mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bionicon Supershuttle

Got to give a little demo ride to the new Supershuttle today.

Great versatile little bike. I've previously had a few rides on the Edison and the Supershuttle has a slightly stiffer more solid feel. This wasn't an xc spin so the climbing wasn't tested out, but I expect it to be exact same as the Edison.

We rode down CBC, Corkscrew, Salvation, Pingu, Pangor on Mt. Seymour. I'd say I gave it a go at it's upper "all mountain" limits riding everything. The bike handled anything I tossed it's way. It has a nice flickable feel. The air shocks don't have the "pop" I am used to with coil and oil, but thats just something to get used to. Fun bike.

Climb position.

DH position.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! More, more, more....please!

Hi,

If you'd care to share I'd love to hear more details on this bike like:

1. Fork Travel
    2. Shock Travel
    3. Weight
    4. Degrees of Adjustment between XC and DH modes.

The concept behind these bikes is very interesting but I'm sure the devil is in the details.

Thanks for your post!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I test rode one a few months ago (it was the original prototype), and fell in love instantly. I've got one on order, and should be riding it soon. I've been on the Edison for three years, and it's performed flawlessly. I'm very familiar with the system, and the same double-agent fork is used on both bikes. The Edison allowed me to step up my downhill ability, while not compromising my climbing.

I'm expecting the Supershuttle to continue that trend with the extra rear travel (160mm) and slacker angles. The front travel goes from 150mm in downhill position to 70mm in the climbing position, head tube goes from 65 to 71 degrees, bottom bracket height stays the same, and the wheelbase gets about an inch shorter. Rear travel is unaffected, but the geometry adjustment moves your center of gravity forward and more over the pedals for more efficient climbing. With the pushbutton adjustment, you can stop anywhere within the range of adjustability, and it takes just a second to do it.

I believe the high-end spec (SRAM X0) is about 30 pounds and change (without pedals), and the middle spec (X9) about 32.

As with any of the Bionicon bikes, it's just something that has to be ridden to be understood, as it's a feel thing. It just feels right on a wider range of terrain than anything else I've owned or ridden.

I can't wait to get my supershuttle... your report has me even more excited.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga

I believe the high-end spec (SRAM X0) is about 30 pounds and change (without pedals), and the middle spec (X9) about 32.

As with any of the Bionicon bikes, it's just something that has to be ridden to be understood, as it's a feel thing. It just feels right on a wider range of terrain than anything else I've owned or ridden.

I can't wait to get my supershuttle... your report has me even more excited.
    Just thought I would give the correct weight, what was mentioned above was our pre-production estimate. Here is the actual weight w/o pedals.

The FR comes in at 32
    The II (X7) 31
    The I (X9) under 30
    The 0 (X0) should be under 29 (I am building one tommorrow and will correct if necessary)

Turns out that the Super Shuttle is basicly the same weight as the Edison with about an inch more travel in the back.

Fartographer

Cockpit?

How does the cockpit of the Supershuttle compare to the Golden Willow and the Edison? Because the Edison is much to short and upright for me. I love the cockpit of the Golden Willow, though. It's perfect for the way I ride.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    How does the cockpit of the Supershuttle compare to the Golden Willow and the Edison? Because the Edison is much to short and upright for me. I love the cockpit of the Golden Willow, though. It's perfect for the way I ride.
    I have the same question? I have seen the specs on the Bionicon website and the Large has a 600mm top tube - about the same as the Medium GW and longer than the Edison. I am intruiged about how it would ride compared to the other two? I have had a test ride on a GW and it seems to me that a SuperShuttle gives you more travel, with the same fundamental benefits of the GW (for climbing etc) for only a 1lb weight disadvantage.

Bionicon Rider
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by billyb
    I have the same question? I have seen the specs on the Bionicon website and the Large has a 600mm top tube - about the same as the Medium GW and longer than the Edison. I am intruiged about how it would ride compared to the other two? I have had a test ride on a GW and it seems to me that a SuperShuttle gives you more travel, with the same fundamental benefits of the GW (for climbing etc) for only a 1lb weight disadvantage.
    You have it right, the Top Tube of the large SS will fit about the same as a Med GW and slighty longer than the Edison. With the SS you should size yourself according to the TT length as even the large has a really great stand over height.

The SS has the same climbing advantages of the GW with more travel and a SP rear suspension. The major difference is in the head tube angles each bike offers the GW has a range of 68-73 and the SS a range of 67-73 (66-72 if you move the shock mount back).

Bottom line, the GW climbs a bit more efficiently and the SS descends more like a DH bike.
    ONE BIKE TO DO IT ALL

Be Well, Ride Hard

SweFrogger
    Jun 2007

Good job!

Hi Kanga,

How is your build coming on?
    I am just waiting for my Frameset to arrive from Germany, -I am getting one of the Supershuttle FR;s with the new 170mm Forx.
    It would be mostly appreciated if you posted some pics and weights of your build.
    There's really not much pictures online of these bikes -Maybe people think they are ugly???

local trails rider
    I think the Super Shuttle is the best looking Bionicon.

Just cannot justify another bike now...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I recently demo`d a supershuttle, only three hours or so around local singletrack, and I have to admit I fell in love and ordered the very next day.Got a call today to say my bike has left Germany so hopefully be here for the weekend or the beginning of next week. I am soo excited.

Huh?
    Dude when you get it you NEED TO post pictures and weights and sexiness and stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    Dude when you get it you NEED TO post pictures and weights and sexiness and stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    Certainly will fella

Here she is with all her shiny bits. Changed the bar to easton ea70, and need to change post dont like one bolt posts.

My Supershuttle
    Last edited by stevieshuttle; 07-05-2008 at 02:47 PM.