mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Blur 4x or Blur LT.

Can't decide between the two. I like the fact the 4x behaves beter in the air but how does it pedal and can I survive a full days ride? OK hers more info.... I moved from Whistler to Banff. Sold the vp free which was my park bikeit's too heavy for the climbs. Now I'll spend most of my time pedaling uphill with the occasional rip down. I realise the LT would be the more practical choice but I'm scared to stray too far from the freeride look and ride. Most of the reviews I read on the 4x are 2 years old like the one on the Santa Cruz website. Does this mean the 4x is been replaced with better technology like the LT for an overall ride? Bottom line will there be a huge pedaling difference in the two? I'm 6 feet 175lbs....Thanks for the input!!!!
    Last edited by Iliketuna; 06-14-2007 at 04:10 PM.

nerfherder
    Pedals great. You'll probably have to describe in more detail what you're looking for the bike to do, where you ride, etc before we can give you advice.

Get Down Do you
    Agreed. The more info you give the more we can help you.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

blur 4x or lt?

Can't decide between the two. I like the fact the 4x behaves beter in the air but how does it pedal and can I survive a full days ride? OK hers more info.... I moved from Whistler to Banff. Sold the vp free which was my park bikeit's too heavy for the climbs. Now I'll spend most of my time pedaling uphill with the occasional rip down. I realise the LT would be the more practical choice but I'm scared to stray too far from the freeride look and ride. Most of the reviews I read on the 4x are 2 years old like the one on the Santa Cruz website. Does this mean the 4x is been replaced with better technology like the LT for an overall ride? Bottom line will there be a huge pedaling difference in the two? I'm 6 feet 175lbs....Thanks for the input!!!!

nerfherder
    It does sound like the LT is the practical choice. But I don't think you'd regret getting a 4X for lots of "pedaling uphill and the occasional rip down". The 4X is sort of like a short travel AM bike. Good time all around.

I just wanna go fast...
    The 4x has more agressive geometry, has a beefier frame and therefore is heavier than the LT (I think), but still pedals well as a trail bike. If you're comming off of DH and FR bikes, you'd probably feel more at home on the 4x. I've ridden a friend's LT, and even with a short stem on it, it still feels too XCish for my tastes.

nerfherder
    According to this one reseller the B4X is .05lbs heavier. B4X 6.4lbs w/RP3 vs. BLT 6.35lbs w/RP3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'd say that (as suggested above) the 4x will be the more comfortable choice, and it should be a blast on the downhills and jumps or whatever you would like to take it on. My only concern would be the seat tube angle, if it is too slack then you may have a harder time finding a good pedalling/climbing position. So I would recommend checking the Santa Cruz website, and then following up with a bike demo if possible. However, I will say that if I were you (I have a north shore background), I would go for the 4x.

nerfherder
    4X seat tube is a full degree steeper than the LT...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    4X seat tube is a full degree steeper than the LT...
    Can't ask for much better than that!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

4x or lt

Ya the seat tube length and angle are the major issue, wish I could test ride one but there isn't a store within 1200 miles that has one on the floor. Thanks for the info. Especially the stem comment. That would be the first thing to go on the LT but like the one guy said it still felt like a xc bike with a shorter one.

TC
    mtbr member

stem and angles

I'm 6'3" and ride a XLarge.
    I run a 60mm stem with 1.5 riser bar on my LT.
    when my seat is up, and my TALAS is at 100mm, it is like my old FSR/xc--that is, cross country-ish.

when the seat is down and TALAS at 140 and the RP23 is in the 1 setting (cushy), it is slack (maybe 68 degs) and really soaks up the downhill stuff.

I run 2.5 Kenda DH Nevys front and rear on some pretty hairy terrain here in Pacifica and this bike handles it all soundly. I don't do big drops or jumps, but I'm sure this bike could handle some of that.

hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images