Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Big bike short stem vs small bike long stem ?

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  fishercat 
#1 ·
Which do you prefer and why ?

#2 ·
I prefer the proper sized frame with a short stem. I like a short stem for control and si I`m not leaning out over the front wheel all the time. I can lean when I turn all on my own. Most modern bikes are designed around a 50mm to 70mm stem. Any longer and you are probably on too small a frame.

#8 ·
b-kul said:
you cant make the wrong size frame fit with a certain stem. stem length will help dictate how a bike feels.
Agreed.

Wider bar and a shorter stem put your body in a more dynamic position, but there is little point using a shorter stem with narrow bars or the handling will get too twitchy. Also the wider bar will reduce the effect of a shorter stem as the longer bars will put more of your weight over the front of your bike again.

To me a smaller frame feels better if you are doing more technical riding, like DJ/FR/DH and the more aggressive side of AM. However with a road bike and a XC/trail/light AM bike bike fit becomes much more important.

In other words for aggressive or technical riding go smaller and don't sweat it, if you are doing very cardio/enduro/flat/climbing based cycling that isn't as technical get a bike frame that fits. Don't go bigger it always kills the fun.

#9 ·
jetta_mike said:
How are you "between 2 sizes". I have to most effed up body ever: I'm 5'8" with a 33" in seam which gives really long legs for my height, in turn that gives me a really short torso. That being said I have no trouble fitting into a frame that's the proper size for me.
I 5'5.5" with 31" inseam riding a medium sized frame. the frame seems a bit long but the seat-tube is good. I am thinking of going with a smaller frame. I have a 70mm on my medium and there is no way i could go longer. My bike feels very XC. Its an Ibis Mojo. Thing is.... my friends small looks like a kids bike on me ! I know most people my size are riding smalls (15.5-16") for more technical terrain. On a small i could run a 90mm stem for more xc riding and a 70mm for more technical fun riding.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.