mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Broke my Fisher Roscoe II. XC or Freeride bike

Apparantly it's an "All Mountain" bike according to classification, but to me it's really just a long travel (120-140mm adjustable travel), 31 lb Xcountry bike. I've never really ridden the bike on anything that I consider more than a XC trail, my biggest drop was not more than 2 feet, but while washing it last week, I discovered a crack in the chainstay weld. My local shop that I bought it from is going to warranty it no problem (yet another argument from purchasing from LBS)
    Love the bike! Agressive geometry, I can dive into tight corners as well as bomb rooty downhills without worry, and it climbs pretty fair as well; so why is it classified as an all mountain bike, even with standard XC gearing?

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf&turf View Post
    Apparantly it's an "All Mountain" bike according to classification, but to me it's really just a long travel (120-140mm adjustable travel), 31 lb Xcountry bike. I've never really ridden the bike on anything that I consider more than a XC trail, my biggest drop was not more than 2 feet, but while washing it last week, I discovered a crack in the chainstay weld. My local shop that I bought it from is going to warranty it no problem (yet another argument from purchasing from LBS)
    Love the bike! Agressive geometry, I can dive into tight corners as well as bomb rooty downhills without worry, and it climbs pretty fair as well; so why is it classified as an all mountain bike, even with standard XC gearing?
    Well, it's basically a HiFi with a plusher rear shock and 1" of extra travel in the fork. So, yea, it's really a long travel XC bike.

I've been breaking and getting replacement Trek/Gary Fisher bikes for years now. It's a little inconvenient but nice to get a new frame every year or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf&turf View Post
    so why is it classified as an all mountain bike, even with standard XC gearing?
    Roscoe's geometry was a bit weird, set up according to the manual it came out fairly xc-ish, but with a little less air in the shock and and little more compression on the fork it could be made to come out around a 66deg head angle and then it ripped.

Not the strongest frame though...

Sounds like the current Fuel EX8/9 frame would be a good match for you. The last few year's models have been stronger than in the past and the geometry isn't far off the Roscoe, but with 120mm travel and a 142x12 through axle on the EX9.

Only downside to them is that press fit bb, but it's getting hard to find short travel frames without them.