mtbr member
    Apr 2012

On a budget.. 3700 or 4300 Disc Trek for Intermediate Trails?

I am on a budget but want to get into XC trail Intermediate riding.. I am debating on the 3700 or 4300 Disc Trek for Intermediate Trails. I want to get an EX 8 in the next year or two but I need something good in the mean time. I won't do jumps or anything like that. I like beefy tires like the XR4 or the Pana Racer Rampage so I might need to do a tire swap, but nothing more for a while.

I am just nervous getting a 3700 that is not up for the task. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Personally, hydraulic brakes are the only way to go. Other than that, there aren't too many differences. Slightly better (which is questionable) components.

Check craigslist for something used but a little nicer to stay in your budget.

mtbr member
    It's a wash, component-wise, between those two. The 4300 may have slightly better brakes and 9-speed but if you're on a budget with plans already to get a better bike, then used is probably the better option. For one of the two mentioned, I'd get the 3700.
    Last edited by rogsim; 09-17-2012 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    im actually going through the same progression, bought a 4300 disc early last year and have ordered a left over 2012 trek fuel ex 8 on closeout. my buddy has a 3700 and lives out in CO, he keeps up with me when we're back in WI riding intermediate trails. that being sad, his biggest complaint is the lack of disc brakes. i love the discs, it was worth the money to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The 3700 is also disc. Here are the differences;

Upgrades from 3700 Disc
    Alpha Gold Aluminum frame
    Shimano 9-speed drivetrain
    Hayes hydraulic disc brakes
    Bontrager XR2 off-road tires (although I would have them swap them for XR4)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmunas View Post
    The 3700 is also disc. Here are the differences;

Upgrades from 3700 Disc
    Alpha Gold Aluminum frame
    Shimano 9-speed drivetrain
    Hayes hydraulic disc brakes
    Bontrager XR2 off-road tires (although I would have them swap them for XR4)
    sorry misunderstood there, if you know youll upgrade id probably go with the 3700 then. just my 2 cents.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Go for the 3700 and save yourself some money for other things like riding shorts, gloves, helmet. Personally i'll stay away from cheap hydralic brakes as you will proabably run into more problems than the mechanical ones.

mtbr member
    One of my riding friends has a Trek 4300. The first upgrade he did was swap the junk Hayes for a set of Elixir 7's. Granted he snapped the front lever on a rock, but that's beside the point.