mtbr member

Bontrager XR4 2.35 on a Mavic 717 rim

Following a wipeout on the trail, (after the sound of chirping birds left my head), I rolled back to base, rather wobbly, noticing along the way that my wheel was out of true.
    Took it back to my LBS, who recommended getting wider tires for better tracking and stability on the trail, along with DT Swiss EX500 rims. We decided on Bontrager XR4 Expert tires, 2.35 wide. Previous tires were 2.10. I'm running Mavic 717 rims.
    My mech trued the front rim and put on the rubber. There was a mix up, because I simply made a comment about it being pricey to get the DT Swiss rims (only one Mavic was damaged, but would have swapped them both out), rubber, and spokes. I was expecting the whole package.
    So what I have is my original rims, one being trued, fitted with the XR4's. Mavic don't recommend going as wide as 2.35 (their site recommends 1.00 to 2.10 range of tire width).
    Should I give it a go, and see how they feel, or is it a mismatch? Do I need the beefier rims? Is rider weight an issue when choosing rims? I'm about 97 kg.
    Thanks.
    Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would be concerned running a 2.35 on the 717 rims. The Bonty's are a pretty beefy tire. There is one review on mtbr from 2012 in which the reviewer stated that the 2.2 XR4 felt too wide and tall for his 717 rims. The XR4 is a great tire and should help prevent washout (assuming that was the cause of your crash), but a 2.35 (and maybe a 2.2 based on that one review) may be too much for your current rims. What size and type of tires were replaced?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    To much tire for that rim! A 2.2 Will be fine. Great grip on that tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will go against the grain and say you will be ok. If you are using tubes, you are probably running high enough pressure to keep the tire from folding over already.

I am guessing, but I would think 30psi in the back and 25psi in the front would be the least you could run, but you will surely get pinch flats at that psi.

If you ride like the kids in the videos, I take all this back.