banned
    Mar 2010

Bionicon's Yea or Nay?

Been seeing more and more people riding these bikes. Anyone have opinions, pros and cons?

What makes them special or not so special...from my understanding they just have an on the fly adjustable travel front fork. Besides on the fly, why one of these over a bike with a Fox Talas, or Rock Shox U-Turn, etc.

mbtr member
    the front and rear are tied together, lower the front and the rear comes up. Neat because you don't have your feet scraping the ground, and you can compromise pedalling position to get your weight forward for that nasty climb. You're locked in to the fork and shock, though, and while i can't tell you if the bionicon stuff is good or bad, i can say i'm super anal about suspension, and would be wary of being locked in to 1 model made by a small company for another small company with few damping controls.

usually cranky
    no comment on the bionicon stuff but have fun trying to adjust u-turn on the fly.

local trails rider
    From all the commnets I've READ and HEARD from people riding them, they work as advertised.

As scottzg says, the front and rear are connected. And the suspension is a system approach. You use their components, if you want it to work as advertised.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a friend that has two. Supershuttle and the Edison, I think. No issues with either of them yet but he doesn't necessarily put them thru the ringer. The supershuttle sees very little use and the Edison only sees just a bit more. He has 6 bikes.

Anyway, other than not being able to speak to the durability about them, they work as advertised.

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005
    The Suspension is Proprietary and has made some big steps in feel and adjustability for 2011.

Just to clarify how it works the air is transfered back and forth from the fork to an adapter attached to, but is independent of, the rear shock. Up to a 7 degree head and seatube angle range without changing BB height by holding the button on the Handlebar and shifting your weight for and aft while riding.

If you ever want to see one in person or try one out go to the Headquarters in Kernville CA and ride one all day for free.
    ONE BIKE TO DO IT ALL

Be Well, Ride Hard

Flaccid Member
    I can say Bionicon is a stand up company that stands behind their product. They always took care of me when I had a warranty issue, in a super timely manner. I'd look into the Edison Hydroformed or their newer offering with the Horst link feature. Good solid all mountain bikes. Check them out, do a demo ride, then you'll know if it's the bike for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I demoed a Golden Willow in Bend and put about 50 miles on it. My son had an Edison. I hammered the Golden Willow pretty hard on a 25 mile downhill ride (Flagline down to Phil's) and it took everything no problem. We both had a blast on the bikes and I loved the geometry change when climbing and descending. It really makes sense.

The only problem I had is there is no support in WA and I didn't want to go back to Bend or send the bike or parts to CA if I needed to get something fixed. Otherwise, I would have seriously considered buying one.

mtbr member
    I have a buddy that has one and loves it. He has had no problems.

Powered by ice cream.
    Super bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Hairshirt Rider
    I did an extended test ride on a golden willow a couple of years ago on very technical terrain. Extended climbing and long dh. It was great and once I got the hang of the switch going from short and steep to long and slack was a breeze.

BIONICON

BIONICON
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    i can say i'm super anal about suspension, and would be wary of being locked in to 1 model made by a small company for another small company with few damping controls.
    what do you mean with one product??? We have a quiet big product range and the bikes are working since more than 10 years. Maybe also interesting to know is that we are the founder of the travel adjustment and that nearly all other companies are using our patents.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy one, but I admire the innovation - I guess that's their big problem. I wouldn't want a shock/fork combo that's proprietary and difficult to service, and the complication puts me off.

I guess it's people like me that are the big problem for a company trying to do something genuinely different and innovative - it's the old Catch 22, can't be mainstream until lots of people buy, but lots of people won't trust them enough to buy until they're mainstream.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by bioni bionicon
    what do you mean with one product??? We have a quiet big product range and the bikes are working since more than 10 years. Maybe also interesting to know is that we are the founder of the travel adjustment and that nearly all other companies are using our patents.
    Interesting fact, didn't know that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like the innovation and design of the Bionicon bikes. Every review that I can recall has been very positive too. But the dealer network is too sparse. If I lived near a dealer, I would give them a try.
    R

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Upset Cool Bike But No Local Support

Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    I like the innovation and design of the Bionicon bikes. Every review that I can recall has been very positive too. But the dealer network is too sparse. If I lived near a dealer, I would give them a try.
    R
    Hey Folks,

This is my major issue as well. The idea behind the bikes is obviously very clever and all the reviews point to an excellent product. However a reliable LBS standing behind the bike is not to be found in my area. Also Im not a fan of their single pivot designs so the new Tesla was the first of their bikes Ive seriously considered. That said its a 7 hour drive for me to see, much less demo, the bike. Too bad for me as I think its a very cool concept!

Thanks,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

BIONICON
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge
    I wouldn't buy one, but I admire the innovation - I guess that's their big problem. I wouldn't want a shock/fork combo that's proprietary and difficult to service, and the complication puts me off.
    Our forks are probably the easiest ones to service on the whole market! Everyone can make a fork service himself in just about 10 min and you dont have to send the fork to a service center and pay heaps of money for it and wait weeks or months until you get it back!
    What complication do you mean? Our setup can do a 5 year old child...

local trails rider
    Hey, take it easy bioni bionicon

Rule one on any internet forum: don't get upset.
    Don't argue, show them. If they still don't believe, let it be. Maybe they have a personal preference that you cannot meet. You cannot please everybody.

The Bionicon website has pretty good information.
    History: http://www.bionicon.com/history
    Current MTB models: http://www.bionicon.com/bikes/backcountry-mountainbikes
    User's guide: http://www.bionicon.com/manuals
    Maintenance videos: http://www.youtube.com/tegernseealps/#p/u
    Manual for the shock: http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/support.php?type=0

---
    the videos are in German but the pictures speak well.

Are there maintenance manuals in English? I think the videos contain technical details or things to watch out for, that could me missed if you don't understand German.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

BIONICON
    Hello Perttime,

it wasnt my aim to get upset - sorry if it was understood like this. I just would like to show how esay the system works - but to be honest you did it on a better way...
    Maintainance videos are just the ones on youtube, but we are working on them in the next few months, sorry for this.

local trails rider
    it wasnt my aim to get upset - sorry if it was understood like this..
    Some call it the Devil of the Internet. It is easy to misunderstand what the other person means and sometimes the results are disastrous. There are some nasty examples on mtbr too.

Don't go away Manufacturer's representatives can be highly useful in the forums

(I still don't have a Bionicon ... and the money situation is not good)

Beer Swilling Clyde
    What complication do you mean? Our setup can do a 5 year old child...

umm,,,

Upgrade your life
    Quote Originally Posted by missoularider
    umm,,,

+1 . Please dont do the children!
    Im like a termite, i love wood features.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My question for the rep...

Any secret code words, or handshakes that I can use to get a sweet deal on one? I'll be adding to the quiver - and really like the concept of the Tesla or Edison. I'm going to go demo one in May once the snow is gone.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul