Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Blue Pig vs 456 evo2 or another?

Hi. Looking to switch my clapped out xc/trail bike for an am hardtail. My original choice was NS Surge, but apparently that is out of production. My next two choices are a 456 or a Blue Pig. I will be putting a 90/110/130 fox talas with 1.25 steer tube on there. What concerns me with blue pig is it states that to run a 130mm fork I need an external cup headset, so im not sure how that will work with my current fork. Any suggestions? Any other frame I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    How about a piglet? designed around shorter travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i like having the option of sticking something slightly burlier on there, if i choose to later

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have you considered a Santa Cruz Chameleon? It isn't steel but it is a very burly frame. It is designed to be used with a 120 to 150mm fork. I have one in my fleet and it is a great all mountain hard tail. It's also 2 pounds lighter than the other frames you mentioned which I appreciate on long climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dboneslick View Post
    Have you considered a Santa Cruz Chameleon? It isn't steel but it is a very burly frame. It is designed to be used with a 120 to 150mm fork. I have one in my fleet and it is a great all mountain hard tail.
    its a bit pricy, hence why stuff like evil or chromag isn't really on my list

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what about a cotic bfe (the Product of COTIC cycles : BFe, very very tough steel hardtail) ? anyone familiar with these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OP, the only concern I'd have with Ragley is if their business is sound. I think it's been a tough road for them since Brant left. On One is a much larger company and I'd be more comfortable that they'll be around in a few years if I had a warranty claim.

Otherwise, I enjoyed my v1 Blue Pig while I owned it. My fat old arse isn't up to riding a long travel hard tail which is the only reason I sold it. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Who told you the surge wasn't being produced any longer? sounds like bull **** to me *sniff sniff* smells like it too

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I own a BFe and am very satisfied, it's though and I use it on anything between XC and small jumps. I run it with a 140mm fork, which is supposed to fit it the best.

mtbr member
    I ran a 115 or 120 Reba on my Blue Pig for awhile, and I banged pedals quite a lot. That, to me, was the only downside.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Who told you the surge wasn't being produced any longer? sounds like bull **** to me *sniff sniff* smells like it too
    The local dealer. I dont see why they would lie to me unless they are just too lazy to procure the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i went with the 456, it was simple, proven and relatively inexpensive. couldnt get better than that. even the purchasing process was very swift.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hapeepotter View Post
    i went with the 456, it was simple, proven and relatively inexpensive. couldnt get better than that. even the purchasing process was very swift.
    BTI is the distributer and they have em its an awesome bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    BTI is the distributer and they have em its an awesome bike
    are you talking about the surge?? sorry im a bit confused

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hapeepotter View Post
    this. the only thing I don't love about the new evo2 is the fact that it doesn't have a tapered headset, which the blue pig does. also, if it is a factor, the evo2 is about 100 less than the then pig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    are you talking about the surge?? sorry im a bit confused
    Yea i am. The surge is awesome the option to run single speed without a guide and the beefyness of it. Also its not super slack. Not trying to tell you what to buy but they are available and id hate for you not to get one cause you think thier discontinied.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yea i am. The surge is awesome the option to run single speed without a guide and the beefyness of it. Also its not super slack. Not trying to tell you what to buy but they are available and id hate for you not to get one cause you think thier discontinied.
    where the hell do I find one? i haven't seen them sold online (the crc link leads to nothing) and you already know the info the local ns dealer gave me. I might check out another local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tonik666 View Post
    I own a BFe and am very satisfied, it's though and I use it on anything between XC and small jumps. I run it with a 140mm fork, which is supposed to fit it the best.
    im leaning to wards this right now. What kinda jumps are you talking about here (dj or more dh style) ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got the evo 2 and it's phenomenal.

mtbr member
    Looks like BTI doesnt have the surge listed anymore.. When i bought mine 3 months ago they had 20 in stock... An email to them might get you where you want to be

Bicycle Technologies International

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    its a bit pricy, hence why stuff like evil or chromag isn't really on my list
    go to the santa cruz website and chameleon frames are on sale direct for $350!!

however the chameleon is one STIFF mother. super fun to ride for your flowy smooth jumpy trails but anything longer than about 2 hours it will beat you up. I'd go steel on a hardtail for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If your'e looking for a surge let me know. I have the most recent version of the frame, in a sweet custom powdercoated blue. (My friend work for a powdercoaters, so I usually powdercoat all my frames, so much more durable than the stock paint). I think I road it about half a dozen times before I found a hardtail wasn't for me.

Hit me up if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post
    go to the santa cruz website and chameleon frames are on sale direct for $350!!

however the chameleon is one STIFF mother. super fun to ride for your flowy smooth jumpy trails but anything longer than about 2 hours it will beat you up. I'd go steel on a hardtail for trail riding.
    The $350 Chameleon is the previous generation frame. It has an eccentric bottom bracket and does not have ISCG tabs. If this ins't a deal breaker for you, it would be a great deal for that frame. It's still well suited for a 130-150mm travel fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi. Looking to switch my clapped out xc/trail bike for an am hardtail. My original choice was NS Surge, but apparently that is out of production. My next two choices are a 456 or a Blue Pig. I will be putting a 90/110/130 fox talas with 1.25 steer tube on there. What concerns me with blue pig is it states that to run a 130mm fork I need an external cup headset, so im not sure how that will work with my current fork. Any suggestions? Any other frame I should be looking at?
    Blue Pig is great, I had the chance to test it recently and I was happily surprised...

mtbr member
    Well, it's been a year's wait for me, but hopefully I'll be getting my new Alpine (mk3) frame soon. They were out of it for the past year while Dialled Bikes worked on their bmx and 4x team effort and moving warehouse.

Alpine

I currently ride the Prince Albert (set up with a 120mm fork). And while its a great aggressive XC frame, I remember how much fun I had on a mk2 Alpine with a 140mm. The current frame has a 1.5 head tube so you can run pretty much any fork out there with the proper headset. Also has ISCG.

Pretty springy ride, pretty darn tough, has very accurate rear with the CNC dropouts.
    Just get out and ride!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast