Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 62
  1. #1
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    930

    Best Spec On A $4000 To $5000 Fs Am Bike?

    I would love to hear what anyone thought were the best specs on all mountain full suspension bikes that run $4000 to $5000.

    I know everyone has opinions on best brakes; cranks; der; shifters; fork; rr shox; wheels; even cockpit stuff. I would really like to hear about that

    Also if anyone thinks they know what the current best deal in a AM FS upper end bike is

    thanks

    mike

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,980
    Why do you ask?

    Ant

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liam2051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    849
    trek ex 9, gt force/marathon (more XC though). the best way though is too go round the local shops. between 3 -5 of them they should hold everything for you to test

  4. #4
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Why do you ask?

    Ant
    because I want to build the best under $2000 AM FS bike made
    and I think a good place to start is what do people expect to get for $4000 or $5000

    I already have located one of the best new 6 inch travel AM frames made

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liam2051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    849
    u want to build a $5000 bike for two grand who may i ask do you have connections with? at that budget your not going to do it, a frame would cost that haha my float rp23 cost $1200 here alone

  6. #6
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,801
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    u want to build a $5000 bike for two grand who may i ask do you have connections with? at that budget your not going to do it, a frame would cost that haha my float rp23 cost $1200 here alone

    as Mike's signature says, he's a bike web retailer...so he's not building his personal bike, but spec'ing a new model (I presume)

    @bikesdirect:
    So far the thread is good IMO...but please keep it "non-spam"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    720
    Bikes direct having an AM rig? Good idea.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

    "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,090
    This is just silly.

    Mike - You are in the industry. You peruse the forums. You see what all the blingy mofos stick on their bikes. You know the names of the $2k+ frame mfgs and know where those forums are, and have probably seen what those people put on the bikes. You are probably familiar with different component mfgs and what they are introducing/hyping.

    Do you need it all spelled out for you? Really?

    That is why I consider this attention-mongering.

  9. #9
    Awesome not Rad
    Reputation: farmerjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    This is just silly.

    Mike - You are in the industry. You peruse the forums. You see what all the blingy mofos stick on their bikes. You know the names of the $2k+ frame mfgs and know where those forums are, and have probably seen what those people put on the bikes. You are probably familiar with different component mfgs and what they are introducing/hyping.

    Do you need it all spelled out for you? Really?

    That is why I consider this attention-mongering.

    He wants us to do his job for him... lazy F'n webtailer
    If you cant conduct a competative analysis on your own then you need to get a job at the car wash or clean carpets or something

  10. #10
    ♥ ς╥33£
    Reputation: longcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    488
    He was just asking a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Noobi-Wan Kenobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    491
    Mike,
    If you're taking your company in the right direction, and your bikes are as good as you say they are, why do you resort to these pitiful tactics?

    Next, you'll be making telephone calls at dinnertime.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    720
    Shouldn't we as consumers be happy that he is asking us what WE want? Instead of thinking himself what he THINKS we want? Give em a break.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

    "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,090
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    Shouldn't we as consumers be happy that he is asking us what WE want? Instead of thinking himself what he THINKS we want? Give em a break.
    Nope. If great customer service is what you are after, then get to know a vendor (LBS or e-LBS). There are shops out there that take the time, get to know YOU (not the AM forum) and will tell you what you will like, not cater to what you want. If you know what you want, why bother - just shop around.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,579
    Thomson or Race Face Atlas (for bars/seatpost/stem)
    Full Shimano XT drivetrain with shadow RD
    Rockshox Pike or Fox 36 depending on travel
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset
    Continental Mountain King 2.4 tires
    Formula Oro K24 brakes, 185mm rotor
    depending on travel, either the Rockshox Monarch 4.2, Fox RP23, or DHX 5.0 if you want something for heavier-hitting stuff. I'd stick with the RP23, or even RP2 would be good if you can get it OEM through Fox for your new line.

    also, any good '09 stuff would be a plus. Maybe the m810 Saint crankset, or the Avid Elixir brakes. If available, the new Syncros finishing kit with the grunge graphics would be great attention-getters.

  15. #15
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    Thomson or Race Face Atlas (for bars/seatpost/stem)
    Full Shimano XT drivetrain with shadow RD
    Rockshox Pike or Fox 36 depending on travel
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset
    Continental Mountain King 2.4 tires
    Formula Oro K24 brakes, 185mm rotor
    depending on travel, either the Rockshox Monarch 4.2, Fox RP23, or DHX 5.0 if you want something for heavier-hitting stuff. I'd stick with the RP23, or even RP2 would be good if you can get it OEM through Fox for your new line.

    also, any good '09 stuff would be a plus. Maybe the m810 Saint crankset, or the Avid Elixir brakes. If available, the new Syncros finishing kit with the grunge graphics would be great attention-getters.
    Thanks
    this is the type of input I am looking for
    my mission is to give people what they want
    and I have found a good way to find out is just ask

    we have had a lot of AM comments on X9 and X0 being a good pick
    also Code brakes

    most seem to like Fox, so we will probably use that


    what about Gravity cockpit stuff?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,537
    Personally i think there is no bad spec for that amount of money.
    I think you can get a Santa Cruz Nomad for that budget, it's a hell of a bike.
    Also, consider a custom build! get yourself a nice frame/fork combo and make your own build.


    A Transition Covert would be cool too, a bit on the low end of the budget but it's one hell of a bike none the less.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Thanks
    this is the type of input I am looking for
    my mission is to give people what they want
    and I have found a good way to find out is just ask

    we have had a lot of AM comments on X9 and X0 being a good pick
    also Code brakes

    most seem to like Fox, so we will probably use that


    what about Gravity cockpit stuff?

    IMO, Gravity cockpit stuff is overkill for true AM. Same with Codes. Good for Freeride and DH, but you can considerably lighten the bike by getting lighter stuff that will still handle the duties of AM. Gravity Lite I guess would be ok. The 4-pot Codes are overkill for sure in my opinion. The Formula K24's will be plenty, and just spec a larger rotor if you are worried. Also consider the Shimano XT or Hayes Stroker. If you go with Fox 36's, make sure you don't spec the low-level R. I would prefer RC2 with some adjustment everytime, it's worth the extra money. X-9 and X-0 are good, but the new XT is just as good, and the shadow Rear derailleur is "THE" thing to have recently. Despite being probably the same performance wise, the xt will outsell the x.9. If you can manage X.0, go with that. you may want to also consider doing what GT is doing with their Force/Sanction lines, and make one light-duty AM, and the other heavier. I think you'll get alot more business that way and not have to compromise on kit as well. Good luck!




    btw, anyway you can show us what the frame looks like or tell us its design? I'm not a huge fan of your xc frames, but maybe I'll like this one.

  18. #18
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    To answer the original question, for me personally a spec of that value would really have great product in the following areas:

    Front Fork, Wheelset, Front & Rear shifters/Derailleur

    To me they are the things I would most look at from a build spec perspective as the rest I would likely personalize (such as the saddle and the seatpost) or not be overly fussy as long as it was not totally crap (such as the cassette and cranks).

    I also assume that the rear shock would be one of the standard offerings and I would either just stay with it until I got annoyed enough to replace it with a Pushed version.

    So for me a $5K build kit for AM would have to have something like these in those three areas (or an equivalent in performance)

    Fork: Lyrik 160mm U-Turn (obviously with 20mm thru)
    Wheelset: Hadley 32 with Mavic 819 rims
    Gears: SRAM x.0 shifters, X.9 derailleurs

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    . . .

    Do you need it all spelled out for you? Really?

    That is why I consider this attention-mongering.
    Exactly. The first post seemed like a corny, not-so-sincere way to market his product.

    Then again, it's not like he's being dishonest.

    Ant

  20. #20
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,405
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I would love to hear what anyone thought were the best specs on all mountain full suspension bikes that run $4000 to $5000.

    I know everyone has opinions on best brakes; cranks; der; shifters; fork; rr shox; wheels; even cockpit stuff. I would really like to hear about that

    Also if anyone thinks they know what the current best deal in a AM FS upper end bike is

    thanks

    mike
    This sounds like a bad market research idea to me.

    I think a better question is how I would spec a $2000 bike. You know, what my priorities are.

    What I would like to see in a $2000 bike is as good a frame and fork as possible. Deore level components are good enough for everything else. BB5/7's would be nice, too.

    So many times when I look at bikes in that price range, I would gladly downgrade almost anything else for a better frame, shock, of fork.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    432
    Mike,

    Thanks for asking. I do not understand why some peeps get pissed on these forums??

    IMHO The cost of a decent all mountain rig is getting way outta hand, $4000 to $5000 for a top of line Nomad or RFX?? A bit more and you could buy a Honda or Yamaha 450 moto!!

    I have been riding and breakin shiat for 15 years and I find the best value (perfomance, quality and toughness) is in the XT and X9 level componets. All fork makers have had their problems but Rock Shox Pike/Lyrik and Fox 36 and 32's seem to be fairly reliable of late. Also good performance from these brands, sorry Marz the ATA thing! and Answer has lost its way.

    Race Face Dues and Atlas are great cockpit/drivetrain components. Truvative Stylo great Crank for the $$. Juicys are great because of the Trialign calipers- really easy to install/ maintain.

    Frames, should they really cost $2000?? I know the Tawain Manf. charge to build quality frames is about 25% of the frame cost. Add the shock and the distributer takes his cut then the LBS takes a cut. I guess thats how you get $2K+ . With the US guys it is the same or higher!! see the price increase for Turner!, Check out Knolly, Ventana etc sexy frames @ $2K to $2.5 K. Interbike was fun the bling is really cool but the $$$.

    I do not see how to make a top end $2K bike feesible without comprimising on parts or cutting someone out of the loop or both.

    Maybe a partnership with SRAM and use all of their stuff for the buildkit and have the Tawaiin guys build you a frame or work with a good brand. Hmmm I could see a nice $2,500 to $3,000 AM rig. $2K is cuttin it close unless you start using cheezier stuff. Deore, X7, low end forks heavy wheels, house brands etc.

    Good luck!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    Mike,

    Thanks for asking. I do not understand why some peeps get pissed on these forums??

    IMHO The cost of a decent all mountain rig is getting way outta hand, $4000 to $5000 for a top of line Nomad or RFX?? A bit more and you could buy a Honda or Yamaha 450 moto!!

    I have been riding and breakin shiat for 15 years and I find the best value (perfomance, quality and toughness) is in the XT and X9 level componets. All fork makers have had their problems but Rock Shox Pike/Lyrik and Fox 36 and 32's seem to be fairly reliable of late. Also good performance from these brands, sorry Marz the ATA thing! and Answer has lost its way.

    Race Face Dues and Atlas are great cockpit/drivetrain components. Truvative Stylo great Crank for the $$. Juicys are great because of the Trialign calipers- really easy to install/ maintain.

    Frames, should they really cost $2000?? I know the Tawain Manf. charge to build quality frames is about 25% of the frame cost. Add the shock and the distributer takes his cut then the LBS takes a cut. I guess thats how you get $2K+ . With the US guys it is the same or higher!! see the price increase for Turner!, Check out Knolly, Ventana etc sexy frames @ $2K to $2.5 K. Interbike was fun the bling is really cool but the $$$.

    I do not see how to make a top end $2K bike feesible without comprimising on parts or cutting someone out of the loop or both.

    Maybe a partnership with SRAM and use all of their stuff for the buildkit and have the Tawaiin guys build you a frame or work with a good brand. Hmmm I could see a nice $2,500 to $3,000 AM rig. $2K is cuttin it close unless you start using cheezier stuff. Deore, X7, low end forks heavy wheels, house brands etc.

    Good luck!
    I totally agree, there are bikes that have ridiculous price tags and will do the exact same thing as cheaper bikes. It all depends on the kind of riding you do, because breaking a 2000 dollar frame will hurt a lot more than breaking a 500 dollar frame. Price doesn't mean things have a better or worse quality/durability (unless off course you buy a bike that you KNOW will be dangerous to use lol)

    Off course there are awesome bikes for 2500-3000 bucks or even less, . Other than that it's cool. I ride a Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0 (Best bike i've owned) and it only set me back 1900$. Fox suspension all around, Deore LX/XT drivetrain, easton cockpit, mavic wheels....
    Now while that isn't XTR or X-O, it works great and has taken a beating.

  23. #23
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,405
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    $2K is cuttin it close unless you start using cheezier stuff. Deore, X7,

    Good luck!
    Deore and x7, while not at all sexy, are TOTALLY mountain worthy. Heavier? Yes. Cheezy? Hardly. We are not talking Alivio here.

  24. #24
    MTB SOCAL
    Reputation: yangpei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,353
    If I were building a new 6" travel AM rig, I would start with a top-notch frame. There are several choices - Ellsworth Moment, Titus El Guapo, Turner RFX, etc. I would definitely run a FOX 36 or RS Lyric fork and a FOX DHX Air or Coil for the rear suspension. SRAM XO trigger shifters and SRAM XO derailleurs front and back would handle shifting duties. Thomson is okay for stem and seatpost. I would use Hope Mono Mini's or Formula Oro Puro for brakes and Chris King for headset. I would probably run 08 XTR for the crankset. Any high-end, reasonably light seat would do. I would either have a Chris King / Mavic 819 wheelset or an Industry Nine All Mountain wheelset. Top it off with a set of Kenda or Maxxis rubber - either tubes or tubeless.

    Obviously, a lot of the zoot parts are not feasible for a $2000 build. I would definitely look at some of the nice Taiwan frames such as the Sette Flite Am frame sold thru pricepoint.com for $499 (I'm sure as a vendor you can pick similar frames up for a fraction of the cost). You can probably get by with a lower line fork with less adjustability, but I would stick with Fox or RS. Truvativ and Race Face are good sources for inexpensive, but decent cranksets, stems, bars, seatposts, etc. A cheaper headset (like Cane Creek or Race Face) should suffice. As for derailleurs, you are probably stuck with X7/X9 or LX/XT level stuff, which isn't bad. All-in-all, you will have a very rideable 6in bike. It'll probably be a 2-3 lbs heavier than a high zoot build, but otherwise, your buyers should be very happy.
    Kokopelli Racing

    "Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,579
    another bit of eye candy, if you can swing it, is an adjustable seatpost such as the Crank Brothers Joplin or Gravity Dropper. Honestly, it would probably be worth in a cut in drivetrain just to get one of those on there. Will sell like hotcakes.

  26. #26
    Huh?
    Reputation: airs0ft3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344
    If I can get a Sram X.0 equipped bike for under 3K with good everything, then yes.

    Shimano 2008 XT brakes or later
    Sram X.0 Everything
    Rock Shox Lyrik
    Manitou Swinger Air 4-way

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,653

    Different question...

    As an LBS, I prefer to ask, "Why..." I'm not being sarcastic here, but I see a lot of people ask for some things I've never thought of in particular configurations, and have to ask the obvious, and serious, question of, "Why do you want these particular items?" Sometimes I even do it with my favorite components just to see if the customer knows, or if its simply what he's heard. If I get a blank stare, or an answer based upon a web forum, well, I'll put that in the back of my mind and someday check it out myself, at the same time attempt to educate just a bit and pass on whatever limited knowledge we have. But sometimes, its the customer who knows more of the latest and greatest, and that can be a good thing.

    The trick is to be open minded, not judgmental, and to look at it as if you are learning the why, not just the what, because its the builder's job (in my opinion), to make sure they know what they are getting and its truly going to do the job the customer thinks it is. No sense in putting everything someone asks for, no matter how silly it may seem, on a frame, and having them complain weeks later that they didn't get what they expected.

    We like to be part of the selection process as much as building process, and don't get offended when someone brings an idea that we never heard of, that works, to our attention.

  28. #28
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,061

    here you go . . . .

    Frame: 08 Turner RFX
    Shock: RP23
    Fork: 08 Fox 36 TALAS
    Headset: FSA PIG DH
    Stem: Gravity Gap 75mm x 6 deg rise
    Bar: Gravity Lite 40mm rise
    Grips: Oury lock on
    Brakes: Formula MEGA 200mm front/180mm rear
    Cranks: Gravity Lite 175mm 22/34/bash
    Shifters: X9 trigger
    Rear Der: X9 med cage
    Front Der: X9, Blackspire Stinger chainguide
    Chain: PC 990
    Cassette: PG 990 11-34
    Pedals: Wellgo mg-1
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Seatpost Collar: Hope QR
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Pro
    Hubs Hadley 32h
    Spokes DT Swiss Comps
    Rims WTB LaserDisk FR
    Tires: WTB Stout
    Build Weight: 32.7 lbs. Would prob. retail for close to 5K, but I'm paying less.

    I'll have it finished once the wheels arrive.

    You can see more builds like this one over on the Turner forum, or the Ventana Forum, or the SC forum.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    As an LBS, I prefer to ask, "Why..." I'm not being sarcastic here, but I see a lot of people ask for some things I've never thought of in particular configurations, and have to ask the obvious, and serious, question of, "Why do you want these particular items?" Sometimes I even do it with my favorite components just to see if the customer knows, or if its simply what he's heard. If I get a blank stare, or an answer based upon a web forum, well, I'll put that in the back of my mind and someday check it out myself, at the same time attempt to educate just a bit and pass on whatever limited knowledge we have. But sometimes, its the customer who knows more of the latest and greatest, and that can be a good thing.

    The trick is to be open minded, not judgmental, and to look at it as if you are learning the why, not just the what, because its the builder's job (in my opinion), to make sure they know what they are getting and its truly going to do the job the customer thinks it is. No sense in putting everything someone asks for, no matter how silly it may seem, on a frame, and having them complain weeks later that they didn't get what they expected.

    We like to be part of the selection process as much as building process, and don't get offended when someone brings an idea that we never heard of, that works, to our attention.
    I won't go into great detail but I'll humor you.

    Seat Post: Gravity Dropper (love them and prefer the tactile click to the cable of the Joplin)
    Wheels: some sort of Maviks or Chris King(please explain to me why so many people swear by different wheels
    Fork: have to go with a fox 36 (everyone gets into the new stuff coming out from different companies but in the end it always seems fox is there with a quality product that doesn't break down; in a fork the most important thing to me is reliability, not how much "cushier" it feels than the next)
    Shock: fox (same as above just an rp23; why do I need better like dhx 5 air; is there really an advantage)
    Brakes: Hayes Strokers or Shimano XTs ( tried both of these brakes and thought they were fine; don't really see the need for anything like Avid Codes but thats just me)
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT shadow or X9 ( I don't understand the phenomena of people getting XTR and X0; doesn't the R in XTR just stand for Race; I am of the understanding that XT is just like XTR and X9 is just like X0 but the latters are just lighter)

    Thats it, those are my reasons for what I would get. I try to stay practical, but I'm not very educated in componentry. If you think some of my ideas are illogical tell me and GIVE ME A REASON.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,653

    no problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by dosh142
    I won't go into great detail but I'll humor you.

    Seat Post: Gravity Dropper (love them and prefer the tactile click to the cable of the Joplin)
    Wheels: some sort of Maviks or Chris King(please explain to me why so many people swear by different wheels
    Fork: have to go with a fox 36 (everyone gets into the new stuff coming out from different companies but in the end it always seems fox is there with a quality product that doesn't break down; in a fork the most important thing to me is reliability, not how much "cushier" it feels than the next)
    Shock: fox (same as above just an rp23; why do I need better like dhx 5 air; is there really an advantage)
    Brakes: Hayes Strokers or Shimano XTs ( tried both of these brakes and thought they were fine; don't really see the need for anything like Avid Codes but thats just me)
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT shadow or X9 ( I don't understand the phenomena of people getting XTR and X0; doesn't the R in XTR just stand for Race; I am of the understanding that XT is just like XTR and X9 is just like X0 but the latters are just lighter)

    Thats it, those are my reasons for what I would get. I try to stay practical, but I'm not very educated in componentry. If you think some of my ideas are illogical tell me and GIVE ME A REASON.
    All as good a reason as any. As for X.9 and XT, I tend to agree with you there. I'm also a big fan of King, but they do require a bit more maintenance and know how to adjust the hubs and make sure they stay tight.

  31. #31
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,099

    For $4K, this is the bike you should buy

    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I would love to hear what anyone thought were the best specs on all mountain full suspension bikes that run $4000 to $5000.
    For $4K, this is the bike you should buy -LINK-

    It's super custom, super worked.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liam2051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    849
    if US then id want at the least X0 rear and triggers X9 frnt. rp23 rear shock fox front (talas) carbon bars, possibly carbon crank. on possibly an ibis frame with a nice set of crank bros MTB wheels.....hell why not go a set of mavic slr's.....(starts drooling)

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snobrder5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    785
    well since BD is partial to RockShox on all their other bikes, i say go Pike, or Lyric for the front fork...20mm axle all the way....you know what would be good? you could even do a coil front fork option, and actually SELL the different weight coils for your customers...or ask how much the rider weighs, and provide them with the proper coil to start with....but that's prob just wishful thinking.....XT for the drivetrain (and not just an XT rear derailleur and call it an "xt level bike")...i mean EVERYTHING...BRAKES, SHIFTERS, CRANKS, CASSETTE, FRONT DERAILLEUR....the whole thing....you could even use the new group that shimano is coming out with....SLX i think it is....use that for the shifters or FD....not the stuff that REALLY matters like the crankset and brakes....make sure to spec a 90mm stem or shorter....make a longer than normal top tube, so you can spec a shorter them....hardly anyone runs 110mm stems in the AM arena anymore...and please no more of the 6.5" i2i rear shock....run a standard size, 7.5x2", or a 7.875x2.25 or something like that....a 1.5" rear stroke makes for a horrible leverage ratio when you're trying to pump out maximum rear wheel travel.....other than that, just make sure the frame is solid...please don't go to internal or internal integrated headsets...external is what we want....doesn't have to be chris king, just a good cane creek or raceface....you have to run 31.8mm bars/stems too....oversize is where it's at...make a provision for full length cable housings...like my Santa cruz has a hole through each cable stop that you run a zip tie through to hold your cable housing...kinda nice.....the only other thing i can suggest, is this.....if the cost of bike manufacturing is going up like you always say it is, and it's going to cost more to sell bikes, then why not raise the price 10 bucks more per bike, and get a phone line installed in your office, and a few people to answer your phones...your bikes are nice, but the general feeling throughout is that BD is VERY hard to get a hold of when you need service....and some people dont WANT to use email all the time...pony up the dough, and get a phone line for tech questions....also, re do your website and start selling bearing kits for your bikes...that was one thing i HATED when i had a moto, is that IF my bearings ever went out, i didn't have a place to GET bearings for the bike....so i went to Santa Cruz who still sells parts for their older models on their website...big selling point there my friend....good luck, and hopefully this helps...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snobrder5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    For $4K, this is the bike you should buy -LINK-

    It's super custom, super worked.

    wow....just wow.....and the shipping is only 12 bucks in a Flat Rate Shipping box!!!! love to see him get that whole bike in there...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snobrder5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    haha my float rp23 cost $1200 here alone
    how the HELL are you paying $1200 for an rp23!!!??? that's like $400 MAX, and at that price you deserve to get shot if you pay that.....

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,090
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrder5
    how the HELL are you paying $1200 for an rp23!!!??? that's like $400 MAX, and at that price you deserve to get shot if you pay that.....
    I bet he was talking about his fork and mixxxed it up.

    This thread is still

  37. #37
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,941
    at the 4-5k price point, the components better be awesome and appropriate for the build. At that price i'd be more concerned about other stuff; small scale locally built frame with unique features (full length cable routing, adj chainstays, adj HTA, suuuuper stiff, innovative suspension design), really amazing CS, really well thought out frame design, technology that is unique to that bike (lefty, flexing CF chainstays, monolink, the BRAIN, etc), pivots that are durable, reliable, and easy to service, no cost cutting measures anywhere.

    I may be way off base, but those are the things you sacrifice by shopping BD. Even if you pull it off and produce something amazing, i would still be wary. Not to say i think you run a bad business in the least.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.

  38. #38
    MTB SOCAL
    Reputation: yangpei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm always wary of anything that costs less. That's not to say I like to overpay for stuff. I like to have the nicest parts on my bike and I like to ride a bike that not everyone has. Once I decide what I want - say an Ellsworth Oracle or an IF Tungsten Electrode, I will look around for the best price. But, if I go to a store to shop, I always avoid the sale rack. If something's on sale, there must be a reason. So, I guess I'm not your target consumer because I'd rather pay $4000-5000 for an Ellsworth or Pivot or Ibis, rather than a $2000 almost-as-good bike.

    Having said that, I have referred dozens of people to bikesdirect.com. Anytime one of my friends or colleagues is looking for a bike, I send them your way. You have some of the best prices on bikes - both road and mountain. Keep up the good work.
    Kokopelli Racing

    "Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

  39. #39
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,693
    Sunline V1 AM stem. 50mm-65mm-80mm options.
    Sunline V2 bars in 50mm rise.
    Good lock on grips such as the lizard skin north shore or peatys
    20mm TA is a must regardless of what fork. Pike, or Lyric etc
    DHX Coil or Cane Creek double barrel or air option of RP2 or 23
    Gravity dropper seat post, or regular Thompson options
    Sunline V1 saddle, the white one is sick
    Hayes Stroker Carbon with 7-8" up front and 6-7 in rear
    I prefer Sram so I'd say X9 or X0 shifters with X9 front and rear D medium cage. The X0 shifters would look sick with the carbon Hayes levers.
    XT cranks (or comprable) with 22-34-bash option
    PG990 cassette with PC 991 chain (non hollow pin)
    as for wheels there are so many choices. Maybe Mavic 823 laced to hope hubs. Or Sun Single Tracks. Something that is sturdy and can handle the abuse.
    Kenda Nevegals 2.35's F/R

    For a shimano option you could do XT all around shadow rear.

    BTW, I don't see anything wrong with this post. Mike is not trying to hide anything and it is cool with me that he wants to know what his customers want on a bike. If you don't like it, then don't post.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  40. #40
    Huh?
    Reputation: airs0ft3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344
    Wheels: Spinergy Xyclone Enduros... PLEASE

  41. #41
    got the dhr...
    Reputation: luseboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    425
    Ok. Here's an Idea similar to the build I'm coming up with

    Frame- cannondale prophet
    Fork- Rock shox pike
    Shock- Manitou Evolver isx-6
    Wheels- Dt-swiss E-2200
    Crank- Sram gxp W/ e-13 bashgaurd
    Drivetrain- X-9 or XT shadow W/trigger shifters
    Brakes- Shimano XT or Hone
    Stem- FSA gravity light 50mm
    Bars- FSA gravity Light
    Pedals- Crank Bro's mallet
    Seat- Spank starblast
    Tires- Kenda nevegal 2.35 rear, kenda blue-groove 2.5
    Grips- Wtb 4-front lock-on
    Extras- Blackspire stinger chainguide

  42. #42
    Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Reputation: m0ngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    627
    i'm currently building-up a Foes FXR 2:1 to replace my Heckler AM bike.

    03 Santa Cruz Heckler specs (06 rebuild):
    Rear Shock - Fox DHX 5.0
    Forks - 06 Fox 36 Talas RC2
    Cranks - Shimano XTR
    Pedals - Shimano DX SPD
    Headset - Chris King
    Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    Brakes - Avid Juicy 7
    Front Deraileur - Shimano XT
    Rear Deraileur - SRAM X.0
    Cassette - SRAM X.9
    Shifters - SRAM X.0 Gripshift
    Chain - SRAM X.9
    Bars - Azonic Double Wall
    Grips - SRAM
    Stem - Thomson Elite
    Front Wheel - Hope Bulb / DT Double Butted / DT Swiss EX5.1D
    Rear Wheel - Hope Pro2 / DT Double Butted / DT Swiss EX5.1D
    Seat - Selle Italia

    the SRAM/Avid combo offered a great ride, and was not so much low maintainence as NO maintainence, but i'm keen to try the new XTR. previous XTR shifter/deraileur combo's i've had (M952 and older) were always smooth, with their proprietary "shlick, shlick", though quite susceptible to cable wear/stretching. SRAM X.0's 1:1 actuation ratio appears more durable, remaining accurate over time. the 06 36 Talas were dissapointing junk, i was NEVER happy wif 'em! Fox are all hype - Zocchi's are da shizzle.

    06 Foes FXR 2:1 specs (08 rebuild):
    Rear Shock - Curnutt w/400lbs Ti spring
    Forks - Marzocchi 55 ETA
    Cranks - Shimano XT
    Pedals - Shimano DX SPD
    Headset - Chris King
    Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    Brakes - Shimano XT
    Front Deraileur - Shimano XT
    Rear Deraileur - Shimano XTR Shadow
    Cassette - Shimano XTR
    Shifters - Shimano XTR
    Chain - Shimano XTR
    Bars - Ritchy Carbon Rizer
    Grips - ODI Ruffian
    Stem - Thomson Elite
    Front Wheel - Hope Pro2/ DT Double Butted / DT Swiss EX5.1D
    Rear Wheel - Hope Pro2 / DT Double Butted / DT Swiss EX5.1D
    Seat - SDG Bel-Air w/Ti rails

    hope this helps. can't believe the stupid comments from noobs.

    good luck
    Last edited by m0ngy; 05-10-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

  43. #43
    Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Reputation: m0ngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    627
    LOL that's hilarious, what a d!ck...
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

  44. #44
    Is dang happy!
    Reputation: Mr. Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,205

    Sex up the logo first.

    Motobecane has been around long enough now to get a less generic logo.
    Maybe a border around the letters or even a French font.

    I think the brand is known for having budget lite builds so sticking with that would make sense, a decent frame that can take 2.5 tires and 4'-5' drops without macking up the bushings would be better than some Thompson eye candy or Fox $hox.

    A Pike air would be a good start and the new ones may get a bump in travel so that would work for me.
    Last edited by Mr. Doom; 05-11-2008 at 08:50 AM.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: matt1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    146
    mmm
    Last edited by matt1976; 05-10-2008 at 11:43 AM.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10

    $2000...........:) I'll take 2.

    Ellsworth moment frame with DHX 5.0 air shock
    Fox 36 Talas RC2 fork
    Mavic DeeMax Wheelset rims
    Chris King No Threadset headset
    Shimano XT Disc Brake
    Thompson Elite seat post
    WTB Laser V saddle with titanium rails
    Shimano XT rear derailleur
    Shimano XT shifters
    Shimano XT front derailleur
    Shimano XT chain
    Shimano XT cassette
    Shimano HONE crank set
    Easton EC70 Carbon Riser Bar
    Oury lock-on grips
    Thompson Elite X4 Stem
    Continental Mountain King 2.4 SuperSonic Tires

  47. #47
    Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Reputation: m0ngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    627
    goddamn those motobecane bikes are ugly as sin!

    "Bicycling Magazine selected the Fantom Elite DS as one of the top three Editors Choice (in category) ('04) "

    great, a magazine editor liked the bike in 04...
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: liam2051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    849
    for two grand i can see the final product being a coke can frame with bits of sram dotted on it (just a xo rear for bling and to make it look like a high end bike) and then just having really crap parts everywhere else i wouldnt buy id rather spend the cash and get a proper bike.....at the moment your idea is seeming like a very flashy toyworld bike

  49. #49
    Huh?
    Reputation: airs0ft3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344
    Like I said

    Sram X.0
    Spinergy Xyclone Enduros
    Shimano XT 2008 brakes
    A GOOD FREAKING SADDLE
    A Lyrik Fork

  50. #50
    Enforcer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    381
    strong frame
    lyric or talas
    xt drivetrain
    thomson stem and post
    funn bars
    wtb silverado seat
    dt swiss e2200 or easton havoc AM?
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •