mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Bought a '09 GT Avalanche Expert 26" Thoughts?

I've been looking for a solid 29 or 26er with mid to high components, hydraulic brakes.

I figured I would be down a grand no matter how I sliced it.

I was luck (IMHO) to find that my University Recreation program was selling some 3 year old bikes. I got the Avalanche, with SLX XT rears and SLX fronts. Juicy 3 brakes. It also had Halo Freedom Disc rear rim. Upgraded Wellgo aluminum pedals.

I paid 400.00 for it. I figured at that price point I could upgrade the grips/bar ends, get the bike completely tuned (possible chain replacement), slight wear repairs for well under the cost of a new one.

I did however manage to flat my rear tire. Cant see where on the tube itself. I have not really looked into too much with flat deterant products. Does anyone have some selections that don't involve upgrading the rims and going tubeless?

Huckin' trails
    You can convert pretty much any rims and tires to tubeless using Gorilla Tape and tire sealant. Google it with "MTBR" in the search field to find threads related to the procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    For preventing punctures, it depends on how you got the flat. If it's a pinch flat then running a higher pressure would help. If it's a puncture then you could try using thicker tubes or tyres.

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thx, I think I will see about those Tuffys. See how those work before I try anything else.