Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    s62
    mtbr member

Is this bike suitable for All Mountain?

Check out the specs on this bike. I'm about to buy it for a grand, and I'm in love with it. I think I'm getting a great deal... this is my first serious mountain bike, and I'm hoping it will work out well for aggressive riding, all mountain, etc.

Specialized Enduro Pro 2002 medium (17-18 inch) frame - 6 inches of travel front and rear
    2002 Marzocchi Jr.T fork
    2005 Fox FLOAT RP3 rear shock
    9 spd LX shifters, XT front and XTR rear derailleurs
    Hayes Hydraulic disk brakes
    Race Face Evolve DH ISIS cranks with ring god bashguard
    Azonic riser bars, shorty stem
    new wheels built with DX32 rims
    WTB ti rail saddle
    Also have stock rear shock and Azonic downhill saddle included

TNC
    noMAD man
    I don't know why not. Those FSRs were decent models. I'm not sure about having that much travel. Weren't those closer to 5" at the rear?...unless modified with an aftermarket link and such? Still good, anyway. The fork might not be a great match. It's got about 6.7" of travel and poor damping in stock setup. The rest of the bike seems pretty good. On the price, $1000 might be a little on the high end. I'd be most concerned about the front and rear suspension match there. It seems like someone tried to make a DH bike out of a trail bike.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    Check out the specs on this bike. I'm about to buy it for a grand, and I'm in love with it. I think I'm getting a great deal... this is my first serious mountain bike, and I'm hoping it will work out well for aggressive riding, all mountain, etc.

Specialized Enduro Pro 2002 medium (17-18 inch) frame - 6 inches of travel front and rear
    2002 Marzocchi Jr.T fork
    2005 Fox FLOAT RP3 rear shock
    9 spd LX shifters, XT front and XTR rear derailleurs
    Hayes Hydraulic disk brakes
    Race Face Evolve DH ISIS cranks with ring god bashguard
    Azonic riser bars, shorty stem
    new wheels built with DX32 rims
    WTB ti rail saddle
    Also have stock rear shock and Azonic downhill saddle included
    The 2002 Enduro frames used a unique shock made by Fox (7.625x2) that gave it a max 5.25" of rear travel. So since it has a RP3 now, which comes in a 7.5" and 7.875" eye to eye...the geometry must have been altered. Also, the 2002 Junior T was a 7" fork so it seems a little unbalanced. But if you like it, then feel free to buy it.

One thing to consider though, the Lifetime Warranty that Specialized offers is for the ORIGINAL owner only...so you get ZERO support if you break it. So inspect it with a fine tooth comb before buying it.

s62
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the good info, guys. mtnbiker72, this is my first real bike, and I don't know what exactly to look for when I show up at this guys office with 1000$ in hand. Obviously cracks, chips, dents, rusting, etc., I will search for, but up until recently, this was this guys main bike. He's a pretty serious biker, and has kept it in great condition. He said it may need a little fine tuning, but that it should leave the shop pretty much in the same condition as it will go in. What else should I look for? Also, should I ask him about the geometry? I doubt he's tinkered with the frame, so do you think the shock is misfit somehow? I don't quite understand the implications and what to ask/worry about.
    Thanks for all the really good advise. Any more would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I think 1000$ seems really a bit too expensive!
    Before spending that much on a 5 year old used bike (especially when you donŽt know exactly HOW a bike should look after 5 years)
    IŽd definitely recommend, that you visit a couple of bike shops and that you look around what youŽd get for 1000$ new.
    At least if the drivetrain is worn on the Enduro or anything else and youŽll have to exchange it, youŽll end up spending 200$ at least. So you could end up at 1200$, IŽm sure you could get a decent bike for 1200$ from the start. With full warranty and dealer support that is!

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    you can buy a really nice ride on "that auction site" for 1000 - 1200 bucks.

just my .02

s62
    mtbr member
    I trust the guy I'm working with. I've done business with his friends (who run a mountain biking touring company here in alaska), and he's a serious biker, as well as very friendly. He has kept this bike in great condition, b/c it's been his main ride. He recently switched to a 29, so he's dropping this one. I feel confidant it's in great shape. I just want to know what to look for. But thanks for the words of caution!
    You guys think I should try to negotiate the price? If so, what' s a good starting offer, and what should I hope to drop it to? I honestly feel this bike is worth the 1000, but if I can shave a few bucks off the final price, why not?

s62
    mtbr member
    True. I've seen several on there. In fact, I got interested in the Enduro '02 b/c of eb... I mean "that auction site" (are we not allowed to name it?). The Enduro's I've seen on there don't have as good components and aren't in as good of condition as the one I'll be buying, and they're all going for 800+. With shipping to Alaska, you're looking at more than I'd pay for this rig, and they aren't as nice. Plus, I'd rather buy locally, get to look at the bike first, test ride it, etc. So, actually I'm getting a better deal than on ebay. This enduro is on par for ebay prices. If he sold it on there, he would fetch 900+, no problems, possibly more (based on all the old and current '02 enduro sales).
    Plus, I think this IS a really nice ride. It's 4000$+ worth of bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    um.. i dont wanna flame ya..but it isn't $4000 worth of bike. It might have been $3000 five years ago. but today it is $800 worth of bike. sorry again..just my .02

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You're getting honest and accurate opinions here even though it may not be what you want to hear. That fork is a mismatch and not a great one to begin with. The bike is worth no more than $800 and probably closer to $750. If it had a good fork on it, then I'd be more comfortable getting closer to $900 IF the fork was pretty new. As it stands, I'd say $800 is a fair deal; not a smokin deal.

It doesn't matter whether you trust the guy or not. The question is how much is that bike truly worth if it is in decent condition. You have your answer so you decide what it's worth to you. If I were you and trusted the guy and liked the bike, I'd go no higher than $750.

s62
    mtbr member
    no offense taken 5 years ago, the bike ran right under 3000. 2940 or something. Stock. The upgrades, including the fork and the rear shock, run the bike up several hundred more. I added up all the original prices that this guy paid for the bike, and it came to over 4000 I know that obv. it's not worth that now. However, the '02 enduro STOCK are selling for 800+ on ebay. This bike is obv. worth more than the stock enduro's, what with the '05 shock, the upgraded front shock, the rims/wheels, etc. I bet that it would easily make 1000$ on ebay, being in great condition w/ new and better components.
    Point is, I'm not worried about the price. I feel like I'm snagging a solid deal, and am getting WAY more bike than I could afford otherwise. I could never go to a bike shop and get a bike like this. the 1000 range FS bikes just aren't that great. The best I could do is the Ibex Atlas Sport, and that's a FAR cry from this ride.
    Any starting neg. prices I should go with?

s62
    mtbr member
    oh, and keep the opinions coming. The more people that weigh in on the price and the bike, the better I feel :-) Thanks!
    Also, for your inspection, other '02 Enduro auctions (just so you have an idea of the price range that the stock setups, etc., are going for...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6990&rd=1&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7845&rd=1&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8679&rd=1&rd=1

None of those are as good as the bike I'm looking at.
    Last edited by s62; 06-17-2007 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tell him all you have is $740 and go as high as $800. This is a 5 year old bike and like I said, the fork sucks (well, I said it now). The components are okay- nothing great either. You're selling yourself short if you pay $1K for it. Anyone looking for one will be like WTF on that fork so it will not be a high-end specimen on Ebay. I would not touch that fork- not with the choices we have nowadays.

