mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Bikes similar to Giant Anthem?

Hi,

I was in a bike shop looking for a light full suspension XC bike and happened to notice a giant anthem 29er. I picked it up (physically), and couldn't believe how light it was , I thought they only made carbon mountain bikes that light.

Anyway, I want a 26 inch bike that's comparable in weight to the gian anthem, as there don't seem to be any 26 inch anthems for sale where I live. Suggestions? Ideally I'd an anthem X2, or X3, as this should be both cheap and light, but it looks like I'm SOL for the anthem.

Also: in comparison to a trek 3500 what's the geometry like of a light XC bike? I like the geometry of my trek, and i've heard that on XC bikes such as the anthem it's harder to drop your ass behind the seat when going downhill, as this isn't what they were made for. which strikes me as funny since you do go downhill during xc obviously.

bikerbert

Bikes similar to Giant Anthem?

Have you looked in ebay or Craigslist? I had the 26" Anthem before the 29er, great bike. Killer bike.

mtbr member
    You are going to have a hard time finding a light 26" XC type of bike new, but there are plenty of them on ebay, craigslist, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what's your budget?
    Are you really going to race XC, or just ride "XC trails"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    id prefer to spend 2k or less, might go up to 3k. I'll likely never race and don't want to bomb down hill. All I want is a bike in which I can keep up with a group during a climb on cross country rides (I don't ride clipless, but people i ride with do). I want a FS, but don't see any sense in getting one that's as heavy/heavier than my HT for my purposes. Hence my interest in the anthem - light FS.

mtbr member
    Ah, well in that case, call around and see if any local shops still have a Trance X 26" bike. It will be lighter than the Anthem 29er of similar cost due to the smaller wheels, and it'll have more travel.