mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Best Value XC bike

Hi,

I've gotten into mountain biking recently and i'd like to get a new bike.

Right now I have a trek 3500, which I enjoy riding in bragg creek near Calgary. I'm no downhill bomber, and never will be, just want something nicer for handling intermediate stuff.

I was considering getting a trek fuel ex 8, or a ghost amr lector (see link below), but looking at the price (3k) I just feel ripped off...I don't think i'm going to 6x as capable a rider on them as on my $500 dollar trek 3500.

Anyone have a recommendation for the best value $1500 or less xc bike preferable full suspension, but hill consider hard tail. When a mountain bike costs 3k, i just feel like i'm being taken advantage of.

Ghost AMR Lector 7700 Bicycle - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Level 5 Rider!
    How's bragg creek looking? (I'm near Calgary myself)

I was looking around at some reviews and saw the Giant Trance X3 got some good reviews. When you get one let me know what you think of it because next year I'm hoping on getting a FS.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Airborne

Airborne Bicycles

Giant also has some nice rides just about $1700. Look at the Trance or tbe Anthem.

mtbr member
    I want to add that there's some killer deals starting to happen on used bikes too.

mtbr member
    Santa cruz superlight. A good do everything bike.

2013 Santa Cruz Bicycles Superlight 29 D XC Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

This is a little more expensive than you were asking, but competitive cyclist is always a little expensive. I'm sure you could find a 2012 model in your price range. Or a very nice used one

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm in Calgary and I just picked up a 2012 Rocky Mountain Element 30 from The Bike Shop on 11 ave downtown. It was regular $2300 and I got it for $1500 + GST.
    I couldn't be happier with this bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmojorising8 View Post
    Hi,

I was considering getting a trek fuel ex 8, or a ghost amr lector (see link below), but looking at the price (3k) I just feel ripped off...I don't think i'm going to 6x as capable a rider on them as on my $500 dollar trek 3500.
    3k is actually cheap for a FS.

at your price point i would def get a hardtail. id recommend a steel frame with slx parts and last years RS Revelation on sale. and dont get XC geometry. get something a bit slacker and more fun.

mtbr member
    My friend just picked up a (ht) Cannondale Sl2 hardtail 29er for $1200 - it's super fast probably about 27 lbs for a large frame and imo very aesthetically pleasing.

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    unfortunately i can't seem to find the santa cruz you mentioned for sale where i live. what do you think of this?

http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-111/g...0+50002+50013e

or this?

Ghost AMR Plus 5900 Bicycle - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I'd rather get the carbon one, the aluminum one seems heavy

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spoiledone View Post
    I'm in Calgary and I just picked up a 2012 Rocky Mountain Element 30 from The Bike Shop on 11 ave downtown. It was regular $2300 and I got it for $1500 + GST.
    I couldn't be happier with this bike
    the element 30 is on sale for 2k according to the stores website. how did you get it for 1500?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmojorising8 View Post
    the element 30 is on sale for 2k according to the stores website. how did you get it for 1500?
    Ya I saw that on their website, but when you go to the store you will see it for $1879 or something like that. I told them I was looking at a Trek Fuel 5 on sale for $1500 at another bike shop and he said he would let me have it for that price.

mtbr member
    Trek is doing an annual summer sale right now. Any Fuel Ex 8s still left should be under $2,400. If they aren't, your LBS is boning you.

At the $1,500 price point I'd pick a Giant Trance X3 any day. I know that the Anthem is the XC race bike, but a Trance would get you going quite nicely and I think most people do more trail riding than XC racing.