Thread: Which bike???

mtbr member
    May 2007

Which bike???

Ok, I am currently looking to bike a new bike. I am new to this scene and I am stuck between a 2006 Kona Kikapu and a 2007 Jamis Dakar xc. The Kona is going for 850 at one bike shop and at another bike shop the Jamis is going for 800. I am 6'1 230lbs, which bike would be better suited for me? Also the Jamis is a 19inch frame and the Kona is a 18inch frame. I asked the guy at the bike shop if 18inch would be to small and he said it would work fine. So does anyone have any experience with these 2 bikes?

Hi!!!
    There is not a beginner forum on MTBR?

mtbr member
    For that price I might go for a HT instead of a FS.
    Well, I was just riding along when...

mtbr member
    Belay, nice avatar, I wonder if the Hiltons will stock the jail with robes, towels, soaps and small coffee pots for all the prisoners or should I say mandatory guests.

Back to the OP, I would go for the Kona. I have a Stinky and can tell you they are made to last.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks JMAC. Also, who cares if there is a beginner forum? I was asking which bike would be better.. I could of said I have been riding for 10years and it still would have been the same question.

Hi!!!
    I thought this was the "All Mountain" forum though???

And FWIW one of my riding buddies has the Kona and that thing is a tank. We tried to get rid of some ghost shifting that was happening on his bike Friday night. Problem not yet solved.

banned
    Ever visit the beginners forums or which bike to buy forum, probably not! Most of us never go over there to help the new guys out, I've posted over there, and didn't get any help so ended up posting here! I used to ride the dakar, I liked it. Nice solid bike. Did everything I needed it too.

MTB SOCAL
    You probably should test ride both bikes. At your height, you may be more comfortable on a larger frame. You should probably be looking at 19 and 20" frames. Other than that, both bikes are decent entry-level FS bikes with 4" suspension. Neither will be very light, but at that pricepoint, you won't find any FS bikes that are super light. But, at your weight, a sturdier bike can serve you well as a trail bike for aggressive XC.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks everyone for your help. It is just gonna come down to which bike feels more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Get a bigger frame. You can always get a shorter stem or move seat little. Once you get a small frame it is hard to make it bigger. I am sure you need at least 19" but test 20" too.

ride hard take risks
    Jamis Dakar all the way. Sweet bike with a great CS backed company.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

if thats the same Kikapu on closeout at

wheelworld.com for only $600, I still wouldn't buy it- it is definately a TANK! Keep looking.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Man, wheelworld is not shipping the Konas out....

mtbr member
    Kona is on sale all over the paces you just need to live close by to pick it up. Just look in your local stores and negotiate the price. It is nowhere written that you need to buy for what they sell it for. Yes, $600 is cheap so do not expect a super light bike but Kona has some good bikes for little more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

yes, they do ship...

Quote Originally Posted by abercrfootball
    Man, wheelworld is not shipping the Konas out....
    if you know someone in LA who will walk into one of their stores and place your order ...