mtbr member
    Feb 2008

broke my frame - time for a new bike

been lurking for a while, so here is a nice long post. yesterday i managed to break the weld on the rear suspension/frame on my old jamis dakar sport. i used to ride bmx a lot years ago (mostly street and a little DJ) and just got in to mtn biking about a month ago. i picked this bike up from a friend for near nothing to see how much i liked mtn biking and to figure out what kind of bike i need. obviously the xc jamis was not up to the task of a few small jumps to flat landings (no more than 2 ft of air). in its defense, it was probably ridden pretty hard by the previous owner too.

i'm looking to buy used and am trying to decide if i want another FS or go for a hard tail. there are two used bikes i'm looking at, a 2003 kona dawg primo and a 2004 haro escape 8.3.

i'm not sure what "style" riding i do (still learning the terminology - i'm guessing 'all mountain' since i'm in this forum), nothing crazy to ride on close around here except typical XC trails, but i like to go fast on trails with technical sections, hit log crossings as jumps, and look for small drops to jump off of. i may do a little urban riding, but less than 10%. i'm no show boat though, i don't see me catching more than 3 ft of air on jumps or doing drops more than 4 ft any time soon. i can't risk putting myself out of work

with that said, i'm leaning towards the kona because i'm used to riding a FS rig now and it seems like it can take the riding i do. I can get the haro for $350 less and figured there is less there for me to break. i've ridden the kona in a parking lot and it feels pretty good, checking out the haro tomorrow.

is there anything else i should think about when deciding between these two bikes? i plan on making a decision within the next 2 days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I haven't ridden a Dawg Primo before, but I have ridden with people who were on them. They seemed like a quality FS bike to me.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Kona sounds like just the kind of bike for you.

mtbr member
    Some of the early Dawgs (03-04) have broken their rear triangle at the brace by the bottom pivot, and the later models (05-on) have a redesigned rear end which seems to hold up a little better. I get the feeling from your description of your riding, that your jumps and drops may be a little more than Kona says the Dawg is designed to handle.

A Coiler might be better for you than a Dawg, as it is designed with a little heavier duty tubing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the heads up, i stumbled upon a few threads about that and thought about it some.

surprisingly, this morning i found a used 2004 kona coiler not too far away from me for less than the dawg. going to look at it tonight. maybe it's meant to be...haha

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    If you like the Jamis, why not look for a new one? Not new is brand new but I figure you should be able to find some used one's for sale as well. Don't know how old your Jamis is but if it's from 2003-4 or so, it used the FSR rear which Jamis's no longer do.....if that matters to you.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Jamis, you can get a Dakar XLT cheap..
    how much are you spending, or thinking of spending?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i bought the kona coiler i looked at tonight. got it for a heck of a deal too! brought it home and gave it a quick tune up and cleaning, good as new. it feels much sturdier than the dawg i checked out before, so i'm glad i held out and found this one. i think the dawg would have felt better had it had a heaver spring on the rear shock, but i still think i would choose the coiler just for the better upgrade options if i ever need it. i've only ridden it on the street by my house hopping over some curbs and stuff, but it puts a smile on my face just doing that. it feels completely different from what i was riding before and i prefer this type much better. took it down some steps and feels much more stable and requires less effort to get your weight back.

thanks for the opinions. can't wait to hit the trails!