mtbr member

Bronson C vs. Enduro S Works 29 Frame only

Will the 17.3" Chainstays on the Bronson seem way longer than the 16.9" on the S Works 29? Which would you buy and why?

mtbr member
    I went from a 2011 S works Stumpjumper with 16.5" chainstays to a 2013 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert 29er with 17.9" chainstays and just couldn't ride it like my 26er. I pretty much just had to point it and let the wheels roll over stuff versus maneuvering the bike and manualing or wheelying. I tried my son's Santa Cruz Nomad with 17.4" chainstays and felt the same problem. Long stays help with technical climbing as well as the bottom bracket drop on the 29er helps stay planted to the trail when climbing. But all the skills you have aquired for riding a 26er do not transfer the same. Due to the bottom bracket drop and long chainstays, balance points on 29ers are completely different. If you were thinking about bigger wheels, why not get the best of both worlds, short chainstays and bigger wheels. The only problem is you have to wait for the S-Works 29er to come available. I liked the 29er and could see its merits, but the short chainstays and handling of a 26er just called to me and I finally switched back to a 26er(2013 S-Works Enduro Carbon) after almost a year on the twenty niner. The Enduro SE 29er looks very interesting, but milimeters make a huge difference with how a bike performs. But even though the chainstays are short and the wheelbase seems in check, the larger diameter of the wheels makes the overall length of 29ers ( outside of front wheel to outside of back wheel) difficult to maneuver through tight spots that 26ers have no problems with. All that being said, if my choice was either a 650B bronson or and Enduro 29er, my loyalty to Specialized, my previous experience with 29 inch wheels and their superior rollover along with the short chainstays of the Enduro would have me sold on the Enduro. I know the numbers look close, but a few millimeters make a huge difference. I was very intrigued by the new Enduro 29er, but not only did I not want to wait for the S-Works to become available, but the color was wrong for me and it did not have 419mm chainstays like my 26er. It my be obsolete soon, but I do love my new 26er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    I went from a 2011 S works Stumpjumper with 16.5" chainstays to a 2013 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert 29er with 17.9" chainstays and just couldn't ride it like my 26er. I pretty much just had to point it and let the wheels roll over stuff versus maneuvering the bike and manualing or wheelying. I tried my son's Santa Cruz Nomad with 17.4" chainstays and felt the same problem. Long stays help with technical climbing as well as the bottom bracket drop on the 29er helps stay planted to the trail when climbing. But all the skills you have aquired for riding a 26er do not transfer the same. Due to the bottom bracket drop and long chainstays, balance points on 29ers are completely different. If you were thinking about bigger wheels, why not get the best of both worlds, short chainstays and bigger wheels. The only problem is you have to wait for the S-Works 29er to come available. I liked the 29er and could see its merits, but the short chainstays and handling of a 26er just called to me and I finally switched back to a 26er(2013 S-Works Enduro Carbon) after almost a year on the twenty niner. The Enduro SE 29er looks very interesting, but milimeters make a huge difference with how a bike performs. But even though the chainstays are short and the wheelbase seems in check, the larger diameter of the wheels makes the overall length of 29ers ( outside of front wheel to outside of back wheel) difficult to maneuver through tight spots that 26ers have no problems with. All that being said, if my choice was either a 650B bronson or and Enduro 29er, my loyalty to Specialized, my previous experience with 29 inch wheels and their superior rollover along with the short chainstays of the Enduro would have me sold on the Enduro. I know the numbers look close, but a few millimeters make a huge difference. I was very intrigued by the new Enduro 29er, but not only did I not want to wait for the S-Works to become available, but the color was wrong for me and it did not have 419mm chainstays like my 26er. It my be obsolete soon, but I do love my new 26er
    Wow! Thanks for the great response! I think I am going to go with the enduro and hopefully it will be as poppy and fun as a 29er can be : / still wondering if I should just get the 26 lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Bronson C vs. Enduro S Works 29 Frame only

Either the enduro 29 or 26 will be a fantastic bike. I rode both and decided I like the extra wheel stiffness and lower bars of the 26. The 29 enduro does turn surprisingly good for a 29. I got a 2013 enduro s works, coming off a nomad 2 and I absolutely love the specialized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    I went from a 2011 S works Stumpjumper with 16.5" chainstays to a 2013 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert 29er with 17.9" chainstays and just couldn't ride it like my 26er. I pretty much just had to point it and let the wheels roll over stuff versus maneuvering the bike and manualing or wheelying. I tried my son's Santa Cruz Nomad with 17.4" chainstays and felt the same problem.
    I ride both a older SC VP-Free and a Giant Reign. The VP having much longer chainstay than the Giant. Stem length has great affect on the ability to manual/wheelie.

The VP has a 45mm stem and the Giant a 60mm stem, the VP is only just a little bit harder to get the front wheel to pop.

With the 45mm stem on the Giant had a very hard time keeping the front end down and vise versa with the 60mm stem on the VP, had a hard time popping the front end.

I much prefer the longer chainstay and short stem on the VP.