mtbr member
    May 2004

Bottom Bracket Height Too Low

I just got a replacement frame for my 2003 Fuji Adventure SL. The new frame is a Fuji Adventure HI with a Manitou Swinger 4 way shock. I like the shock but the frame I am not liking cause the bottom bracket is about 2 inches lower than my old frame. When I have about 30% sag on the shock my toe clips drag the ground. Lets put it this way, on my old frame with 30% sag the pedals where about the same height as on the new frame without me sitting on it. It looks to me like the shock should be about 1 in longer than it is or the linkage is not correct. Has anyone had similar problems? With the new frame I have maybe 2 inches between the ground and my pedals with 30% sag. I can put more air in the shock but even if I have NO sag I am about where I was with the old frame with sag. The new frame is a 19in and the old one I think was 17in. Maybe the larger frame has a lower bottom bracket.

Perry

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Well according to Fuji's Website the 05 Adcenture HI should have a bb height 12mm taller than the 03 SL. Also all sizes of the 03 SL have the same bb height as well as all of the 05 HI have the same height. There for frame size is not a factor.

Does the new ride have longer cranks on it?

If you bought the frame from the factory I would expect that the shock would be the correct size. But a longer eye-to-eye length on the shock would bring your bb up.

It might be a good idea to talk to fuji about your problem maybe they can point you in the right dirrection. Good Luck hope this helps a bit.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by perryg114
    I just got a replacement frame for my 2003 Fuji Adventure SL. The new frame is a Fuji Adventure HI with a Manitou Swinger 4 way shock. I like the shock but the frame I am not liking cause the bottom bracket is about 2 inches lower than my old frame. When I have about 30% sag on the shock my toe clips drag the ground. Lets put it this way, on my old frame with 30% sag the pedals where about the same height as on the new frame without me sitting on it. It looks to me like the shock should be about 1 in longer than it is or the linkage is not correct. Has anyone had similar problems? With the new frame I have maybe 2 inches between the ground and my pedals with 30% sag. I can put more air in the shock but even if I have NO sag I am about where I was with the old frame with sag. The new frame is a 19in and the old one I think was 17in. Maybe the larger frame has a lower bottom bracket.

Perry
    If your running the Black fork off your previous ride you're BB will have dropped a bit. That coupled with the longer travel of the new frame and more sag will cause the problem you're having.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well I think it is something I am going to have to learn to live with. I think that my 2003 is just a fluke and the 2005 adventure HI is more the norm. The BB height that I measured on the new frame was 13.25in (337 mm) is what is on the geometry spec. I did not measure the BB height on the old frame but it is easy to see that it was higher. I could take the fork back off the new frame and put it on the old frame but I am pretty sure it will come in a little over an inch higher. My old Trek 830 BB height is also 13.25 in but it is a hard tail. I think that Fuji was not thinking about sag in this case. You can always lower a bike with less air in the shock but it is hard to raise one. Than missing inch was my sag wish I had it back but since the frame matches the factor spec nothing I can do really. I should be glad I got a new warrantee replacement frame and shock for nothing.

Perry

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The only way the 830 would have a 13+" BB is if you put a VERY tall fork on it. They are designed with a 11.7-12" BB.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The 830 is very old and I did put a fork on it. It is an 80mm Mars Comp I believe. It should be pretty close to the stock height. The 830 I have was made around 1990.

Perry