mtbr member
    May 2013

Brand new Remedy 7 versus 2010 SC Nomad

Hi guys,

I need some bike advice! I'm looking at buying an all-mountain bike for around $2200. The Trek Remedy 7 is a pretty darn good option for the price point, and I like that it has Fox front and rear because I'm hopelessly infatuated with brand names and stuff like that.

My uncle is offering to sell me his Santa Cruz Nomad, which he's really tricked out. He's selling because he's going to upgrade to a Bronson 27.5 He's also pretty well off.

Here's his description:

Sorry to be so blunt but the Nomad as I have it, is the bike. I realize others have gotten better but the best is still the best. When MTB did a survey about the best bike made from components it is my bike with only one thing different, the seat post system. I have long legs and don't need that function. The bike is a large aluminum (27.5 pounds) with carbon bars and post, XTR, King hubs and head, Stan's rims - quite light (might have to be changed to Mavic due to your weight), 200 F and 180 R brakes which makes control so much easier because it broadens out the pressure requirements so you don't lock up . You know the shock (DHX), with the VPP there is no pedal bob so you don't need the lockout. The fork is a Van, no need for the Talas junk, straight forward and just works, very tunable.>

What are your thoughts? I'm kinda fed up with used bikes (my used GF Hifi gave me no end of trouble) and I'd like to get a new one, but this Nomad would be bullet proof except for those carbon bits. It's also a solid 4 pounds lighter than the Remedy. He does want about $800 more than the Remedy, but let's assume that's not the problem.

I've also heard that Nomads don't climb as well - is that true? I do a lot of climbing due to the Northern Nevada terrain. I'm 5'11" and around 200 pounds.

I'd love your input! Thanks guys,

Kevin
    >

mtbr member
    Some uncle, is he a used car salesman? I think you uncle is asking top dollar for his bike.

If he was asking $1500-2,000 it might be worth it. It's a used bike, you seem to know all too well the issues that can wait for you down the line. Spend 3k on a used bike with no warranty - no way but thats just my opinion.

If your open to spending around 3K a whole bunch of bikes are within your grasp. Perhaps even a new entry level Nomad/Bronson depending on your shop. Also the entry level Norco 650b bikes, Mojo SL special Blend and RM 730 are well with reach.

I did a short test ride of the Nomad on the pavement, for what its worth I liked it... a lot.

Cant speak to the Trek. Does Trek make good bikes?

Wouldn't it be ironic if you spent your hard earned 3 grand on a new Bronson aluminum R AM?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey thanks Junky

So you think I should talk him down to the $2000 level? Frankly I can't afford anything over $2200 because I'm selling my road bike to get here haha. Kinda like fixed income

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it. The Trek Remedy has a lot going for it, but so does a tricked out Nomad haha.

Thanks!

Kevin

mtbr member
    He says its 27.5 lbs. That gives you an idea of his truthfulness. With a 36 Vanilla? Add at least 4 lbs to that build and you might be close.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hahaha, good point dude. That's a freaking beefy fork. My GF Hifi is pretty spec'd out but it's an XC race bike.

Welp, the biggest thing is I like riding Medium frames... I'll go check out his bike and see if it works alright with my riding style, since it's a Large.

Thanks for your advice guys - and if anybody has testimonials about the Remedy over the Nomad, I'd love to feed my confirmation bias

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGlover View Post
    Hey thanks Junky

So you think I should talk him down to the $2000 level? Frankly I can't afford anything over $2200 because I'm selling my road bike to get here haha. Kinda like fixed income

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it. The Trek Remedy has a lot going for it, but so does a tricked out Nomad haha.

Thanks!

Kevin
    Your welcome, yeah absolutely talk him down. If you do a quick search on ebay on Santa cruz Nomad and look at the SOLD listing you will see that used aluminum Nomads are going for a about 2k give or take, $2800- 3,200 is used Carbon Nomad territory. The spec sounds nice and so does the weight, though it sounds a bit optimistic with a Vanilla fork on there. So if he is a really good uncle he will go under 2k. If he is like uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite he will probably squeeze you for every penny. “So uh, how does the dealio sound to you?”

New Remedy vs. Used Nomad….. my heart says Nomad, my brain says Remedy. I would go with my heart. More travel, better bike, it does not say Trek on it, three pluses make it right! I am assuming your uncle is the original owner? So if you have issues with it, he could probably take care of it for you.

mtbr member
    I think the main question is.... Is your uncle a hardcore thrasher or, like a lot of people on MTBR, is he an expert E-Rider who builds up a super blinged out wonder bike and then rides it like a littuhl gurl for 6 months before becoming convinced he needs to build a different bike? If he's the latter, then it would be a much more desirable bike than the Trek, IMO... and I don't think there's anything wrong with Remedies, or Trek in general.
    Also, don't try to make yourself fit onto a bike because it's a good price.... if it's not the right size then forget about it. However, SC's large size is a lot like many other brands' mediums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My Nomadc with the SPX AM build is 30.4 lbs. with a Fox Dropper post and Shwalbe Hans dampfs. It also has the rockshox lyric AIR fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If its full XTR drivetrain and brakes, with the king wheel set that's about an extra $5-700 added to most mid level build prices for a used bike. I don't think he's trying to get every penny out of you but $3k is still a lot for a used bike. I'd say more in the $2400 range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Brand new Remedy 7 versus 2010 SC Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I think the main question is.... Is your uncle a hardcore thrasher or, like a lot of people on MTBR, is he an expert E-Rider who builds up a super blinged out wonder bike and then rides it like a littuhl gurl for 6 months before becoming convinced he needs to build a different bike?
    That is funny!

I was almost guilty of this... I had a trek fuel ex and convinced myself that i needed more, so i bought a brand new transition covert 26... Through deciding on what bike and then waiting for it, for 3/4 weeks, i thought. Do i really need it? Am i really gonna use it for what's is made for? Or am i gonna wuss out on all these big drops and jumps..??

First ride out with the transition i knew why i wanted it.. I'm Doing way more than i ever did on the trek. Drops,jumps, step ups and some gnarly trails. Wish i had some good pics of other great features that are 10 min from my house..
    Fun step up

I have not nutted up enough for this drop yet though.. Pic is hard to tell but it's big.. About a 13-15' drop.. Maybe when i get a full face and maybe a neck brace.. Haha

Sorry for the Hijack.. OP tough choice.. Condition is everything on used though, like everyone else said, if that nomad is in great shape then talk him down a little and it sounds like an awesome bike.. Doesn't the remedy come with a fox 32 now? I'd want at least a fox 34 or better yet the RS lyrik on that bike..
    Last edited by Dirk77; 05-27-2013 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BIKEMAG has a review of the 2013 Remedy. Sounds like they nailed it except they under-forked it. The 32 is way too little a fork for that bike - needs at least the 34.

My buddy picked up one 3 seasons ago. He has had endless trouble with the proprietary rear shock (sent back 3-4 times for replacement) and recently his Fox 34 stanchions seperated from the crown. He's around 200lbs but not exactly a big hitter so he's getting it rebuilt and unloading it for a Pivot Firebird with 650b wheels.

Nomad is a great bike, depending on condition. Sounds like it has some King bling which brings it up in price a bit. $2k sounds about right. Borrow it and ride it over a range of conditions first and see for yourself.

I'm partial to VPP and DWlink designs myself - having owned several Intenses

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It sounds like you want the Remedy put you're getting pressured into the Nomad. $800 minus the taxes will help you spec up the remedy, but truly you want a bike that fits and that your more stoked on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    First, if the Nomad doesn't fit you well, it's end of story. You're really going to regret being on a large if you really should be on a medium and vice versa. Looking at your height, you're probably an edge case. I'm 6'0" and I probably couldn't get away with a Med on most bike brands.

I can't speak to how the Nomad climbs, but the Trek ABP is not a climbing-oriented linkage. You'll spend a lot of time in the Trail setting if you catch my drift. It isn't a bad climber at all, but it just isn't on par with some of the more sophisticated designs.

As others have said, something is fishy with the advertised weight. A 7lb frame with a reservoir shock, a Van, an XTR build and Stan's rims (Arches I'm guessing?) on Kings is probably in the 30lb range, maybe +/- half a pound. Unless he's skimping on rubber, which would defeat the purpose of the other heavier components.

That said, the parts spec on the Nomad is much, much better. The XTR stuff will last quite a while if maintained, so as long as that's in good condition I wouldn't worry about it being used. Same goes for Kings. If you went with the Remedy, the first thing you would want to do is dump $500 into the wheels. You might also find the Elixir 3 brakes insufficient. On both bikes, I'd highly recommend adding a dropper post.

And of course, there are a lot of other options in the $2500-$3000 range. Someone mentioned the Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend, which would be one nice (new) bike for the money. Playful, responsive, lighter, and a super-efficient climber. The only downsides I can see compared to the Trek is that it's in a slightly different class. 140mm with a short wheelbase and a 69deg HTA, it's more of a nimble trail bike than an AM sled. The other two options will likely be better descenders when things get really rough. If that doesn't conflict with your intended use, though, I'd pick it over the Trek any day. That said, I'd still recommend putting a dropper on it, upgrading the brakes, and eventually the wheelset, in that order.

mtbr member

Pay attention to the grin factor!

Do yourself favor and go test ride a 29er on a trail before droping that much coin.

I never thought I would be seriously looking at 29er. Test rode an HD and a Ripley the other day. I had my heart set on the HD, then I gave the Ripley a shot. My whole perception of what I want from an mtb changed in one little ride!

Long story short, while riding the Ripley I found myself realising that bigger wheels trump more suspension in most cases. I did not wat to return the bike and went for an extra loop (although I was already beat after the HD ride). I became suddenly aware of giddy grin on my face I could not wipe off. The fun factor of a 29er is way way bigger than a 26er for me, now I have to get a 27.5 on the trail.

Also the puddle I endoed into face first on the 26er was gobbled up without any hesitiation by the 29er!

That severity of the grin on my face will be the gauge by which I will choose my bike.

mtbr member
    Dirk77, where are those trails? Looks fun!

mtbr member

Brand new Remedy 7 versus 2010 SC Nomad

I never thought I'd want a 29 either until I rode a friends stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Brand new Remedy 7 versus 2010 SC Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Dirk77, where are those trails? Looks fun!
    Beacon hill, right in the middle of Spokane, WA. It is an awesome trail system.. Good climbing and lots of good downhill. Dirt jump park too..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    [QUOTE=KevinGlover;10420654]Hi guys,

I need some bike advice! I'm looking at buying an all-mountain bike for around $2200. The Trek Remedy 7 is a pretty darn good option for the price point, and I like that it has Fox front and rear because I'm hopelessly infatuated with brand names and stuff like that.

My uncle is offering to sell me his Santa Cruz Nomad, which he's really tricked out. He's selling because he's going to upgrade to a Bronson 27.5 He's also pretty well off.

Here's his description:

Sorry to be so blunt but the Nomad as I have it, is the bike. I realize others have gotten better but the best is still the best. When MTB did a survey about the best bike made from components it is my bike with only one thing different, the seat post system. I have long legs and don't need that function. The bike is a large aluminum (27.5 pounds) with carbon bars and post, XTR, King hubs and head, Stan's rims - quite light (might have to be changed to Mavic due to your weight), 200 F and 180 R brakes which makes control so much easier because it broadens out the pressure requirements so you don't lock up . You know the shock (DHX), with the VPP there is no pedal bob so you don't need the lockout. The fork is a Van, no need for the Talas junk, straight forward and just works, very tunable.>

What are your thoughts? I'm kinda fed up with used bikes (my used GF Hifi gave me no end of trouble) and I'd like to get a new one, but this Nomad would be bullet proof except for those carbon bits. It's also a solid 4 pounds lighter than the Remedy. He does want about $800 more than the Remedy, but let's assume that's not the problem.

I've also heard that Nomads don't climb as well - is that true? I do a lot of climbing due to the Northern Nevada terrain. I'm 5'11" and around 200 pounds.

I'd love your input! Thanks guys,

Kevin
    >

I am going to be as blunt as your uncle - he's trying to fleece you. A 2010 aluminum nomad with that build is a $2000 bike max - and there is no way it weighs under 30lbs. I just bought a barely used XL 2013 carbon nomad for just over 3000 - comparable build except for a fox float fork and dropper post and it still tips the scales at a bit over 30 lbs. Which is still very respectable for a bike as capable as this. And no dropper post because its not necessary? And a fox van because of "talas crap"? Doesn't really sound like your uncle is very well informed. I have been riding a 2011 giant faith 0 for the past couple years and as awesome of a bike as that was the nomad blows it out of the water. Nimble, responsive, fun - amazing climber and slays the descents. I thought it would be a huge compromise coming from a freeride bike but the nomad is great off of jumps and drops. I am a big fan of the 2nd gen VPP suspension - super plush and active when you want it to be and stable when you need to pedal. I am 6'1" and usually ride a large but after test riding I went with an XL and a short stem. These are great bikes and very well built. I wouldn't hesitate jumping on one - just maybe not your uncles.

mtbr member
    Hate to thread dredge, but the other Santa Cruz - good deal? thread reminded me of this one...

Brand new Remedy 7 versus 2010 SC Nomad-heywhahappened.png

Dont leave us hangin, did uncle Rico get the sale?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the continued interest Junky Uncle Rico did NOT get the sale, but neither did Trek in the end. I got a spanking good deal on a Santa Cruz 5010 (er, Solo) and it's probably the perfect bike for me right now. It's big enough and stiff enough to handle everything that my balls are big enough for - Eventually I'll need more travel, but this is already a heck of a step up from my GF Hifi.

So for now, I love it - hopefully new bike fever stays away from me for a good few years!

mtbr member
    Nice! Uncle Rico’s sweet tears of jealousy must be a nice addition to a most awesome new bike. Dare I say better than both of the options you were looking at initialy.

mtbr member
    Very cool choice!
    I'm jealous!

FYI; I really love the new geo on the latest Trek EX models, it's right where it needs to be, and price at $2K for a SLX setup isn't to bad for 130mm EX 6 (26").