Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Big Wheels Be Damned

It wasn't long ago that I blissfuly went for bike rides with friends and shot the $%*+ about all manner of things. Everything except wheel size! Now I can't bump into anyone with out having to compare notes on, "how are you digging 650B bro"? Or, "How were those switchbacks on that 29'r"?
    Guess what. I just bought the bike of my dreams and it's a good old fashioned 26'r man! Apples and and oranges. Different strokes for different folks, right? I know the science says that bigger wheels are more efficient and carry more momentum but smaller wheels are quicker, more nimble, and still go pretty damn fast. I'm looking forward to the wheel revolution losing some of that momentum so we can get back to talking about beer, backcountry trips, and how sick your last ride was.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I bought my Enduro 29er to piss people off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

passed out in your garden
    I'll happily talk beer with you, as the size of my beer is more important than the size of my wheels
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Everyone wants to be faster than their friends. New stuff is bright and shiny and dangles that promise. No-one wants to accept that speed comes from genetics and training, not the bike. There will always be gear talk, and for a while to come it will be about wheel size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can understand reduced rr, but more momentum? thats been debunked on most motor sports for decades. Heavier wheels are never an advantage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    I can understand reduced rr, but more momentum? thats been debunked on most motor sports for decades. Heavier wheels are never an advantage.
    Yes, more momentum. Momentum = Mass x Velocity. So, more mass at a given velocity = more momentum. You can argue that it doesn't matter, or it doesn't have an effect, but you can't argue that the bigger wheels don't carry more momentum; they do.

I ride bikes
    I only discuss bottom brackets while riding.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

mtbr member
    No-one wants to accept that speed comes from genetics and training, not the bike.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    I'm gonna go slap both my parents. I inherited being slow.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, speed does come from genetics and training, but that same exact person may be faster on a better bike right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    this.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by jredling View Post
    Yeah, speed does come from genetics and training, but that same exact person may be faster on a better bike right.
    So wheel size makes a bike better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No, I just mean in general. I don't believe that bigger wheels are better. I love my 26 enduro.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Buddy of mine rides a 29er and he says it's not as nimble as his 26.

I ride a 26 and can get smoked by a better rider on a 24, 26, 27.5, 29, etc. Which is pretty much anyone on the trail. I'm seriously slow...

I'm not as experienced as many on this forum, but I've found that putting strength and endurance aside, technique and proper bike setup is the key element to efficiency whether bicycles, motorcycles, guitars, etc...

Best bike? The one you're enjoying riding...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Man, with all the BB "standards" you have conversation for miles and miles of riding.

unrooted
    I'm pretty sure there are pros and cons to every wheel size, and you should personally evaluate those and apply them to the type of riding you plan on doing.

Wheels and bike frames should never be onesizefitsall.

I am 6'4" tall and for xc/trail riding it makes sense to me to ride a 29er. For my 5'8" wife that ALWAYS keeps the wheels on the ground it has made her a much more stable rider to use 29" wheels. Last month I demoed a 6" travel Ibis 26er, I was not stoked on the rocky uphill, but I had a blast throwing it around on the rocky downhill.

I am over talking wheel size as well. I would much rather talk about how much fun the trails are, tech tips, good food/beer, etc.

29ers Forever
    Yes, 29ers are somewhat slower and turn not nearly as well, but with improved rollover, and the fact that once a 29er is up to speed, there is NO stopping it. Where a 26er would be slowed down in ruts and such, a 29er rolls over everything.
    The only thing stopping a 29er is a tree, or another biker in the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Who the hell wants to talk about beer? I want to drink it, plus a
    shot of good whiskey.

Merendon Junkie
    I am a tad faster on my 29er in most of the trails I ride but more momentum is not an advantage. Its a disadvantage. The benefits mainly come from the angle of attack, bb position vs hub axles etc but definitely not from increased rolling momentum. If you loose less speed in a bump because the wheel is heavier, thus more momentum, it takes more effort to recover that speed vs a lighter wheel, because of that same said momentum. On a long and sustained climb, that momentum (mass) is always working against you, but the increased rollover more than compensates (not on a smooth climb). Its funny how marketing guys turn cons into pros that easily.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Get a 29er FS frame and put 26ers on it, and a square taper spindle BB.
    I drive more when the streets need repairs!

squish, squish in da fish
    ^^^ LOL!!! coffee now in sinus cavity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Who the hell wants to talk about beer?
    blasphemy!

i only talk about stem size and nipples

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Yes, more momentum. Momentum = Mass x Velocity. So, more mass at a given velocity = more momentum. You can argue that it doesn't matter, or it doesn't have an effect, but you can't argue that the bigger wheels don't carry more momentum; they do.
    by that logic you could achieve the same effect by adding weight to a roller skate wheel. It's true that at a given speed a heavier bike has more momentum, and yet conventional wisdom holds that lighter is better. I don't see people adding weight to their bikes; maybe they are so dumb the only way they can figure out how is with bigger wheels?

I know this will come as a shock to some, but there really is more to engineering than googling a couple high school physics lessons.

mtbr member

ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yay, another wheel size rant! Why does wheel size cause so much drama? Why does it require a debate? Why does the "other" wheel size make people angry? Why do people have such an allegiance to something so trivial? I don't get it.

The best example is in Brian Lopes' book "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills", in that book, Brian has very strong (and silly) opinions against 29'ers. Guess what he rides now?

mtbr member
    OP is tired (npi) of talking about wheel sizes, starts a thread about it.
    Santa Cruz 5010 V2

mtbr member

Big Wheels Be Damned

Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post

The best example is in Brian Lopes' book "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills", in that book, Brian has very strong (and silly) opinions against 29'ers. Guess what he rides now?
    Now that he is pretty much retired? Is it a surprise he likes his big stable trail bike rather than the 26er hardtail that he raced for DECADES? Last time i checked he isn't doing crazy **** on the Ripley like he was doing in the past.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

passed out in your garden

Re: Big Wheels Be Damned

I reckon 28.25" wheels would be the best.

Then you wouldnt be a wanker on 29s,
    and you wouldnt be a wannabe on 27.5s.

Just saying......

Now, where's my (large) beer?
    always mad and usually drunk......

unrooted
    Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Goldilocks. She went for a walk in the forest. Pretty soon, she came upon a house. She knocked and, when no one answered, she walked right in.

At the table in the kitchen, there were three bowls of porridge. Goldilocks was hungry. She tasted the porridge from the first bowl.

"This porridge is too hot!" she exclaimed.

So, she tasted the porridge from the second bowl.

"This porridge is too cold," she said

So, she tasted the last bowl of porridge.

"Ahhh, this porridge is just right," she said happily and she ate it all up.

After she'd eaten the three bears' breakfasts she decided she was feeling a little tired. So, she walked into the living room where she saw three chairs. Goldilocks sat in the first chair to rest her feet.

"This chair is too big!" she exclaimed.

So she sat in the second chair.

"This chair is too big, too!" she whined.

So she tried the last and smallest chair.

"Ahhh, this chair is just right," she sighed. But just as she settled down into the chair to rest, it broke into pieces!

Goldilocks was very tired by this time, so she went upstairs to the bedroom. She lay down in the first bed, but it was too hard. Then she lay in the second bed, but it was too soft. Then she lay down in the third bed and it was just right. Goldilocks fell asleep.

As she was sleeping, the three bears came home.

"Someone's been eating my porridge," growled the Papa bear.

"Someone's been eating my porridge," said the Mama bear.

"Someone's been eating my porridge and they ate it all up!" cried the Baby bear.

"Someone's been sitting in my chair," growled the Papa bear.

"Someone's been sitting in my chair," said the Mama bear.

"Someone's been sitting in my chair and they've broken it all to pieces," cried the Baby bear.

They decided to look around some more and when they got upstairs to the bedroom, Papa bear growled, "Someone's been sleeping in my bed,"

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed, too" said the Mama bear

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed and she's still there!" exclaimed Baby bear.

Just then, Goldilocks woke up and saw the three bears. She screamed, "Help!" And she jumped up and ran out of the room. Goldilocks ran down the stairs, opened the door, and ran away into the forest. And she never returned to the home of the three bears.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.ski View Post
    Best bike? The one you're enjoying riding...
    Exactly..

mtbr member

Big Wheels Be Damned

I was with a buddy yesterday climbing up Mt TAm, him on a 26er me on a 29er. I was saying he should switch to a 9er because of easier climbing and going over rocks and roots on the trail. He said it did look smooth going over all that stuff. After about an hour of climbing I was out of gas and walking my bike while he was waiting at the top of a super steep climb. I got to the top and he said it does look a lot easier to push that thing up the hill, it really rolls nice.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I was with a buddy yesterday climbing up Mt TAm, him on a 26er me on a 29er. I was saying he should switch to a 9er because of easier climbing and going over rocks and roots on the trail. He said it did look smooth going over all that stuff. After about an hour of climbing I was out of gas and walking my bike while he was waiting at the top of a super steep climb. I got to the top and he said it does look a lot easier to push that thing up the hill, it really rolls nice.
    Not where I expected this story to go based on the first couple of sentences.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Huffy Rider
    I only have 12 speeds and my wheels are small

**** this ****
    I was always jealous of the kids in my neighborhood with Big Wheels. My parents heard about how kids got run over because they were so low people wouldn't see them in driveways, so they wouldn't buy me one. Gave me some crappy trike with small wheels instead. I guess what I'm saying, is that I can really empathize with the OP.

In the spirit of "The Jerk"...

"Big Wheels--I DAMN YOU".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yay, another wheel size rant! Why does wheel size cause so much drama? Why does it require a debate? Why does the "other" wheel size make people angry? Why do people have such an allegiance to something so trivial? I don't get it.
    Speaking for myself - and regarding the drama not the anger - it is because it is making the bike buying process confusing. It's great that there are so many choices, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want.

I rode 26" forever, but last november I traded in my 26" SS for a SS Yelli Screamy. AMAZING! Love that bike! So, it seemed like 29 was a winner. But now many of my 29er FS riding friends are excited about 27.5 and talking about switching - but unlike me, they get new bikes frequently.

