mtbr member

Big bike short stem vs small bike long stem ?

Which do you prefer and why ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I prefer the proper sized frame with a short stem. I like a short stem for control and si I`m not leaning out over the front wheel all the time. I can lean when I turn all on my own. Most modern bikes are designed around a 50mm to 70mm stem. Any longer and you are probably on too small a frame.

mtbr member
    Agreed, however some of us are in between sizes so must choose slightly big or slightly small and make up difference with stem length.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Depends on what your are riding. I like my DH, FR & DJ bikes a little small. XC & AM I am ok with a bit bigger.

usually cranky
    you cant make the wrong size frame fit with a certain stem. stem length will help dictate how a bike feels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i prefer a short, flat (no or VERY little rise) stem with flat bars.

IMO its a really nice feel more control and gives me a lil more aggressive stance
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

mtbr member
    How are you "between 2 sizes". I have to most effed up body ever: I'm 5'8" with a 33" in seam which gives really long legs for my height, in turn that gives me a really short torso. That being said I have no trouble fitting into a frame that's the proper size for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    you cant make the wrong size frame fit with a certain stem. stem length will help dictate how a bike feels.
    Agreed.

Wider bar and a shorter stem put your body in a more dynamic position, but there is little point using a shorter stem with narrow bars or the handling will get too twitchy. Also the wider bar will reduce the effect of a shorter stem as the longer bars will put more of your weight over the front of your bike again.

To me a smaller frame feels better if you are doing more technical riding, like DJ/FR/DH and the more aggressive side of AM. However with a road bike and a XC/trail/light AM bike bike fit becomes much more important.

In other words for aggressive or technical riding go smaller and don't sweat it, if you are doing very cardio/enduro/flat/climbing based cycling that isn't as technical get a bike frame that fits. Don't go bigger it always kills the fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetta_mike
    How are you "between 2 sizes". I have to most effed up body ever: I'm 5'8" with a 33" in seam which gives really long legs for my height, in turn that gives me a really short torso. That being said I have no trouble fitting into a frame that's the proper size for me.
    I 5'5.5" with 31" inseam riding a medium sized frame. the frame seems a bit long but the seat-tube is good. I am thinking of going with a smaller frame. I have a 70mm on my medium and there is no way i could go longer. My bike feels very XC. Its an Ibis Mojo. Thing is.... my friends small looks like a kids bike on me ! I know most people my size are riding smalls (15.5-16") for more technical terrain. On a small i could run a 90mm stem for more xc riding and a 70mm for more technical fun riding.

mtbr member
    what size bike do you ride Mike ??