Thread: Brake decision

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Brake decision

Hi guys. I ride all mountain and I’m undecided which brakes to go for.
    I am on the light side maybe 150 pounds kitted up. (68 kg)

I have the opportunity to buy the Hope Tech 3 E4 or the Shimano Saints for the same price.

Which would you chose and why?

Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by FR4TO; 04-07-2018 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    I just put a set of trp g spec slates on my new bike I just built and man they are awesome. I’ve got guide rsc on 2 other bikes and xt on a bike also. The guides feel like hot garbage in comparison the xts still feel good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Im 210lb and my slx brakes are really strong. One finger braking is no problem, and I need to watch the pressure because there's tons of power on tap.

I'd go slx or xt. If you insist on saints, I'm sure that would be fine too, if not total overkill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    What rotors you have? Thanks for the reply’s guys

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hope tech 3 e4, have 3 sets, 2 from last year and just installed a new set. Do not use hope tech brakes with Shimano rotors.

If you care about weight:
    Front is 265gms
    Rear is somewhere 269-289 grams
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FR4TO View Post
    What rotors you have? Thanks for the reply’s guys
    203/180 xt rotors for me. You could easily use 180/160. So could I actually.

Another Shimano plus is their incredibly good, and affordable rotors.

mtbr member
    Anything Magura out performs any other brand.

mtbr member
    Both great brakes.
    If you more immediate power-saints

If you want more modulation but more pressure at the lever to reach the power- hope's

I just got my first set of saints and I'm really liking them.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have been on hydraulic brakes since 1998. Over the years I have tried at least a dozen different makes. Now only three in the last year but....I have come to two firm conclusions. SRAM brakes leave me wanting and weight aside, XT Trail latest version is very hard to beat all around. Choice of metal or resin pads and very nice modulation. Easy to bleed and except for the adj knob sticking out, looks nice too. But best is they stop you when you need them to the most. Full confidence on very fast downhills. Affordable rotors too.

ZEN RIDER!
    Hope for the modulation, easy set up and bleed. And da bling!
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have Guide Ultimate on my “money is no object” AM carbon uberbike and Guide RS on AM steel hardtail. Before that (1.5 years ago) I had used Shimano XT and XTR. Shimano’s were fine brakes but as it became apparent now I did not even know what modulation was then... I used to have Avid brakes long time ago and they were quite bad actually. Newer Guides are totally different and are much better than Shimano counterparts in my opinion. No experience with other brands though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hopes. Better modulation and much cooler looking. Also probably a little lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX or XT. stupid reliable, easy to bleed, plenty of power. i wouldnt get the Saints unless its a DH bike. no need

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    I went for the Saints.
    Maybe is a bit overkill but had to pick one.
    I really like the Hope ones too went for the Saints because of the mineral oil.
    I’ll report how they performed. If I’m not satisfied guess I’ll have to go try the Hope ones.
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    At your weight possibly look at the MT Trail brakes from Magura, or if you want 4 piston F&R look at either the MT7's (have the HC3 levers) or MT5's (similar to the Shimano Zee's).

mtbr member
    I buy Shimano or SRAM brakes. I want to walk into any LBS and buy pads or spare parts.

Until this bad run of brakes I was a Shimano fan boy, but everyone I know who bought the current generation of XTs has had failures so that motivated me to try the SRAM Codes on my new bike.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...g-term-review/
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    I have Guide Ultimate on my “money is no object” AM carbon uberbike and Guide RS on AM steel hardtail. Before that (1.5 years ago) I had used Shimano XT and XTR. Shimano’s were fine brakes but as it became apparent now I did not even know what modulation was then... I used to have Avid brakes long time ago and they were quite bad actually. Newer Guides are totally different and are much better than Shimano counterparts in my opinion. No experience with other brands though.
    Yeah, no.

Guides do have a slight power advantage over Shimano 2-pistion brakes, but they are put to shame by Saints.

Lever feel and shape are subjective between SRAM and Shimano, but as far as power produced for a certain lever effort goes, Saints absolutely crush Guides...and on an extended descent, that makes a real difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Lever feel and shape are subjective between SRAM and Shimano, but as far as power produced for a certain lever effort goes, Saints absolutely crush Guides...and on an extended descent, that makes a real difference.
    If you are comparing Shimano Saints to SRAM wouldn't Codes be the appropriate model in their line up? Guides are trail brakes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you are comparing Shimano Saints to SRAM wouldn't Codes be the appropriate model in their line up? Guides are trail brakes.
    Which still fall short of Saints according to reviews.