Also, test riding bikes is tough in that the setup of the bike makes so much difference. For instance, I rode a 130mm 27.5 bike (the new GT Force) and loved it - but it felt sluggish on the flats and slow on the climbs. BUT, while I was riding it on my local trails, it was set up with ~1,000 gram tires, much heavier than I usually ride - which could easily explain the sluggish feeling.

I recently rode a Yeti SB-95 and loved it, but it did have that "big" feeling, especially popping off little jumps and ledges. BUT, it was set up with riser bars and several spacers under the stem, where I have my 29er set up with flat bars and a low stem...

It's hard to figure it out, and more so given that these things cost so much you don't want to make a mistake.

EDR

Re: Big Wheels Be Damned

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    the fact that once a 29er is up to speed, there is NO stopping it. Where a 26er would be slowed down in ruts and such, a 29er rolls over everything.
    The only thing stopping a 29er is a tree, or another biker in the way.
    This is why there is so much contempt towards big wheels from some folks.... But it's not the wheel size that gets people all hot under the collar, it's the zealots.

mtbr member
    jared graves, stevie smith, mitch ropelato @ pmb dh world's last weekend...not hatin just statin...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    jared graves, stevie smith, mitch ropelato @ pmb dh world's last weekend...not hatin just statin...
    What are you saying.

They all had diffrent sized wheels. And steve and mitch crashed in the first corner.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    Well, I wonder.... why don't they race those bike at Val de Sol? or Mont Saint Anne? just statin...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    Get a 29er FS frame and put 26ers on it, and a square taper spindle BB.
    i am insulted by your sarcasm! LOL i still rock square taper BB and 9mm QRs (on a 26er even)!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Technique and skills have more to do with bike handling than anything else. Get out and learn to ride and then drink beer like a pro.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

All 26.5" all the time!

Whatever his sponsor(s) demands. His salary and expenses come out of the marketing budget after all. It would be foolish to let him ride something other than the product(s) his sponsors are offering at this time.

unrooted
    I think it's just an obvious sign that you learn to ride what you got. In pretty sure Lopes could kick ass on any bike you put him on.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    blasphemy!

i only talk about stem size and nipples
    Yea, I could take this comment about stem size and nipples and run with it, but this is a family friendly site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti View Post
    Whatever his sponsor(s) demands. His salary and expenses come out of the marketing budget after all. It would be foolish to let him ride something other than the product(s) his sponsors are offering at this time.
    It happens though, labels/colors can be changed...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here is my .02¢. I am looking at getting into the sport and am trying to decide which path is best to go. It really seems to me the real issue gets lost in the debate. More of a my 650b is better because your 29er is stupid and visversa. It really masks the decision making process for someone trying to get into the sport. I could see where the original poster is coming from here.

To me this is a lot about gearing. The way I look at it is coming from the automotive field. The 650b will always give you better acceleration but suffer in more top speed. It would be the opposite for a larger tire. The momentum argument is also a good point. But because of the way gearing works, the 29er would be slower on the climb. I am sure though that manufactures would take this into consideration when looking at the drive train. The cassette should gear lower in a 29er than a 650b. This may make up for some of this gearing between tire size, but it may not make up for all of it.

I think gearing is the biggest consideration when choosing a tire size. I think a lot of consideration should be how much power is at the peddles. I am 6'2 and 220 lbs, given my weight, I think a 29er would fit me better. But I think me being a beginner I may benefit from a 650b for recovering from mistakes.

I think it is a legitimate discussion to have.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchP View Post
    Here is my .02¢. I am looking at getting into the sport and am trying to decide which path is best to go. It really seems to me the real issue gets lost in the debate. More of a my 650b is better because your 29er is stupid and visversa. It really masks the decision making process for someone trying to get into the sport. I could see where the original poster is coming from here.

To me this is a lot about gearing. The way I look at it is coming from the automotive field. The 650b will always give you better acceleration but suffer in more top speed. It would be the opposite for a larger tire. The momentum argument is also a good point. But because of the way gearing works, the 29er would be slower on the climb. I am sure though that manufactures would take this into consideration when looking at the drive train. The cassette should gear lower in a 29er than a 650b. This may make up for some of this gearing between tire size, but it may not make up for all of it.

I think gearing is the biggest consideration when choosing a tire size. I think a lot of consideration should be how much power is at the peddles. I am 6'2 and 220 lbs, given my weight, I think a 29er would fit me better. But I think me being a beginner I may benefit from a 650b for recovering from mistakes.

Not even a mention of 26"... Sad day. Beginners getting into the sport will suffer in the long run because they were never given the opportunity to learn the skills needed To ride 26", instead they will learn to plow over everything on 29ers or even 650b...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Not even a mention of 26"... Sad day. Beginners getting into the sport will suffer in the long run because they were never given the opportunity to learn the skills needed To ride 26", instead they will learn to plow over everything on 29ers or even 650b...
    And what's with not making them use drum brakes!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And what's with not making them use drum brakes!
    Marketing called. They want you to have your wallet back.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchP View Post

29ers are faster than 26ers on climbs, and they have more traction with a larger patch of tire hitting the ground, making them easier to climb because it is more consistent in speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast