Thread: Blind Corners

mtbr member

Blind Corners

New to this site so if its in the wrong place please tell me.
    I rode Rosaryville State Park in Md a couple of times this week. Being new I am unsure what to do when coming to a blind corner or any blind spot. Luckily I didn't encounter anyone on these trips. What do you do to prevent what I would assume be a really lousy and painful result?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just slow down a bit when approaching blind corners, and be ready to stop if necessary.

lets do this....
    and use your ears!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1 what lyndonchen said, plus,

I often keep a "bear bell" jingling on my bars, even if there are no bears in the area, it's a good way to let other trail users know you are coming, so they can slow down too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In my 10+ years of riding, I've only had two close calls in blind corners.......after the last near-miss, I always yell "rider up" whenever I enter a blind-corner.....i feel silly sometimes but you never know what's around the corner......

mtbr member
    Be sure you are in control and able to stop if needed. Make some noise right before you get to the corner and listen for other riders. Lots of people seem to wear headphones though, so a lot of the time they won't hear you.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member

Noise

I usually make some sort of noise (Like a loud "hup!" or a "rider up!") so anyone around the corner can hear me coming. That being said, the preserves I ride are so often empty, I've only really had one or two encounters.

Dirt Deviant
    The only time I really have problems on blind coners are from off leash dogs. I've had a couple really close calls, which sucks because my trails have leash rules.
    I usually take it easy through blind turns.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    On night rides I accelerate and shut my light down...just to see, if, in fact, the force is with me.

Some nights it is....some nights not so much.

mtbr member
    I went to REI today and got a Bear Bell and a small handle bar mounted bell (from the adult biking section) I'll try them out. I don't want people laughing at the old guy with his "little bell" but these blind spots scare the crap out of me.
    Thanks to all for the advise.

www.derbyrims.com
    I use an "Original INCREDIBELL" (small, single ding). Hikers appreciate the friendly sound and warning too. And chicks dig it too! Seriously!

local trails rider
    If you cannot see what is on the other side... you don't know what is on the other side. There's always a chance there's something there that you don't want to hit.

Slow down
    Listen
    Make some noice

mtbr member
    Ride a dirt bike in the woods for a few years, you will never worry about blind corners on a bicycle ever again...
    2018 Transition Patrol

Members who have read this thread: 0