mtbr member
    Jun 2007

bike choice: AM will work for urban assault + XC?

Here's the deal: I ride about an even combination of singletrack (getting more technical the better I get) and urban assault (I'd do some dirt jumping if I could find any jumps).

I've only been biking seriously for 6 or 8 weeks, so I'm not comfortable enough to be doing more than 1 or 2 foot drops on the trail, but I expect to get there eventually. I'm riding a Raleigh Mojave 2.0, so I'm also afraid to do anything big on the street for fear of breaking it.

I'm 5'6", about 140lbs, and my bike has a 15.5" frame. I've ridden a few other bikes, and I've realized how small this bike is for me. However, the small frame (and light weight) make it relatively easy to get off the ground.

I think that, given what I ride, an AM bike is my best choice (dirt jump bikes aren't usually well enough geared, and I don't like the geometry all that much), but I'm not certain. I'm also a bit concerned about the weight being too much for me to do anything on the street with. I'm aiming for a hardtail, both for price, and because it's better for jumping and urban stuff.

Thoughts? Is it even possible for me to find one bike that will let me do all of this decently?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gary Fisher Biggun's
    Specialized Hardrock
    Norco

I'm still not sure what you consider "urban assault". I consider it jumping off staircases and doing fairly large drops off walls and stuff. Some others consider "urban assault" commuting. Urban assault to me would include gaps the size of dirt jumps, but you said you don't do drops any larger than a foot or two.

If you're riding trails as well as having "fun downtown", I'd consider a hardtail with a 4-5" travel fork in the 28-32lb range. I really love the Banshee Scirocco with a Pike or maybe Fox Vanilla if you want to save a lb for that trail riding.

I think it all depends on the size of your wallet. The Specialized Hardrock series is pretty tough and cheap. The Banshee and Norco lines are a little pricy'er, but very nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    By urban assault I mean stairs, curbs, and I'm working on learning some flatland tricks. As I get better (and no longer have a bike I can break) I'll do bigger drops (at least 3 or 4 feet).

I'm looking at the Norco shore freeride HTs. I've also checked out the Specialized p.all mountain. Thanks for the tips.

El Pollo Diablo
    burly hardtail sounds like it will fit the bill, between the norcos and the p.bikes, I'd steer ya towards the Norcos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    burly hardtail sounds like it will fit the bill, between the norcos and the p.bikes, I'd steer ya towards the Norcos.
    Any particular reason?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hal729
    By urban assault I mean stairs, curbs, and I'm working on learning some flatland tricks. As I get better (and no longer have a bike I can break) I'll do bigger drops (at least 3 or 4 feet).

I'm looking at the Norco shore freeride HTs. I've also checked out the Specialized p.all mountain. Thanks for the tips.
    I'm really impressed with Norco's warranty.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Evil Sovereign will work well for AM, XC, Urban, and DJ's

El Pollo Diablo
    the P. bikes are more dedicated street/DJ bikes, the norcos are more well rounded and trailable.

mtbr member

Specialized SX is what i would say. Probably alittle more geared torward trails, but i'd ride it in the street too

El Pollo Diablo
    he's looking for a hardtail, so no.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Haro Escape. I got one and your riding is the same as mine. I got a 16 inch bike and I ride xc, urban, and anything that looks fun anywhere. Overbuilt hardtail with 120 mm travel made with strongest aluminum. Plus it looks super sexy.