Seems a bit strange to fault Shimano for having intermittent problems (which they acknowledge!) when we all know SRAM had and ignored very serious problems for years. Also, guides are overpriced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Seems a bit strange to fault Shimano for having intermittent problems (which they acknowledge!) when we all know SRAM had and ignored very serious problems for years.
    I've never had a SRAM brake fail me and I have had a Shimano brakes fail me and pretty much everyone I know with that generation of brake had failures. So that left an impression on me for Shimano in terms of quality.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-c...view-2017.html

Comparison of Codes vs. Saints at the end of this ^^ review.

Don't take any of this to be me slamming Shimano brakes. They make a solid product usually and once they redesign the current generation of brakes I'll consider buying them again, but I don't think it's a slam dunk choosing one company over the other.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I didnt know anyone owned a sram brake that didnt fail! Thats more impressive than anything.

I think most people are in agreement that the guides were great brakes, for the 10 or 15 minutes that they worked before seizing up and breaking.

mtbr member
    For me the power between the new codes and saints is noticeable, but I'm 235#'s on a 29er. My OG codes were awesome back in the day. One bummer with shimano (other than the notorious wandering bite point) is their use of a bushing instead of bearing for the lever pivot. Other than that I like everything about the shimano lever better ergonomically. The pin release for the clamp is another fail, but the throw adjustments is far better than sram. For now my saints feel amazing...hopefully they stay that way. They also don't howl.

I reckon when the 4 pot cura's finally drop, that will be the brake to beat.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I didnt know anyone owned a sram brake that didnt fail! Thats more impressive than anything.
    I had juicy 7's on my old bike for 10 years, rode 1-2X a week, and never had a problem. I have juicy 3's on my old downhill bike and haven't ever had an issue with those either.

From what I understand, the issues with SRAM brakes were due to the taper bore design that they introduced after the juicy series, which they finally ditched with the guide series.

I have guides on my new bike and they have been so-so. They seem to work, but have a lot of lever throw and the OEM pads were not very good. But the Shimano wandering bite point issue has put me off from going in that direction, so I got new metallic pads and we'll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Are there some brakes out that give you similar stopping power to Guides and XT but with a big weight drop? Brakes are heavy and I'm wondering if there is a significant weight loss opportunity without sacrificing quality

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Anything Magura out performs any other brand.

I didn't find that to be true...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Are there some brakes out that give you similar stopping power to Guides and XT but with a big weight drop? Brakes are heavy and I'm wondering if there is a significant weight loss opportunity without sacrificing quality
    No, not a big weight loss. Slx/xt brakes don't weigh much at all though.

mtbr member
    I bought some Zee's and I love them.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

I think most people are in agreement that the guides were great brakes, for the 10 or 15 minutes that they worked before seizing up and breaking.
    Running '11 Code R on my Trance with no probs. Do I need that much oomph? Nah, they came with a bike. Otherwise, SLX or XT with ~180mm F/R would be my "go to" setup for just about anything short of DH.

mtbr member
    I just retired my Juicy 7's this week for XT's. I am currently really heavy for me. Went with the 8020 caliper up front with a 203mm rotor and just the regular 8000's in the back with 180's. This is on my ancient heckler. I thought about rebuilding the Juicy's and still may at some point(great brakes) but really like these xt's after just one road ride and break in. They will definitely stop my 225 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake decision-heckler-brakes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    My Saints brakes finally arrived. Just assembled and bedded in. I left my old 160 rotors in. They are really good and they have lots of modulation. Was really worried about it because a lot of people were saying that they were like a light switch. Really happy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FR4TO View Post
    My Saints brakes finally arrived. Just assembled and bedded in. I left my old 160 rotors in. They are really good and they have lots of modulation. Was really worried about it because a lot of people were saying that they were like a light switch. Really happy
    I'm 135lbs and run Saint calipers (XTR Race levers) and love the feel and power of the Saints.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    switching from stock guides r with original 180 rotors to magura mt5 with 160 magura sl2 rotors saved about 150-200 grams for me and I got same or better power.
    the thing is Guides and XTs are not DH power level brakes, maguras 4-pots are, and weight same or less.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk