mtbr member

Bike 'Toughness' Question

I am a 250+ lbs, 6'5" tall rider that loves to ride XC as well as just around town.....my question is what is the best frame/bike for me. I currently own a '03 Specialized Hardrock Pro which I have mildly customized...the frame seems to be strong enough for me but components also seem to fail at a sooner than normal rate......I would love to find out what all the "BIG" riders out there would recommend.....(FYI...I used to build MT bikes back in the early 80's in California..but I have been out of the scene for at least 14 years due to "military commitments")

I will be moving to Hawaii in the next year and would like to start to really bomb down some trails while stationed there.....I feel my current bike could handle a 5 foot drop with 250+ lbs of rider on her.....Thoughts????

Thanks in advance.
    Don't Like it? Tough...Deal with It.
    Besides...What is the Blast Radius of an EXCUSE?

mtbr member
    I think you're good, frame wise. One of my best riding buds has a hardrock comp, and he's up to 280+lbs now with gear (I keep telling him he's closing in on NFL status). He's not the most aggressive rider in the dirt, but we hit 4' drops to flat concrete and stair sets all the time, and I've used his bike to hit many drops over 5' to flat and tranny. I'm no light weight myself @ >230lbs with gear, and I used to be about 10lbs heavier last year. The bike has been putting up with our abuse for two seasons now without any major failures (wheels are now in MAJOR need of replacement, bb is not as smooth as it used to be).

Get some strong wheels, probably a beefier crank/bb than you have, don't use weak handlebars, and you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Cool...thanks HardWay...what BB would you recommend and what type of crank, if that is an issue. BTW, I should be NFL.....272 lbs, stripped, with a 6 min/mile time....LOL. God I hate that military weight scale!!

mtbr member
    I'd ride what you've got until it fails, then think upgrade. The BB/crank sets I like are the shimano hollowtech stuff (xt, hone, saint. xtr is a way pricey and to light weight for us bigger guys). I've also run the truvative holzfeller/howitzer combo and found it to be a nice set up. Raceface makes the atlas stuff, I've heard the cranks are good but the bearing cups go quick. You can use a shimano bb bearing cup with the atlas cranks I believe. There's also the fsa gravity crank set. Once again, haven't tried it but I've heard good things.
    Hope that helps, good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    FYI, there is a Clydesdale forum

<------------------ over there.

The good news is cheaper frames are usually very strong. It's the expensive/light stuff that breaks.

Clydes then tend to ruin: wheels, cranks, wheels, and wheels.

mtbr member
    Thanks Laurenlex....first for the info and then for the "polite" comments... LOL

Flying Goat
    Shimano Saint cranks...

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i second Saint cranks.. definitely Clyde worthy!

Being a bigger rider myself, the one thing that I used to battle constantly was flex. Flex in wheels, fork, frame, handlebars, etc.. So, as my riding progressed, I upgraded the components accordingly.

Running 31.8 oversized bars and stem along with a 20mm fork really helps keep the front solid. Converting to a bolt-on solid axle rear wheel will also help eliminate that flimsy QR flex. Getting wider rims like 36mm keeps you from busting spokes all the time, and keeps your wheels true for a much longer period of time. Those are just a few basic upgrades that will keep you riding trouble-free for a long time.

Using burly parts comes with a weight penalty of course, but that's a price I'm usually willing to pay for having a bike i can rely on.