mtbr member

BMC Supertrail done:-)

Here is a couple of pics of my new BMC supertrail. Just finished it a few minutes ago and can't wait to ride! Too bad I am buried in snow for a few more months

Sorry about the poor resolution--I had to use my phone because the camera is dead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bjj4202000; 12-20-2008 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Bike looks good! Looking forward to the better pics.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I put the batteries for the camera on the charger so I'll get them on leter tonight or tomorrow along with specs.

grade A procrastinator
    nice lookin' bike dude!

plasma donor
    Quote Originally Posted by bjj4202000
    Here is a couple of pics of my new BMC supertrail. Just finished it a few minutes ago and can't wait to ride! Too bad I am buried in snow for a few more months

Sorry about the poor resolution--I had to use my phone because the camera is dead.
    Get them pics up. I've been looking at that bike for a while now. We're burried in snow too. I ride anyways.

mtbr member
    Sorry about that--Those pics are at my work. I was too lazy on Saturday to take the bike apart to bring it home and take better pics. I won't be there again until Saturday because of the holiday so that is the soonest I will be able to take better pics:-( You can bet I will get them up Saturday though.

mtbr member
    Here are the pics. I can't wait to really ride this thing Specs are as follows:
    BMC Supertrail 01. 08 model
    Fox RP2 shock
    Lyrik U-turn coil fork
    Race Face Atlas crank
    Juicy Carbon brakes 203/180
    Sram X0 triggers
    Sram X0/X Gen Ders
    DT Swiss 5.1 wheels and hubs
    SDG Formula FX saddle and post
    ODI grips
    Nevegal 2.35 front and rear DTC converted to tubeless
    Sram 980 cassette.

I think that is about it. Most of the parts came off my old bike because I could never afford a nice frame AND bulid if I were starting from scratch
    Attached Images Attached Images

plasma donor
    That is a work of art bro. I like the way the Lyric sits it up. Almost a shame to go beat it up, but garage queens suck. ;-)

mtbr member
    Nice ride! How does it compare to the Superstroke that it replaced? Does the rear shock still have the 8.5 x 2.5 sizing?
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    Nice ride! How does it compare to the Superstroke that it replaced? Does the rear shock still have the 8.5 x 2.5 sizing?
    I have not had it out for a good test yet because of the weather. I am worried a little because they did change the shock to a 7 7/8 by 2.25. The Superstroke was soooo sweet the way the rear suspension worked that I am not sure this one could work as well. BMC went with a custom tuned shock on this one, but still....
    They made the effective top tube length longer on the Supertrail, and they made the head angle a littl slacker. The top tube is aslo monocoque now.
    Hopefully it all works as well as the Superstroke! The topetube length was the only real change I was looking for.

mtbr member
    I have not had it out for a good test yet because of the weather. I am worried a little because they did change the shock to a 7 7/8 by 2.25. The Superstroke was soooo sweet the way the rear suspension worked that I am not sure this one could work as well. BMC went with a custom tuned shock on this one, but still....
    They made the effective top tube length longer on the Supertrail, and they made the head angle a littl slacker. The top tube is aslo monocoque now.
    Hopefully it all works as well as the Superstroke! The topetube length was the only real change I was looking for.
    Same here! The short top tube lenght is the major gripe that I have with my Superstroke. Pls. give us a detailed feedback on how it rides.

By the way, I'm a bit confused because BMC advertised it with 6.3 inches (160mm) of rear travel while adrenaline bikes had it advertised with 5.5 inches. If BMC kept the same leverage ratio as the Superstroke, which was 2.4:1 at 150mm travel mode, the Supertrail would indeed have around 5.5 inches of travel with the shorter 7.875x2.25 shock. If it is as adverised then the leverage ratio goes up to 2.8:1.

mtbr member
    This is indeed 5.5 inches of travel. The 2008 model has 140mm of travel. The BMC websight has the 2009 model on it which has been changed to 160mm. Looking at the two frames next to each other they are the same other than the colors are reversed and the rocker link is different to give the 2.8:1 lever ratio. I picked mine up for super cheap so I decided not to go with the 09 frame.

I am concerned thet the shock will be over dampened as it has the firm compression tuning. (Good excuse to get another Monarch!!)

mtbr member
    This is indeed 5.5 inches of travel. The 2008 model has 140mm of travel. The BMC websight has the 2009 model on it which has been changed to 160mm. Looking at the two frames next to each other they are the same other than the colors are reversed and the rocker link is different to give the 2.8:1 lever ratio. I picked mine up for super cheap so I decided not to go with the 09 frame.

I am concerned thet the shock will be over dampened as it has the firm compression tuning. (Good excuse to get another Monarch!!)
    I'd prefer the '08 over the '09 then cuz I'm more concerned with lower leverage ratios than absolute travel.
    Last edited by nickgto; 01-11-2009 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    I'd prefer the '08 over the '09 then cuz I'm more concerned with lower leverage ratios than absolute travel.
    I agree. The Superstroke was the first bike with an air shock that felt really good to me, probably due in no small part to the low lever ratio. This one should be good too. I got to do a parking lot test on an 09 and the difference in travel was noticeable, but who knows how that would translate on the trail.

mtbr member
    I agree. The Superstroke was the first bike with an air shock that felt really good to me, probably due in no small part to the low lever ratio. This one should be good too. I got to do a parking lot test on an 09 and the difference in travel was noticeable, but who knows how that would translate on the trail.
    I'm infering that the '09 might wallow more not unless the shock that they used would have more low speed compression / pro-pedal tune; but then again that would alter the small bump compliance of the rear shock.How good a deal did you score the Supertrail? Was it lower than Jenson's close-out on the Superstroke?

mtbr member
    i saw this bike in person today. so awesome.