mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Broken rear suspension linkage

So I've broken part a part of the rear suspension on my Reign X1 (2010) and I can't find any info on this type of problem, so I joined this forum to see if you fine people can help.

The part that I've broken links the bottom bracket to the lower bar of the rear fork. Hopefully I've explained that clearly. It's the piece of metal that allows the rear fork to pivot close to the bottom bracket. I've attached a picture, but it's hard to see the break because it's kind of hidden behind the chain ring (keep in mind that the bike's upside down).

I can't find any info on this type of problem. It might help if I knew the name of the park I've broken. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a replacement for the part I've broken? Any thoughts on how the hell this could have happened would be helpful too; I mean that part is like half a centimeter thick, and I only weigh about 70kg!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130426_213906.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	793867
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken rear suspension linkage-20130426_213906.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks.

So my bike is actually a piece of crap that breaks all the time I guess I'll contact giant about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I wouldn't say it's a "piece of crap" I'd say it's either some design flaw, or maybe a bad batch of linkages. I believe they fixed them right?

perpetual pucker factor
    They did fix them. The first run was too weak, but all others since that time are fine.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    They did fix them. The first run was too weak, but all others since that time are fine.

Really? I got the impression from "The OFFICIAL "I broke my Lower Link on my 2010 Reign X" thread", that the problem hadn't been properly resolved. A few people had started sawing part of the frame off to allow a beefier link to fit.

But if if there is a replacement part that works, then that's great. What exactly is the part, so I know what to ask for?