mtbr member

Bike Conversion: Down Hill to All Mountain

does anyone have experience converting downhill bikes to all mountain bikes?

like smaller forks? or is this unheard of?

specific bikes that i am thinking of converting: 2007 kona stinky

Dirt Deviant
    I'm sure you could make a stinky a pretty decent trail bike.
    While it will still be heavier than a traditional trail bike, it is totally doable.
    I have a buddy that ride his SX Trail everywhere. It weighs like 39lbs, and he rips on it. Even on the ups.
    Maybe a lighter wheelset, some 2.3ish tires, travel adjust fork, and even an air shock would make it pretty AM worthy....as long as you have it setup with a double crankset, and a regular cassette.......like a 11-34
    The possibilities are endless.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    You wouldn't want to try this with a full on dh bike though, not a good idea with a v10.
    Last edited by Flystagg; 09-18-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Dirt Deviant
    Yea, prolly not.
    But a stinky should pedal OK if setup right.
    I do have a buddy that rides a little AM on his VP Free
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I dropped 6lbs off my SX Trail so I could ride more AM on it. The stinky frame may be a little bit of a struggle on the uphills unless you get a rear shock with lockout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I tried to convert an Orange 223 by putting on a single crown fork (170mm Maz), A full range of gears, an air shock (DHX air) and lighter wheels.

It sucked big time! So I sold it and bought a true all mountain bike.

A stinky is probably more doable though. Pay attention to the shock it will need to be really well damped to control the ride especially when climbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im riding a 47lb banshee scream right now

i lowered the fork crowns quite a bit, it helps but its not perfect. i have a front der with 32t/22t gears, i ride the 22t 75% of the time. im also running maxxis minion fr 2.35 tires. they are single ply so theyre light. however i am running a dh tube in the rear

ive done several long rides on it. its fun to bomb hills, and i can sit and pedal thru really knarly sections. but when theres a steep tech climb or long climb with loose ground i sometimes struggle

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I trail ride my perp a lot, more of a freeride bike though. I'm saving up for a light wheelset/ 2.35 tires should be great.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    my advice before you start spending a bunch of coin only to find out its not what you want it think carefully...about perhaps selling the bike and buying bike that will fit your needs from the get go.

having said that, if you love the stinky it can be done...and since i dont know what you mean by AM it may or may not be a horrible (or good) idea

Members who have read this thread: 3