Don't get emotionally sucked in. I do that sometimes and it always paid off when someone convinced me not to buy and I waited for a better choice. Stock bikes are actually more valuable on Ebay than mismatched bikes like this. I woudl buy a stock Enduro over this one. Now if it had a Talas/Float/AM1/ Pike and nice wheels, that would be a different story.

s62
    mtbr member
    Does the shock suck b/c it is mismatched w/ the rear shock? I read the mtbr reviews for the shock, and they were consistantly good... better than many forks I've considered. So it's just a bad fit for that bike, or what? If I get the bike for 800, then I'd love to spend a little more to buy a new fork, if that's the biggest complaint you guys have with the bike. Are the Manitou Minute 3's a good choice you think? The nice thing is that I can find them for around 250 on ebay.
    This will be my first mountain bike (other than the K2 Zed 1.0 entry-level bike that I'm returning to REI), so I want something that will last, that will handle all mountain, that will be good for me learning as well as once I'm quite good, etc. I don't have to have a 6000 DH bike right now, you know? But I do want a serious machine.

Is dang happy!
    That is a borderline freeride bike IMO, It is going to be heavy and fun.
    Get a lite rigid SS for trail riding and you will have your bases covered.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Are you talking to me?

Are you in Anchorage?

I am. If you dont know what to look for, take the bike to The Bicycle Shop, and have Chris and/or Ray look it over. You will be charged for their services, but you will know exactly what needs help, and what is ok.

Personally, I think it is a suspension mismatch, and not a good deal, let alone a great deal. That frame is not rated for dual clamp forks, and the damping in the fork is outdated. I would let it be.

BTW, I worked at the shop for years, and know, you know?
    gfy

TNC
    noMAD man

That fork is "bad".

Does the shock suck b/c it is mismatched w/ the rear shock? I read the mtbr reviews for the shock, and they were consistantly good... better than many forks I've considered. So it's just a bad fit for that bike, or what? If I get the bike for 800, then I'd love to spend a little more to buy a new fork, if that's the biggest complaint you guys have with the bike. Are the Manitou Minute 3's a good choice you think? The nice thing is that I can find them for around 250 on ebay.
    This will be my first mountain bike (other than the K2 Zed 1.0 entry-level bike that I'm returning to REI), so I want something that will last, that will handle all mountain, that will be good for me learning as well as once I'm quite good, etc. I don't have to have a 6000 DH bike right now, you know? But I do want a serious machine.
    s62, I had that very same fork. It has SSV simple ported orifice dampers, and they can't take two good bumps in succession without compression spiking. I had to install Super T dampers in mine to get it to work...a costly mod, even though I work at a shop. That fork has 30mm stanchions...not too bad in a dual crown setup, but even XC forks are coming with 32mm stanchions...and for good reason. That fork feels really nice when you stroke it or when you just drop off a curb or such...one hit, works fairly well. Try riding that fork over a few baby heads or down a staircase...please wear some armor...and you'll see that 6.7" fork turns into a nasty 3" fork...or maybe less.

You mention that this will be your first real MTB, so I think you may be a little overly impressed with how this bike feels and the impressive look of the dual crown fork. As someone pointed out, this frame is not even built to take this fork, which might affect your requirement, "so I want something that will last". If this bike had a fork like a Marz AM1, an RS Pike, or such attached to it, perhaps most of us would be a little more enthusiastic about recommending this bike at this price. I think you see a pattern in most of the recommendations here. BTW, could you measure the eye-to-eye length of that rear shock? As one poster pointed out, this could be a positive or negative issue on the geometry change that occured with a different shock. I've had 3 different FSR Enduro models in the model year range and type that you're looking at, and I modified all of them in some manner. Does that Enduro you're looking at have a linkage modification?...especially since it belongs to someone in a bike related business.

s62
    mtbr member
    Awesome. My girlfriend got her bike from The Bicycle Shop. Good people there. So, if I could get the bike for 800, and then put a new fork on... say a Minute 3, would that be a good deal?
    I could also get this bike, but the shipping would be 150+, thus negating some of the value. Plus the bike isn't in great condition, and the fork makes a funny popping sound .
    I'm in cooper landing, btw, so about 2 hours south of anchorage on the seward highway/sterling highway.

s62
    mtbr member
    TNC, thanks for all the good recommendations and info. I think after all these posts, I won't be buying the bike :-( I'm dissapointed, but will wait for a better deal. I'm still going to talk w/ the guy, and check out the bike while I'm in town.
    So, could you guys recommend some models and components to look out for, something between 800 and 1000? Used or new. I'd rather used and have a better bike than new and not as nice. The Ibex Atlas Sport looks fairly nice, but I want a bit of a better bike, I think.
    Keep shopping the '02 Enduro on ebay?
    Argg... I just don't know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Are you sold on Specialized? The Kona Dawg or Dawg deluxe is a decent trail- riding bike with 5 inches front and rear. the GT i-drive is decent 5 inches front andn rear (07 has 5.5) my point is there are other decent used bkes in that price range.

Portland, OR
    I hear that you think the ibex atlas isnt close component wise to the 5 year old enduro? Dude, Get an ibex. I's a stronger frame than the enduro, plus its BRAND NEW. The suspension actually matches. the shocks on the two are comparable. the fork on the atlas is much better than the crap trap 02 jr t. Not to mention the ibex atlas comes with either avid juicy 3's or 5's. Also a SRAM X.7 drivetrain NEW

NEW NEW NEW NEW Do not buy a 5 year old bike. Especially one that has been ridden for 5 years with a fork it wasn't designed for.

YOU ARE NOT GETTING A GOOD DEAL MAN!

Thats what all these people are telling you. if 15+ people are telling you its not a very great deal, then it really isnt! Get an ibex atlas or something else thats used but no older than 3 years of age. $800.00 for that enduro is a ripoff. I wouldn't buy it unless it was like $450.00 Honestly.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

s62
    mtbr member
    Trail-riding = all mountain? I'm a little confused, sorry :-(
    And todd, I sorta doubt the unbaised nature of your post I like Ibex, you don't have to sell them, be cool. I do appreciate the input, but obvious there are A LOT of people buying 02 enduro's for 800 and up. 450 is absurd.

s62
    mtbr member
    oh, and I'm not totally sold on specialized. I'm definitely open to more suggests to other models. But I want higher end stuff that I can buy used for 800-1000. Not stuff that's 800-1000 new. Even the Atlas Sport just doesn't cut it. I don't want XC or trailriding stuff. I want all mountain.

Portland, OR
    oh, and I'm not totally sold on specialized. I'm definitely open to more suggests to other models. But I want higher end stuff that I can buy used for 800-1000. Not stuff that's 800-1000 new. Even the Atlas Sport just doesn't cut it. I don't want XC or trailriding stuff. I want all mountain.
    uhh, people are doing FR and AM with the atlas. its your best bet. Not trying to totally sell ibex here, but think about it. fantastic components its new and in your price range. If you think the atlas is even close to XC, Then the enduro is just as close to XC. because the atlas is just as if not more capable than any enduro you'll buy.

$450.00 isnt absurd for that bike. I bought a 04 Enduro Expert off craigslist for $650.00 in January. Sold it 2 months later to a friend for $700.00 AFTER I put a nicer fork on the front. I've seen 2002 enduro's pop up in my local craigslist for $750.00 and sit there for a long time.

Believe me, when it comes to Specialized and Ibex...I DO know what I'm talking about.

Look into the giant reign, ibex (more AM/FR than most), fisher fat possum and the kona dawg.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

s62
    mtbr member
    Is Giant a good brand? Are they related to GT? I thought they might be a crap brand...
    And, as for Enduros, just check out ebay. There's an 02 enduro going for 1800 right now, and several more for over 800. I'm not trying to argue too much, just to point out that they are selling for a good bit more than you mention. I'm still considering the Atlas Sport, but the components just don't thrill me. I will check those other models out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast