mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Broken chains...

I am a competitive mtb racer in cross country and Super and have a major problem with breaking chains. Is it jst me or does it seem like chains are not made very well?? Please give me any feedback as I'm seriously considering starting a company that builds an unbreakable chain.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Wow, I can't recall ever breaking a chain. But I usually wear them out to the point that I have to replace them every 4 months or so.

I already rode that
    Havent really broken a chain in quite sometime now. I've broken Srams and Shimano chains though. Prob its your shifting habits thats contributing to the chains breaking on you.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    I brake my chain about 3 times a year. I put a huge amount of torque on the drive train and it make the chain ware quickly.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

mtbr member
    Either you're a monster on the bike or you're shifting with the power on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I went through a stint where I was breaking both SRAM and Shimano chains pretty regularly. The problem was that the chain line was not set correctly on my bike.

mtbr member
    you, should always keep the chain lubed, and never dry, and install pins correctly (just to state the obvious)
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

househusband
    One word: Rohloff.

(Will be back later to explain why but have just spent the last hour cooking and we're just about to eat.)

househusband
    Give the Rohloff SLT99 a shot; they have a much greater pin retention force than even the SRAM PC991 Cross-step. I've been using them on two bikes for a year or so now and have yet to have one register 0.75% on my Park chain wear indicator. I'm a reasonably sized bloke (6'2" and 200lbs) and am not the lightest of riders. They also clean up very, very nicely and you can still use SRAM Powerlinks with them.

In the US you should be able to get them either on eBay, or direct from one of the online German shops for about $40m if my Ä to £ to $ conversion is about right...

mtbr member
    I broke the SRAM 971 after 400 km.....putting a big tourque on pedals.
    I buyed a shimano xtr 7701 dura ace and for now is going well...
    I read some reviews and the best one it should be the rohloff SLT99.Try...

mtbr member
    I also have the same problem.

I donít know if my strength increased so much in the last years...
    But since Jan.2007 till now, Iíve broke 3 HG93 chains, and one commuter chain (donít know brand... itís all black and itís really ugly and weight two times HG93!). This last one broke after a really hard push on the pedals, to cross from one road lane to a left road - I was almost hit by a car, and smash my knee on the stem!

Chains properly mounted - as indicated by Shimano shop manual. With Production Double check

Iíve changed for a new HG92... let see what happens!

Ah... when they brake the out-side plate links are all bent...

But itís really strange.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickySilk
    ... or you're shifting with the power on.
    That is usually the problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Generally run slightly longer chain, don't shift under power too much, don't over cross gears, when breaking the chain with tool do so gently and carefully and use one of the slightly oversize pins to replace (esp for shim), use WET lubes t-9 or finish line xcountry wet but quick clean every ride. (really important). Yeah I know the attracts dirt debate etc, but dry lubes really do not work. Btw, leave factory shipped grease on the new chain as it is best lube around.
    Also, I had really good luck with the nickel-plated Wipperman Connex 908 9 Speed Chain. NOT the stainless. (Compared to all of the shim and sram chains over the years.) http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...peed-Chain.htm
    PS change your cassette and middle ring at same time.
    Just my experience over last 20 years, your mileage may vary.
    here's some good stuff.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html