mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Which Bike? First Full suspension

First full suspension mountain bike. One bike to do it all.

What do you guys think?

2010 GT Force Expert - Carbon ($1300 CAD) -
    The GT is a little more but has been used more still relatively low hours and but in great shape. XO components, 1x11 chain ring upgrade, dropper post. Upgrade handlebars. 26" wheels

OR

2011 Marin Mount Vision XM7 ($900 CAD) -
    The Marin is virtually unused and Mint. XT components. Upgrade handlebars, brakes, pedals. - 26" wheels

Or

2014 Giant Anthem 29er. ($1050 CAD) -
    Low hours. Mostly Diore components with XT derailer. 29" wheels

I live near the rocky mountains, like down hill but need to go up and do some normal cross country trails as well. Looking for a bike that can do it all. Have a budget that Maxes out at 1300 but would like to spend less if possible, this piece isn't as important as I'm ok with spending to my max.

Which would you take if you only got one ride to do it all?

Thanks,
    Adam

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd go for the anthem as it's the most modern bike. It's more of an XC bike but could suffice some light trail duties. Look on PB classifieds as there's a lot of Canadian sellers so you may find a better deal.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are all the same size or at least the correct size for you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Yes all the same correct size.

Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Are all the same size or at least the correct size for you?

Yes all the same correct size.
    Thanks,
    Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you ride up to ride down & do a bit of XC in the middle I'd go with the 2010 GT Force Expert

I think the Anthem will be a bit of a liability when things get steep, but a better climber & XC rig.

The GT Should climb and XC reasonably well with gravity assist & rougher trails as it's favorite. Which is what I prefer, so there's my vote.

WillWorkForTrail
    I would avoid the Anthem in a used situation, particularly if you ride hard. The frame is a liability in and of itself. I'm on my third frame on my Anthem, which Giant has covered every cent of under warranty, but you don't get that if you buy it used.

Of the other two, I'd take the GT, but:
    Are you prepared to spend at least another $500 on that bike? Because unless the seller has receipts from where and when the suspension was last serviced, you might want to have that done, as well as having the pivots checked out, etc. - be prepared for a full blown tune up on any used FS bike unless the seller can prove they've just done one.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The GT sounds like the sweetest of the bunch. If you like to go down, you'll want something with a slacker head tube angle, at least. Looks like the GT is probably the right choice out of those three.

The Marin looks like it has avid elixer brakes? I wouldn't buy a used bike with those after reading about so many problems with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First decide if you want the 26 or 29 inch wheels.

Next, decide what bike feels best to you.

Finally, they're used bikes so negotiate a good price. Where I am you almost have to pay someone to take a 26" bike if it's not a dirt jumper or for a kid.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