Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Wheelset.

906 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  scoutcat 
#1 ·
So I have decided I want to make to put some money into my Motolite and make it better. First thing I thought of was getting rid of my bontrager wheelset for a lighter/better wheelset. What would be a good wheelset I could get?

Thanks

#4 ·
Get a good quality hub, spokes and rims, chosen to suit your needs, a bit of time with a spoke wrench and voila a quality set of wheels is soon yours. System wheelsets you usually have to give something up IMHO and are more trouble to service/replace parts. YMMV.

Now, would someone please translate this: Transitions there customer is bad

#5 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Get a good quality hub, spokes and rims, chosen to suit your needs, a bit of time with a spoke wrench and voila a quality set of wheels is soon yours. System wheelsets you usually have to give something up IMHO and are more trouble to service/replace parts. YMMV.[/I]
+million... Hand built every time.

(System wheelsets - dud when a rim dies or you need replacement parts for a hub - I know there are exceptions, so no flame! So far, 20+ years of committed cycling and IMHO I've never seen a pair of system wheels out perform handbuilt... even in the highly competitive world of road cycling).

#6 ·
Stay away from wheelsystems. Go with reputable builders that focus on your needs and customize a set based around everything from the terrain to your weight. There is a difference.

More info is needed, but depending on where you are, you could probably give Larry at Mtnhighcyclery a call (he's Ventanarama on these forums). He could likely give you a great price and great advice.

#7 ·
I have to say that I've been extremely happy with my Spinergy Xyclone disc wheel set. I've ridden for about 2 years on many rocky rides and it's still perfectly true and does it's job (I only weigh 150 btw). The best part is it only weighs 1695g for the set.

Having said that if i was to get another wheel set I'd go to Chain Reaction Cycles and have them build me one because the prices are crazy inexpensive right now and they have a great selection.

Good luck on your build!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.