mtbr member
    Jan 2004

BrakeTime: XTM8000 with 180/203 rotors vs ZEE with 160/180 rotors?

Deciding between these two brakes. Both excellent Shimano quality

XTM8000 single pistons with larger 180/203 rotors...

OR

ZEE dual pistons with 160/180 rotors...

For AM dual pistons might be a bit much, but the smaller rotors might be better. But if single pistons, the larger rotors could help. Ive run the older M785 with the 180/203 combo. Works great.

But wondering about the Zee 160/180 combo. Less brake fade maybe?

Anyone try such a combo on their rigs?
    We Ride In God's Country!

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Deciding between these two brakes. Both excellent Shimano quality.

But wondering about the Zee 160/180 combo. Less brake fade maybe?

Anyone try such a combo on their rigs?
    only have front zees. The larger pads help with less fade on a 180 rotor. modulation is good as well. 2 pad choices are avail, ie metal and resin for varied conditions.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 05-08-2016 at 05:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just dropped my xt m8000s for zees. The new xt's had this wierd pump issue that changed the bite point. I also found them less powerful than the previous 785's; however modulation was better.
    With the zees i get power and modulation with no pump. Win win.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    why not run 203/180 with the Zee's?

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    i suspect a personal choice. The 180 does the trick for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    because with the dual pistons, the larger rotor size might be overkill. thats more of a DH set up. and if i dont have to use the larger rotors which also requires adapters, i'm saving a bit of weight and costs. its nice to not have to use adapters. less stuff to have to add, less screws and hardware just make a cleaner easier to maintain bike. not that i mind adapters, just more simple without extras where possible.

It seems at least one here is using 180s.

i've heard of problems with the new m2000s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    True. Can appreciate simple and clean =)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_flow View Post
    Just dropped my xt m8000s for zees. The new xt's had this wierd pump issue that changed the bite point. I also found them less powerful than the previous 785's; however modulation was better.
    With the zees i get power and modulation with no pump. Win win.

Only one ride on my m8000s, but I too felt the inconsistent bite point. They were great for the majority of the ride, but then would come on 10-15mm sooner all of a sudden. How long did you have them before making the switcH? Did you try bleeding them to see if that helped?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    zees are coming. it was either hopes or these zees (play on words, hehe). hopes are sweet but not worth the bling price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    Only one ride on my m8000s, but I too felt the inconsistent bite point. They were great for the majority of the ride, but then would come on 10-15mm sooner all of a sudden. How long did you have them before making the switcH? Did you try bleeding them to see if that helped?
    I rode them for about two months. Numerous bleeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I ride with zee's on 180 front and 160 back and I think the stopping power is good. I really like zee's and been riding them for about 3 years now. You could always try them with 180/160 and if you feel like you need more stopping power then get 203/180.

I'm with stupid
    I got the new M8000 and so far my experience is THEY SUCK! I never had issues like I have had with these. Bleeds are worthless for the inconsistent bite point. The hotter they get the farther away from the bar they want to grab till they get so faded they just loose all free stroke and zero modulation. Also they have had sticking pistons like it is going out of style. Then the seals on the calipers have started leaking and contaminated the pads so know they sound like old juicy 7's on two set of pads. I just suffered a weekend in moab with all these issues after thinking I had them ironed out. My last series XT brakes have been flawless, these new ones are total rubish. Do not buy them. Strange I will say this but, Im starting to look at guides to replace them, I just will feel bad selling the XT's knowing someone will get junk. These are even a warranty set too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I see all these issues about the M8000 XT brakes and I just don't seem to suffer any of them...
    Maybe I'm not riding hard enough? I do DH based trails.. and I am on the brakes quite alot..

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I sold mine to a friend and installed them on his bike. I rebled them for his bike and found if i had the caliper hanging as low as possible, turned the free stroke all the way in then all the way out after numerous passes of fluid between the lever cup and the caliper syringe and then wound the lever all the way in then all the way out i finally removed all the bubbles. I then drained a fair bit from the cup out of the caliper into a bottle while opening and closing the caliper many times.
    After that bleed process they felt fantastic and he has loved them.

Gone are the days of shimano where you simply push from the caliper to the lever cup, close it all up and end up with a great bleed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    ... if i dont have to use the larger rotors which also requires adapters, i'm saving a bit of weight and costs. its nice to not have to use adapters. less stuff to have to add, less screws and hardware just make a cleaner easier to maintain bike...
    Not to mention, the smaller rotor will be more difficult to bend or warp.

I have a few buddies who went with Zees and 180s on their trail bikes. They've been pretty happy, but I think they each were in between bikes and then built the next with Zees, so no real back-to-back comparison.

My inkling is that you'll be happy with the setup. Usually going from a 2pot to a 4pot is vaguely equivalent to bumping up one rotor size in terms of power, so brute stopping power should be to your liking. You'd get less fade, and modulation would be on par if not better.

I wonder how weight compares between the setups. I'd assume it's insignificant after you consider the smaller rotor, no adapters, shorter bolts, etc.