mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Best used, new? downhill orientated 120 - 140 mm FS sweeper bike for around $1.5K

Howdy folks,

Done lots of reading. Thank you MTBR community. Iíve got a young family. We have enjoyed trail riding. Especially the beginner trails at Mammoth, with lift assist last season and general riding around east Ventura county.

Iím basically cruising sweep and our speeds arenít that high of course. Iím thinking FS, 120 to 140mm would be the sweet spot for carving, enjoying bouncing off of little roots, rocks, little jumps while I take care of business. I donít do crazy doubles or big gappers. Uphill climbs arenít really a concern but on occasion I wouldnít mind going for ride on my own (again not a high priority) make some friends here and at that time I'll just use lockout.

Iím 6í2Ē with 32 pant inseam 220 + - lbs. Long torso and wingspan.

Bike thoughts are:

- Transition Scout,
    - Older Yeti ASR,
    - Endorphin - 26er as budget restricted,
    - VPP and DW (Maestro) really best for downhill? So, are bikes like Mach 5 or 5.7 or older Intense or SC's in the running?,
    - Iím concerned about Norcoís with the frame breakage,
    - Spitfire but again too much suspension, less pop?,
    - Riot sounds fun if I could find one cheap enough. Maybe one day even get a second set of wheels and put regular 27.5 on for total nimbleness,
    - Is this where Specialized (FSR) and Trek (split pivot) rules the day?

Or do I just bight the bullet and get a low end spec new bike as it's just that much better geometry wise? Obviously the Scout kind of fits that bill but it would be nice to get something with a Pike or Fox 34, 1 x 11, etc. on it.

Alternative suggestions appreciated and yes Iím going to try and figure out how to get free rides on the suggestions. As I potentially canít afford to pay new bike prices or pay for $100 to demo unrelated, updated newer models.

Thank you...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    So I guess a used Kona 134 might be going head to head here with the Scout.

Thunderbolt looks fun but seems to be more XC, good all a rounder like the 5010 vs less DH orientated.

Thoughts???

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    26" Endorphin, I used to ride mine all the time at bike parks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I got a Commencal Meta AM V4.2 shipped to me from CA with the Lyrik front fork. Nice bike. I'm still astounded that I got it for $2500. I got a lot of bike for the money spent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    LaXCarp - Yep, the Endorphin is certainly a contender and I definitely want to try one. Kind of concerned about lack of 26er support though.

jeremy283 - Not sure I need all that travel. That fork looks stout. The META TR V looks like a solid option. The company looks to be creating great family bikes too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Get the scout. You will not find a more fun bike.

edit: didn't see that you were on a budget. In the used game sometimes you can't be choosy. Just keep up with craigslist/pinkbike/fb groups and when you see something you'd be happy with at a price you are willing to pay, do it.

If you are going to buy new, the only FS bikes I'd consider ATM around $1500 are Commencal's Meta TR or meta AM offerings. You may could get a norco fluid at that price from a dealer. At $1500 I'd usually recommend a hardtail, or to save a little more.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride the east VC area quite extensively, mainly Simi and Conejo Valley areas. There's a decent amount of climbing so you probably want a bike that pedals well. Also 1x may not be the best option.

$1500 for a new bike is going to be too much of a compromise unless it's a closeout from past years. I'd focus on getting the best suspension components you possibly can as they are the most costly to upgrade.

Look at online classifieds for the best deal on a used bike. Local prices are for the most part entirely too high. Also look at various FB groups to find deals. Someone was selling their 429 Trail for $2k. A bit higher than your budget but it suits the terrain out here nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DownhillBoogey View Post
    Howdy folks,

Done lots of reading. Thank you MTBR community. Iíve got a young family. We have enjoyed trail riding. Especially the beginner trails at Mammoth, with lift assist last season and general riding around east Ventura county.

Iím basically cruising sweep and our speeds arenít that high of course. Iím thinking FS, 120 to 140mm would be the sweet spot for carving, enjoying bouncing off of little roots, rocks, little jumps while I take care of business. I donít do crazy doubles or big gappers. Uphill climbs arenít really a concern but on occasion I wouldnít mind going for ride on my own (again not a high priority) make some friends here and at that time I'll just use lockout.

Iím 6í2Ē with 32 pant inseam 220 + - lbs. Long torso and wingspan.

Bike thoughts are:

- Transition Scout,
    - Older Yeti ASR,
    - Endorphin - 26er as budget restricted,
    - VPP and DW (Maestro) really best for downhill? So, are bikes like Mach 5 or 5.7 or older Intense or SC's in the running?,
    - Iím concerned about Norcoís with the frame breakage,
    - Spitfire but again too much suspension, less pop?,
    - Riot sounds fun if I could find one cheap enough. Maybe one day even get a second set of wheels and put regular 27.5 on for total nimbleness,
    - Is this where Specialized (FSR) and Trek (split pivot) rules the day?

Or do I just bight the bullet and get a low end spec new bike as it's just that much better geometry wise? Obviously the Scout kind of fits that bill but it would be nice to get something with a Pike or Fox 34, 1 x 11, etc. on it.

Alternative suggestions appreciated and yes Iím going to try and figure out how to get free rides on the suggestions. As I potentially canít afford to pay new bike prices or pay for $100 to demo unrelated, updated newer models.

Thank you...
    Because you are on a budget, I think you should consider Bikes Direct Motobecane Hal5. These are Horst link bikes similar to specialized FSR. They also have some left-over Fuji bikes that fit your budget.

Don't buy a used mountain bike, because aluminum fatigues and because people always ask too much.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mbtr member
    OP- Don't hang too much on 120-140-160mm of travel. Travel is just a variable, and while 7 years ago it was used as a tool to tell you what the bike was like that's not true any more. You slagged the 5010, but the better (pike equipped) 5010s are fkn rad bikes that i'd point down just about anything.

Riots are very nimble. Too nimble for my tastes.

Dual link designs tend to pedal very well while having very tuneable leverage ratios and moderately high brake squat.

I'd be looking hard at the used market, and i wouldn't be afraid of a 26" bike if it had modern geo and a really good fork. Or something like a scout and pony up for the good build- it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    I think you should consider Bikes Direct Motobecane Hal5.
    Compliments to BD; instead of their usual super wacky geometry this bike only suffers from 'moderately wacky' geometry.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.