Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    human dehumidifier

bloodthirsty pedal pins

Hey I'm sick and tired of bumping into a pedal and coming home bloody. My pedals are Canfield Ultimates, with the long grubscrews in them. I don't remember it being this bad when I was on Wellgos with shorter pins, but before I trade down to see, I wondered if there are any recommendations for good riding pins that don't leave so many scars. Are the Straitline pins any better about not tearing your legs up?
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    can we see pics? are they the completely threaded allen pins. they do make those in differnet lengths. my pedals pins are really short. like the pins that barely stick up in the OG shimano dx pedals. but they do lack the same grip as a longer pins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    holy sh!t if those are the pins like the ones on their website those look brutal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    found this. your look like the long ones down on the page called terror pins. the brand x ones look the shortest DMR Pimp My Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    btw , they look like they are threw drilled. why not just screw them in a few mm more?

mtbr member
    Get a pair of FOX Launch Knee/Shin Pads

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    btw , they look like they are threw drilled. why not just screw them in a few mm more?
    They're not threaded all the way through so there's a stop at the end of the threads. I'd have to tap 40 holes deeper and be sure I got them all the same depth.

holy sh!t if those are the pins like the ones on their website those look brutal.
    found this. your look like the long ones down on the page called terror pins. the brand x ones look the shortest
    Yeah "Terror pins" is a damned good name for them. Work great though, other than their thirst for human flesh.

They're really nothing but set screws with a socket on each end. Since they're thru drilled I really only need the socket on one end though. I can get shorter ones at the hardware store, I can also get different shapes on the ends of them if I order them from Grainger, Fastenal, etc. For example, these may be better if they'd just poke me and not tear my flesh:

.. but the longer I look at them the more I think they'd probably be even worse.

So I know how to replace them with the same basic kind of screw, but was wondering if there's anything better because I think it's largely the threads on them that cuts my legs up.

Quote Originally Posted by guamjim View Post
    Not an option, too hot and it's not like I'm hucking off boulders or anything. Overkill for an old guy who just keeps bumping into his pedals.

I was wondering if some like these Straitlines would be better, or if they're just as carnivorous as the ones I have:

They're expensive so I'd like to hear they're an improvement before I spend $1.30 each for 40 + spares. Hope makes a similar pin for less, but I understand they are not standard M4 size so they won't work.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any pedal with pins is going to cut you up if you are banging into it. I run ultimates and ultimate mags and yes they cut me up when I get hit by them but my Kona Wah Wahs did the same. You could get shorted grub screws however you may start to slip the pedals more which will cause more carnage.

mtbr member
    Black Ops Pedals Torqlite UltraLight CNC 9/16 Black - Bikewagon

Check out the pins on these.... not as grippy but the platform is so big it dont matter.

I recomend not sliping pedals

mtbr member
    Not an option, too hot and it's not like I'm hucking off boulders or anything. Overkill for an old guy who just keeps bumping into his pedals.
    Yea, I'm an old guy, too (61). My shins take too long to heal, and I don't mind looking overprotected. I've found these to be pretty comfortable and not too hot, even here in Guam. BTW, I'm using Straitlines, which help me be more confident when I'm learning new skills.

beater

bloodthirsty pedal pins

I don't have much to offer, because i think they're about the least bloodthirsty pedals around. I have only been cut once by my Ultimates, in more than a year of use. I have the first run, with the pointed pins, like your picture. The points aren't that sharp, and they dull rapidly. I would guess that plain threaded pins are more likely to cut you.

My twenty6 pedals cut me daily, and the new Deity pedals have long, thin pins that look gnarly. I think the Canfields are pretty tame in comparison.

Shin pads help, but aren't much fun to wear. My worst cuts are on my calfs, anyway.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I have only been cut once by my Ultimates, in more than a year of use. I have the first run, with the pointed pins, like your picture. The points aren't that sharp, and they dull rapidly. I would guess that plain threaded pins are more likely to cut you.
    When I bought my pedals I expected to get the pointed pins but didn't.

I guess I'll just have to take a chance and do some experimenting, or bolt a pair of MG-1s on and see if things improve, cut-wise.

I'd switch back to SPDs but have old ankle injuries that make those problematic, which is why I started using flats to begin with.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Check out the pins on these.... not as grippy but the platform is so big it dont matter.
    Found what looks to be the same pin on ebay and other sites. They're reasonably cheap I may pick some up and see how they work. The Crampon pedals have a fairly large body, and I wear 5-10s so that'll help with sticking to them too.

mtbr member
    I wear 5/10 impacts also. They stayed sticky in the.rain and mudd. Have you trie clipless before? Might.be.worth.a try

human dehumidifier
    I wear 5/10 impacts also. They stayed sticky in the.rain and mudd. Have you trie clipless before? Might.be.worth.a try
    Yes, rode SPDs for years but as noted earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I'd switch back to SPDs but have old ankle injuries that make those problematic, which is why I started using flats to begin with.
    I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but on different bikes wearing different shoes I've found upon getting off my bike that my ankle won't hold my weight. THe last time it happened I couldn't get from my vehicle into my house.

So between cutting the heck out of my shins/calves, or having severe pain and inability to walk after a ride, I'm kind of between a rock and a hard spot.

mtbr member
    I got you. Might aswell buy thoses black ops pedals.... good traction loads of support and they wont cut you

mtbr member
    wv - straitline pins are pretty grippy but let's face it slippin a pedal or even catchin the back of a calf on a dab is gonna suck. You should give G-form pads a try. They are a much lighter alternative to even 5450s(pretty nice pads) from TLD if you're in hot weather. You'll probably notice the heat/sweat less than the pain/blood with 'em on! give 'em a look!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guamjim View Post
    Might not be an option but worth considering none-the-less. I have normal allen-screw pins and they bash into my shins often, with shin guards its just one less thing to worry about and I never come home bloody unless I somehow clip the back of my calf.

I use 5.10 freerider pro which are excellent for staying on your pedals.

human dehumidifier
    I got you. Might aswell buy thoses black ops pedals.... good traction loads of support and they wont cut you
    ... or I can buy the same pins and put them in my Canfields. $20 and done if they work well enough, so I may head down that road and see where I end up.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    They're not threaded all the way through so there's a stop at the end of the threads. I'd have to tap 40 holes deeper and be sure I got them all the same depth.

Yeah "Terror pins" is a damned good name for them. Work great though, other than their thirst for human flesh.

They're really nothing but set screws with a socket on each end. Since they're thru drilled I really only need the socket on one end though. I can get shorter ones at the hardware store, I can also get different shapes on the ends of them if I order them from Grainger, Fastenal, etc. For example, these may be better if they'd just poke me and not tear my flesh:

.. but the longer I look at them the more I think they'd probably be even worse.

So I know how to replace them with the same basic kind of screw, but was wondering if there's anything better because I think it's largely the threads on them that cuts my legs up.

I was wondering if some like these Straitlines would be better, or if they're just as carnivorous as the ones I have:

They're expensive so I'd like to hear they're an improvement before I spend $1.30 each for 40 + spares. Hope makes a similar pin for less, but I understand they are not standard M4 size so they won't work.
    Hey Bobby, mate ive got 3 sets of straitline defactos, best pedals ive ever used.
    They run on a bush system, so no bearings, this makes them not spin as free as other pedals, but its a great advantage cause you dont have the situation of when you put your foot down and hitting the back of the pedal, the cranks dont spin around and smash you.

Having said that, the straitline pins are thinner and sharper than they look, they slice you open easy BUT due to the nature of the bushing system, which is awesome i might add, the pedals dont spin around 20 times real quick as the crank comes back to hammer you.

They are the best pedals ive used, i couldnt recommend them highly enough.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Why not soccer shin pads with a strap. They can't be THAT hot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I cheaped out on pedals. Always said I'd buy a proper set. I run diamondback/wellgo bmx pedals and I have the scars to prove it. Front and back of both legs. I feel your pain sir. Nothing more to add other than that. Good luck.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Hey Bobby, mate ive got 3 sets of straitline defactos, best pedals ive ever used.
    They run on a bush system, so no bearings, this makes them not spin as free as other pedals, but its a great advantage cause you dont have the situation of when you put your foot down and hitting the back of the pedal, the cranks dont spin around and smash you.

Having said that, the straitline pins are thinner and sharper than they look, they slice you open easy BUT due to the nature of the bushing system, which is awesome i might add, the pedals dont spin around 20 times real quick as the crank comes back to hammer you.

They are the best pedals ive used, i couldnt recommend them highly enough.
    Hey Tone's thanks for the info. I'm happy as a clam with the Canfield pedals, it's just the pins that are killing me. Sounds like the straitline pins would be of no help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Why not soccer shin pads with a strap. They can't be THAT hot.
    I don't call myself the human dehumidifier for nothing ... swear runs down my legs. I've had squishy shoes from it before - honestly. Even if the pads aren't contributors to that, they'd get soggy and tossed in the trash soon enough. Nope, pads aren't an option for me.

But even so, I looked them up to see what you're talking about. I already look like a mobile clown show, so no way I would ride in something like this

mtbr member
    i also have canfield pedals and i was getting cut up pretty badly. i now wear gforms and they do help. they're light and unobtrustive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bloodthirsty pedal pins-img_2677.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    i have tioga mx comp pedals that i put toe clips on and left the pins out on the bottom no more shin gouge!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast