Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor

Best Spec On A $4000 To $5000 Fs Am Bike?

I would love to hear what anyone thought were the best specs on all mountain full suspension bikes that run $4000 to $5000.

I know everyone has opinions on best brakes; cranks; der; shifters; fork; rr shox; wheels; even cockpit stuff. I would really like to hear about that

Also if anyone thinks they know what the current best deal in a AM FS upper end bike is

thanks

mike

mtbr member
    Why do you ask?

Ant

mtbr member
    trek ex 9, gt force/marathon (more XC though). the best way though is too go round the local shops. between 3 -5 of them they should hold everything for you to test

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Why do you ask?

Ant
    because I want to build the best under $2000 AM FS bike made
    and I think a good place to start is what do people expect to get for $4000 or $5000

I already have located one of the best new 6 inch travel AM frames made

mtbr member
    u want to build a $5000 bike for two grand who may i ask do you have connections with? at that budget your not going to do it, a frame would cost that haha my float rp23 cost $1200 here alone

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    u want to build a $5000 bike for two grand who may i ask do you have connections with? at that budget your not going to do it, a frame would cost that haha my float rp23 cost $1200 here alone

as Mike's signature says, he's a bike web retailer...so he's not building his personal bike, but spec'ing a new model (I presume)

@bikesdirect:
    So far the thread is good IMO...but please keep it "non-spam"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bikes direct having an AM rig? Good idea.
    saweet

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Stop riding that bike until you get some.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This is just silly.

Mike - You are in the industry. You peruse the forums. You see what all the blingy mofos stick on their bikes. You know the names of the $2k+ frame mfgs and know where those forums are, and have probably seen what those people put on the bikes. You are probably familiar with different component mfgs and what they are introducing/hyping.

Do you need it all spelled out for you? Really?

That is why I consider this attention-mongering.

Awesome not Rad
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    This is just silly.

Mike - You are in the industry. You peruse the forums. You see what all the blingy mofos stick on their bikes. You know the names of the $2k+ frame mfgs and know where those forums are, and have probably seen what those people put on the bikes. You are probably familiar with different component mfgs and what they are introducing/hyping.

He wants us to do his job for him... lazy F'n webtailer
    If you cant conduct a competative analysis on your own then you need to get a job at the car wash or clean carpets or something

♥ ς╥33
    He was just asking a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

mtbr member
    Mike,
    If you're taking your company in the right direction, and your bikes are as good as you say they are, why do you resort to these pitiful tactics?

Next, you'll be making telephone calls at dinnertime.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Shouldn't we as consumers be happy that he is asking us what WE want? Instead of thinking himself what he THINKS we want? Give em a break.
    saweet

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Stop riding that bike until you get some.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    Shouldn't we as consumers be happy that he is asking us what WE want? Instead of thinking himself what he THINKS we want? Give em a break.
    Nope. If great customer service is what you are after, then get to know a vendor (LBS or e-LBS). There are shops out there that take the time, get to know YOU (not the AM forum) and will tell you what you will like, not cater to what you want. If you know what you want, why bother - just shop around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thomson or Race Face Atlas (for bars/seatpost/stem)
    Full Shimano XT drivetrain with shadow RD
    Rockshox Pike or Fox 36 depending on travel
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset
    Continental Mountain King 2.4 tires
    Formula Oro K24 brakes, 185mm rotor
    depending on travel, either the Rockshox Monarch 4.2, Fox RP23, or DHX 5.0 if you want something for heavier-hitting stuff. I'd stick with the RP23, or even RP2 would be good if you can get it OEM through Fox for your new line.

also, any good '09 stuff would be a plus. Maybe the m810 Saint crankset, or the Avid Elixir brakes. If available, the new Syncros finishing kit with the grunge graphics would be great attention-getters.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    Thomson or Race Face Atlas (for bars/seatpost/stem)
    Full Shimano XT drivetrain with shadow RD
    Rockshox Pike or Fox 36 depending on travel
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset
    Continental Mountain King 2.4 tires
    Formula Oro K24 brakes, 185mm rotor
    depending on travel, either the Rockshox Monarch 4.2, Fox RP23, or DHX 5.0 if you want something for heavier-hitting stuff. I'd stick with the RP23, or even RP2 would be good if you can get it OEM through Fox for your new line.

also, any good '09 stuff would be a plus. Maybe the m810 Saint crankset, or the Avid Elixir brakes. If available, the new Syncros finishing kit with the grunge graphics would be great attention-getters.
    Thanks
    this is the type of input I am looking for
    my mission is to give people what they want
    and I have found a good way to find out is just ask

we have had a lot of AM comments on X9 and X0 being a good pick
    also Code brakes

most seem to like Fox, so we will probably use that

what about Gravity cockpit stuff?

mtbr member
    Personally i think there is no bad spec for that amount of money.
    I think you can get a Santa Cruz Nomad for that budget, it's a hell of a bike.
    Also, consider a custom build! get yourself a nice frame/fork combo and make your own build.

A Transition Covert would be cool too, a bit on the low end of the budget but it's one hell of a bike none the less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Thanks
    this is the type of input I am looking for
    my mission is to give people what they want
    and I have found a good way to find out is just ask

we have had a lot of AM comments on X9 and X0 being a good pick
    also Code brakes

most seem to like Fox, so we will probably use that

what about Gravity cockpit stuff?

IMO, Gravity cockpit stuff is overkill for true AM. Same with Codes. Good for Freeride and DH, but you can considerably lighten the bike by getting lighter stuff that will still handle the duties of AM. Gravity Lite I guess would be ok. The 4-pot Codes are overkill for sure in my opinion. The Formula K24's will be plenty, and just spec a larger rotor if you are worried. Also consider the Shimano XT or Hayes Stroker. If you go with Fox 36's, make sure you don't spec the low-level R. I would prefer RC2 with some adjustment everytime, it's worth the extra money. X-9 and X-0 are good, but the new XT is just as good, and the shadow Rear derailleur is "THE" thing to have recently. Despite being probably the same performance wise, the xt will outsell the x.9. If you can manage X.0, go with that. you may want to also consider doing what GT is doing with their Force/Sanction lines, and make one light-duty AM, and the other heavier. I think you'll get alot more business that way and not have to compromise on kit as well. Good luck!

btw, anyway you can show us what the frame looks like or tell us its design? I'm not a huge fan of your xc frames, but maybe I'll like this one.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    To answer the original question, for me personally a spec of that value would really have great product in the following areas:

Front Fork, Wheelset, Front & Rear shifters/Derailleur

To me they are the things I would most look at from a build spec perspective as the rest I would likely personalize (such as the saddle and the seatpost) or not be overly fussy as long as it was not totally crap (such as the cassette and cranks).

I also assume that the rear shock would be one of the standard offerings and I would either just stay with it until I got annoyed enough to replace it with a Pushed version.

So for me a $5K build kit for AM would have to have something like these in those three areas (or an equivalent in performance)

Fork: Lyrik 160mm U-Turn (obviously with 20mm thru)
    Wheelset: Hadley 32 with Mavic 819 rims
    Gears: SRAM x.0 shifters, X.9 derailleurs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    . . .

Exactly. The first post seemed like a corny, not-so-sincere way to market his product.

Then again, it's not like he's being dishonest.

Ant

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I would love to hear what anyone thought were the best specs on all mountain full suspension bikes that run $4000 to $5000.

I know everyone has opinions on best brakes; cranks; der; shifters; fork; rr shox; wheels; even cockpit stuff. I would really like to hear about that

Also if anyone thinks they know what the current best deal in a AM FS upper end bike is

thanks

mike
    This sounds like a bad market research idea to me.

I think a better question is how I would spec a $2000 bike. You know, what my priorities are.

What I would like to see in a $2000 bike is as good a frame and fork as possible. Deore level components are good enough for everything else. BB5/7's would be nice, too.

So many times when I look at bikes in that price range, I would gladly downgrade almost anything else for a better frame, shock, of fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mike,

Thanks for asking. I do not understand why some peeps get pissed on these forums??

IMHO The cost of a decent all mountain rig is getting way outta hand, $4000 to $5000 for a top of line Nomad or RFX?? A bit more and you could buy a Honda or Yamaha 450 moto!!

I have been riding and breakin shiat for 15 years and I find the best value (perfomance, quality and toughness) is in the XT and X9 level componets. All fork makers have had their problems but Rock Shox Pike/Lyrik and Fox 36 and 32's seem to be fairly reliable of late. Also good performance from these brands, sorry Marz the ATA thing! and Answer has lost its way.

Race Face Dues and Atlas are great cockpit/drivetrain components. Truvative Stylo great Crank for the $$. Juicys are great because of the Trialign calipers- really easy to install/ maintain.

Frames, should they really cost $2000?? I know the Tawain Manf. charge to build quality frames is about 25% of the frame cost. Add the shock and the distributer takes his cut then the LBS takes a cut. I guess thats how you get $2K+ . With the US guys it is the same or higher!! see the price increase for Turner!, Check out Knolly, Ventana etc sexy frames @ $2K to $2.5 K. Interbike was fun the bling is really cool but the $$$.

I do not see how to make a top end $2K bike feesible without comprimising on parts or cutting someone out of the loop or both.

Maybe a partnership with SRAM and use all of their stuff for the buildkit and have the Tawaiin guys build you a frame or work with a good brand. Hmmm I could see a nice $2,500 to $3,000 AM rig. $2K is cuttin it close unless you start using cheezier stuff. Deore, X7, low end forks heavy wheels, house brands etc.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    Mike,

Thanks for asking. I do not understand why some peeps get pissed on these forums??

IMHO The cost of a decent all mountain rig is getting way outta hand, $4000 to $5000 for a top of line Nomad or RFX?? A bit more and you could buy a Honda or Yamaha 450 moto!!

I have been riding and breakin shiat for 15 years and I find the best value (perfomance, quality and toughness) is in the XT and X9 level componets. All fork makers have had their problems but Rock Shox Pike/Lyrik and Fox 36 and 32's seem to be fairly reliable of late. Also good performance from these brands, sorry Marz the ATA thing! and Answer has lost its way.

Race Face Dues and Atlas are great cockpit/drivetrain components. Truvative Stylo great Crank for the $$. Juicys are great because of the Trialign calipers- really easy to install/ maintain.

Frames, should they really cost $2000?? I know the Tawain Manf. charge to build quality frames is about 25% of the frame cost. Add the shock and the distributer takes his cut then the LBS takes a cut. I guess thats how you get $2K+ . With the US guys it is the same or higher!! see the price increase for Turner!, Check out Knolly, Ventana etc sexy frames @ $2K to $2.5 K. Interbike was fun the bling is really cool but the $$$.

I do not see how to make a top end $2K bike feesible without comprimising on parts or cutting someone out of the loop or both.

Maybe a partnership with SRAM and use all of their stuff for the buildkit and have the Tawaiin guys build you a frame or work with a good brand. Hmmm I could see a nice $2,500 to $3,000 AM rig. $2K is cuttin it close unless you start using cheezier stuff. Deore, X7, low end forks heavy wheels, house brands etc.

Good luck!
    I totally agree, there are bikes that have ridiculous price tags and will do the exact same thing as cheaper bikes. It all depends on the kind of riding you do, because breaking a 2000 dollar frame will hurt a lot more than breaking a 500 dollar frame. Price doesn't mean things have a better or worse quality/durability (unless off course you buy a bike that you KNOW will be dangerous to use lol)

Off course there are awesome bikes for 2500-3000 bucks or even less, . Other than that it's cool. I ride a Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0 (Best bike i've owned) and it only set me back 1900$. Fox suspension all around, Deore LX/XT drivetrain, easton cockpit, mavic wheels....
    Now while that isn't XTR or X-O, it works great and has taken a beating.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    $2K is cuttin it close unless you start using cheezier stuff. Deore, X7,

Good luck!
    Deore and x7, while not at all sexy, are TOTALLY mountain worthy. Heavier? Yes. Cheezy? Hardly. We are not talking Alivio here.

MTB SOCAL
    If I were building a new 6" travel AM rig, I would start with a top-notch frame. There are several choices - Ellsworth Moment, Titus El Guapo, Turner RFX, etc. I would definitely run a FOX 36 or RS Lyric fork and a FOX DHX Air or Coil for the rear suspension. SRAM XO trigger shifters and SRAM XO derailleurs front and back would handle shifting duties. Thomson is okay for stem and seatpost. I would use Hope Mono Mini's or Formula Oro Puro for brakes and Chris King for headset. I would probably run 08 XTR for the crankset. Any high-end, reasonably light seat would do. I would either have a Chris King / Mavic 819 wheelset or an Industry Nine All Mountain wheelset. Top it off with a set of Kenda or Maxxis rubber - either tubes or tubeless.

Obviously, a lot of the zoot parts are not feasible for a $2000 build. I would definitely look at some of the nice Taiwan frames such as the Sette Flite Am frame sold thru pricepoint.com for $499 (I'm sure as a vendor you can pick similar frames up for a fraction of the cost). You can probably get by with a lower line fork with less adjustability, but I would stick with Fox or RS. Truvativ and Race Face are good sources for inexpensive, but decent cranksets, stems, bars, seatposts, etc. A cheaper headset (like Cane Creek or Race Face) should suffice. As for derailleurs, you are probably stuck with X7/X9 or LX/XT level stuff, which isn't bad. All-in-all, you will have a very rideable 6in bike. It'll probably be a 2-3 lbs heavier than a high zoot build, but otherwise, your buyers should be very happy.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    another bit of eye candy, if you can swing it, is an adjustable seatpost such as the Crank Brothers Joplin or Gravity Dropper. Honestly, it would probably be worth in a cut in drivetrain just to get one of those on there. Will sell like hotcakes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast