Let the good times roll.

Blackspire Stinger: BB vs ISCG mount

Just a quick question. It's probably been asked before, but nothing popped up when I searched...

I have a Diamondback Mission with ISCG old tabs and SLX double cranks. I'm going to order a Blackspire Stinger in the next couple days, and I'm wondering if I should get the BB or ISCG mount. Any opinions on which system woks better for a guide like the Stinger? Ease of set-up, not spinning around if I bang into something, durability, any factor that might make one better than the other. I've never used a guide before, so I don't really know what to look out for. I'm just tired of dropping the chain.

Thanks...

Helmet Tester
    I have the bottom bracket mount for E-Type derailleur and it works great so far. I can see that if I didnt have the screws from the derailleur helping to hold it in place that it could very easily shift causing it to rub and to even work the BB cup loose as the drive side is reverse thread.

Short answer: Go with the ISCG for the added stability

usually cranky
    iscg. frames have them for a reason.

local trails rider
    ISCG

BB mounted stuff has the potential to increase BB creaks/loosening.

(I have an ISCG 05 Stinger as a singlespeed tensioner, and found it easiest to tighten it in place with a long hex key through the chainring)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    BB mounted stuff has the potential to increase BB creaks/loosening.
    Well, that's just the kind of info I was hoping for. I could do without that issue.

Looks like I might go with ISCG. Are there any drawbacks to that system at all? Or at least stuff to watch out for during setup?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I have 2 bikes with the BB mount & 4 friends with the same setup, NO problems whatsoever other than initial setup cause I wanted the best chainline possible. I purchased a size assortment of BB spacers to achieve that.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Buy the ISCG mount. Period.

usually cranky
    only drawbacks to iscg tabs are the potentail to snap if you use a taco and to strip them if you dont do the screws carefully.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I cannot believe that no one has mentioned the possible interference between the ISCG bolts and the small chainring bolts. I had the problem with both RF and Shimano cranksets until I grinded down the face of the bolts to the point where they sat flush.

OP, better order both and count on sending one back. Try the ISCG first, but realistically, it has caused me and many many others (do a search for stinger+iscg) headaches.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I cannot believe that no one has mentioned the possible interference between the ISCG bolts and the small chainring bolts. I had the problem with both RF and Shimano cranksets until I grinded down the face of the bolts to the point where they sat flush.

OP, better order both and count on sending one back. Try the ISCG first, but realistically, it has caused me and many many others (do a search for stinger+iscg) headaches.
    didnt even think of that. good point. i would stil favor iscg, try an e13 heim.

Let the good times roll.
    Thanks for the help, everyone.

I'll go ahead and give the ISCG Stinger a shot. It sounds like I'll be better off that way if I can get it to fit without it hitting the granny bolts. If that does happen, I'll exchange it for a BB mount. I'd rather do it that way than order both and have to pay the return shipping no matter what happens.

I thought about the Heim, but it costs 4x as much. I'm not convinced it's worth the extra money. I think I'd rather go all out and get the DRS for just a little more.

When my stuff gets in, I'll update with how it turned out. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero

I had to do that with my ISCG 05 stinger for my parker. I filed the granny bolts down for clearance, also had to take down the stinger mounting bolts some. My komodo has a BB mount stinger, which is great because its got a 68mm shell width, so the stinger essentially is my spacer. Chainline is good, no grinding of bolts for clearance. That is something to keep in mind. But, if I nail the **** out of the ISCG on my parker- its fine. If I do that on the komodo- I have to re-set the stinger angle as it will rotate some.

Keep this in mind- if your BB shell is a 73mm- dont use the BB stinger as your chainline will be terrible. If you have a 68, its a good option. since you have the tabs, use those as its the strongest.

Let the good times roll.
    Chainline isn't an issue for me. I have a 68mm shell. If I end up having to use the BB Stinger, it will just replace one of the spacers.

mtbr member
    I'm getting the Anthem 29 and it has press fit BB.

Is it possible to use the Stinger with that kind of BB?

I don't believe the Anthem has ISCG tabs