a large Cotic Soul. Now its time to finalize my component selection .
    Noice! Hereís mine for the 20th time on these forums, lol.

mtbr member
    Noice! Hereís mine for the 20th time on these forums, lol.

Thanks and nice bike. I wish I could have got that color but they are out of stock until October. I went for the mercury/magenta instead.

mtbr member
    Thanks and nice bike. I wish I could have got that color but they are out of stock until October. I went for the mercury/magenta instead.
    I strongly thought about getting that one too, and I was gonna do blue anodized components. It would look sweet!

mtbr member
    Any opinions on fork travel for the Cotic Soul? Cotic seems to recommend 120mm, but it accepts 140mm. Was thinking of running 130mm to split the difference but there aren't many forks offered in 130mm.

mtbr member
    Any opinions on fork travel for the Cotic Soul? Cotic seems to recommend 120mm, but it accepts 140mm. Was thinking of running 130mm to split the difference but there aren't many forks offered in 130mm.
    Iím running 130mm but I got that fork off of a 2017 model Cannondale. Iíd run 120-130mm but then again Iíve nothing at all to compare to because I havenít ridden many bikes at all. Just based on things I read on the internet. Get a Fox 34 stepcast! Lol

mtbr member
    Iím running 130mm but I got that fork off of a 2017 model Cannondale. Iíd run 120-130mm but then again Iíve nothing at all to compare to because I havenít ridden many bikes at all. Just based on things I read on the internet. Get a Fox 34 stepcast! Lol

I was actually considering the step cast, but I can never change it to 140mm if I felt like I wanted to (unlike the normal 34). It is very tempting though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I jave a pike debonair at 120mm. When I spoke to Cy he said its optimised for 120mm but knows some people prefer to overfork their bike. If ypu wanted 140mm then the bFe is designed for that travel.

mtbr member
    I jave a pike debonair at 120mm. When I spoke to Cy he said its optimised for 120mm but knows some people prefer to overfork their bike. If ypu wanted 140mm then the bFe is designed for that travel.
    The Soul was optimized around 120mm, but was designed for up to 140mm so I don't think it is wrong to run one. The BFe just was too much bike for what I want.

With that said, I really think I want the 120mm fork...just looking for other opinions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My $1500 Surly Karate Monkey checks most of your boxes. 140mm fork, 67.5 degree head angle, 27.5x3" tires, 417mm chainstays, Gnot boost rear spacing. The only question besides the .5 degrees of head angle and 3mm of chainstay length is can you get it large enough to run that short a stem?

mtbr member
    Don't know where the Alu h8 is coming from...??

Own a '17 Nukeproof Scout 290, running a 140mm X-Fusion fork & 2.6/2.35 tires.

Bike was designed around a 130mm fork, but it rips @140. I wouldn't want to run any less either.

On the climbs, I hold the Scout back & on the downs... I'll pip my m8's on their FS rigs ;-)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Largest Tire for ROS 9?
    A used ros 9 with a custom wheelset is the way I would go. 29x2.6 tires and a great geometry for XC/aggressive trail riding. I

mtbr member
    No aluminum hate, just wanted steel is all.

I already bought the Cotic Soul and need to pick it up at UPS when I get back in town on Friday. Looking forward to the build, but need to sell some other stuff before I can really start ordering parts.

Short-Change-Hero
    No aluminum hate, just wanted steel is all.

I already bought the Cotic Soul and need to pick it up at UPS when I get back in town on Friday. Looking forward to the build, but need to sell some other stuff before I can really start ordering parts.
    Nice... coming late to the party but was going to recommend the Soul and BFe from Cotic, Shan from Production Privee, or the Sherpa from Stanton (if you were looking for steel outside the US). Only thing I don't necessarily like about the Stanton and PP are they utilize press fit bb's which I have not had luck with in the past. I know people say that the previous issues have been corrected but just a bad taste from that.

Would love to get my hands on/throw leg over a Shan N*5, RocketMAX, Switch9rFS and a Swarf Contour. But being on the west coast of the US makes that next to impossible and really don't feel like being a guinea pig for those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Would love to get my hands on/throw leg over a Shan N*5, RocketMAX, Switch9rFS and a Swarf Contour. But being on the west coast of the US makes that next to impossible and really don't feel like being a guinea pig for those.
    Agree with the RocketMax and Shan N*5. Really interested, but it's a lot more of a financial risk than the hardtail frames.

Short-Change-Hero
    Agree with the RocketMax and Shan N*5. Really interested, but it's a lot more of a financial risk than the hardtail frames.
    Exactly... I was that close to pulling the trigger on a RocketMAX when they went on sale a couple months ago (2017 stock with longshot geo closeout) but then realized that with VAT and everything it would be close to a $2500 US frame for me. I can get a damn nice, semi-custom GG Smash for that cost and if I have issues they are a timezone away from me (and somewhere I visit on almost a yearly basis). So decided to go with USA Made instead. Really REALLY wanted a steel FS but just too rich for my blood at this point.