Thread: Big Poppy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Big Poppy!

No, this thread is not about baseball rather my analysis paralysis in making a new bike decision. My riding has become more gravity focused, not that I'm hucking huge gaps or massive drops, but I do find myself seeking every hit possible in my comfort level. I'm in Portland, OR with about 5 great all montain/freeride locations within 1.5 hours away that I hit weekly.

I currently have a Kona Entourage that I just picked up used and will be putting it up for sell shortly. The problem with the Entourage is it's lack of pedabilitiy. I mean it's a pusher plain and simple. Fun to plow thru downhill runs but needs a car to get it back up the hill. With that said I'm looking for a bike in the 160-180mm travel territory that can be pedaled to the top and be poppy/playful for the ride down. My biggest problem is that quite a lot of manufactures do not make XLs. I'm 6'4 225lbs (plan on 215 by spring).

Can anyone recommend me a somewhat burly poppy pedable bike? Right now I'm leaning towards the new 27.5 Transition Covert as they just started making them in XL. Well, that and it won't cost me over $4500 to build (chilcotin, Rune). Any other bikes I should be considering?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The new Canfield Balance, but i don't think it will be out till next spring. The santa cruz Bronson or Nomad. Trek Slash, Pivot Firebird, Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    The new Canfield Balance, but i don't think it will be out till next spring. The santa cruz Bronson or Nomad. Trek Slash, Pivot Firebird, Pivot Mach 6
    Thanks slowpok! The Canfield surely will be out of my price range and the Pivots only come in Large...what's up with that anyways?

I originally planned on the Bronson, but as of late I'm not sure if it's the right bike for my growing love for jumps & drops. The Nomad however is and I've been researching it lately. With the recent specualation on it going the 650b route I may have to sit back and wait to see what happens to it in 2014.

Between the covert and Nomad, which one would be able to take the most abuse? aka, the most burliest.

Any other options in the sub $3500 price range?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The 26" wheel firebird and the mach 6 both come in xl but the 27.5 firebird appears to not come in xl.

Oh yes another would be the Norco Range.

As for which is burlier i would suggest see if you can find some to demo and give them a go and see which you like better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Don't think you have to worry about the Bronson's jumping ability. Check out the last half of this video.

Video: This Is Peaty - Josh Bryceland Special - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
    Don't think you have to worry about the Bronson's jumping ability. Check out the last half of this video.

Video: This Is Peaty - Josh Bryceland Special - Pinkbike
    Damn, now that's some air time. Talk about whipping some turns on the Bronson, that was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Evil Uprising?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Interesting update, I contacted Pivot yesterday and they DO NOT make the Firebird in XL. That goes for both the regular and 27.5. Apparently XL Firebird sales were too low to carry the size forward...Weak.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Transition Covert 27.5 and Norco Range. Anyone with experience on either care to share? I'd love to hear.

mtbr member
    man the NS soda would be perfect for you, but I think you're probably too tall for the large. I know they did make the large size bigger last year, so may be worth a peek at the geo but pretty sure you're too tall

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    man the NS soda would be perfect for you, but I think you're probably too tall for the large. I know they did make the large size bigger last year, so may be worth a peek at the geo but pretty sure you're too tall
    I know right? I checked out the NS soda and came to the same conclusion that it was too small. thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 6'4 and 260. I find the Mojo HD excellent for similar type riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Check out a XL SB66. Those things look freakishly long.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.