Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best SPD equivalent to Crank Bros Mallet.....?

Iam looking for a nice wide pedal for All mountain riding, ...I have a DMR V12 at the moment and Iam looking to make the switch....but would like a pedal that is a bit of both, like the Crank Bros Mallet but in SPD....

....what do you recomend...??

Iam currently looking at the Azonic A Frame clipless pedal

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11829

Thanks.....
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    647. or time z
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Shimano doesn't make a non-adjustable SPD pedal that breaks as much as the crank brother's mallet, but they do make the 647, which is a damn good pedal. 545s are also good, a little more compact, but with a strong metal cage.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    What i was kind of looking for is SPD one side and flat the other....the 647's look the best, but iam assuming they arent like that, they are SPD both sides.....?

So are those Time Z's SPD too? they look totally different, with just two bars going across...

thanks...

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    What i was kind of looking for is SPD one side and flat the other....the 647's look the best, but iam assuming they arent like that, they are SPD both sides.....?

So are those Time Z's SPD too? they look totally different, with just two bars going across...

thanks...
    G4, if you're talking about something like the Shimano 323, if you've never ridden pedals like those, I think you'll be sorely disappointed. That flat-on-one-side/SPD-on-the-other design is horrible on a trail. The pedal always rotates to a position that is hard to acquire. These types of pedals work OK for commuter applications, but if you're trying to ride a trail where you're going to unclip to any degree, they are horrible. I have a set of those pedals. IMO and experience I think they are a bad choice.

Elitest thrill junkie

thanks...
    You don't want flat on one side. The SPD mechanism is always heavier and that side of the pedal with naturally rotate until it's face-down. That makes clipping in very difficult (you have to "flip" the pedal first) and more dangerous in rough terrain. The SPD on one-side is a terrible idea, up there with toe-clips. Either do flats or do clipless.

If you want the "flat" side for technical stuff, that kind of defeats the entire purpose of clipless pedals. This means that you are decreasing your control during the technical sections (by unclipping). It also usually means you don't have the speed to clear the obstacles and crashing is usually more likely. Some DHers use flats, but they go flats all the way with sticky shoes. For some big crazy jumps and ladder rides, it's nice to be able to ditch the bike, but plenty of other DHers use clipless due to the control (mentioned above).

Yes, Time Zs are like the CB pedal, but much better. The shimano 647s and 545s are the closest comparable.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    G4, if you're talking about something like the Shimano 323, if you've never ridden pedals like those, I think you'll be sorely disappointed. That flat-on-one-side/SPD-on-the-other design is horrible on a trail. The pedal always rotates to a position that is hard to acquire. These types of pedals work OK for commuter applications, but if you're trying to ride a trail where you're going to unclip to any degree, they are horrible. I have a set of those pedals. IMO and experience I think they are a bad choice.
    Agreed, useless on the trials.

mtbr member
    Yeah i have tried pedals like that they came on my Pitch or something very simular....they were a nightmare, always spinning to the wrong side.....crap!

I thought maybe they would have weighted them properly to be equal on both sides, so not spinning away.....

I have a pair of Shimano MP66 shoes coming tomorrow....
    They have a really good rating in UK mags, so i think im gonna go with the Time Z control pedals to go with them and just get into using clipless.....just hope the bearings are something like my DMR V12's cos they are buttery smooth.....

Thanks for the advice everyone....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    my road bike pedals are one sided and I think it would be awful off road.

How about shimano m424, wide enough platform to ride unclipped and reasonable weight, they are billed as a budget pedal but they have top end performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    my road bike pedals are one sided and I think it would be awful off road.

How about shimano m424, wide enough platform to ride unclipped and reasonable weight, they are billed as a budget pedal but they have top end performance.
    Good shout...!!
    What is the difference between the Shimano 647 and the M424 then? both got the resin cages on them.....the cheaper M424 is lighter too.......?!

Riding a Rig.
    Iam looking for a nice wide pedal for All mountain riding, ...I have a DMR V12 at the moment and Iam looking to make the switch....but would like a pedal that is a bit of both, like the Crank Bros Mallet but in SPD....

Thanks.....
    I've been in just this position before. I liked the feeling of SPDs but never found one with any kind of decent platform. The answer were the Time ATAC Z's. Seriously these are like the offspring of a SPD and the Mallets.

The locking mechanism looks almost the same as the CB's but it feels a lot more like SPD to me. I really hated the 'mushiness' (read: too much float) of the CBs. The Times aren't like that at all.

http://www.time-sport.com/product-sh...0.idp.134.html
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Upgrade your life
    Atomlab Quickstep...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    I've been in just this position before. I liked the feeling of SPDs but never found one with any kind of decent platform. The answer were the Time ATAC Z's. Seriously these are like the offspring of a SPD and the Mallets.

The locking mechanism looks almost the same as the CB's but it feels a lot more like SPD to me. I really hated the 'mushiness' (read: too much float) of the CBs. The Times aren't like that at all.

http://www.time-sport.com/product-sh...0.idp.134.html
    Yeah iam looking at these at the moment.......it is between the Shimano M424's and these Time Z Controls......the 'time' do look a lot better tho, and a lot easier too clean.....dont look like they will hold onto any mud at all.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDial
    Atomlab Quickstep...
    These had a bad review over here in the UK, but i think that mainly because of the original asking price... 109.99 was a bit salty wasnt it.....down to 59.99 now.....you have these then...?

Riding a Rig.
    Yeah iam looking at these at the moment.......it is between the Shimano M424's and these Time Z Controls......the 'time' do look a lot better tho, and a lot easier too clean.....dont look like they will hold onto any mud at all.....
    They do significantly better with mud than SPDs do.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Upgrade your life
    Yep i have them. Picked them for around $80 from CRC back when the exchange rate was in our favor. I absolutely love them. The only difficult part was shoe selection. Must be a flat bottom spd skate style shoe. I went with the 661 Launch. Easy in / easy out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    They do significantly better with mud than SPDs do.
    I think my main concern is, is there any grip when you just put your foot/shoe on the pedal not clipped in.....because when the **** hits the fan, you do want to have a dab with the foot and stay out sometimes dont you.....perhaps its my novice riding abilities but i do have close ones regular because iam pushing it all the time.....

the other would be bearings....my DMR's are awsum, smooth....hope i can find the same with a clipped'in pedal....

mtbr member
    Yep i have them. Picked them for around $80 from CRC back when the exchange rate was in our favor. I absolutely love them. The only difficult part was shoe selection. Must be a flat bottom spd skate style shoe. I went with the 661 Launch. Easy in / easy out.
    Yeah i got the shimano MP66 coming 2mo....so perfect....

Riding a Rig.
    I think my main concern is, is there any grip when you just put your foot/shoe on the pedal not clipped in.....because when the **** hits the fan, you do want to have a dab with the foot and stay out sometimes dont you.....perhaps its my novice riding abilities but i do have close ones regular because iam pushing it all the time.....

the other would be bearings....my DMR's are awsum, smooth....hope i can find the same with a clipped'in pedal....
    I'm convinced that it is impossible to make a pedal that works as well as I would like both clipped in and unclipped.

If the pedal is too grippy then you will never be able to get properly clipped in or clipped out. You can counteract this by raising the interface but if this sits too high it compromises grip while unclipped.

I think its a matter of striking a balance between the two. The Z's do a good job of that.
    -Dave Weagle

Chillin the Most
    Good shout...!!
    What is the difference between the Shimano 647 and the M424 then? both got the resin cages on them.....the cheaper M424 is lighter too.......?!
    The dif is in the pedal body itself. The 647 has an updated body which is better for muddy areas and has a much better feel overall than the older style 424. I've used the 424, 636 (old school DX pedal with red body; still have them actually), 520 & 647's and prefer the new style body. Also the cage on the 647 is much more robust, I actually broke the cage on my 424's, cracked it around the spindle, which is what lead me to the 647.

TNC
    noMAD man
    G4, stay away from the Shimano 424/434 series. I have a drawer full of these in my shop...all with broken cages. Even when the cage doesn't break, the mechanism on the end of the spindle comes loose and the cage flops everywhere. Please stay with the 647. The two pedals look quite similar but they are not even in the same league.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Thanks.....
    I've got the Shimano 647s which have a nice platform (helps when you don't get clipped in right away), are extremely easy to clip into (& out of), and are known as very reliable. I picked up a pair for around $85.

mtbr member
    Me and my girlfriend both use the 647's and really like them. And we beat them up bad in our AZ rocks on our Motolites.

I would go the 647's over the 424's for durability. Big difference between the two. The 647 is one of the easiest pedals ever to get into. And it has excellent release.

One nice thing with the 647 is the ability to really tune how it releases. Not only can you adjust the tension, but you have the option of running the Multi-release cleat like we do. I like this cleat adjusted with a little more tension than the standard cleat. I can dab almost as easy as a platform, but get great climbing power, and my feet stay on when downhilling. If you are a big hucker and whip the bike, it may release too easy, so use the standard cleat.

No other pedal gives you so much tuning ability to get the feel you like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Caught in a pinch with the wrong shoes or for casual rides, the Quiksteps really do work manageably well with plain old (no cleat) skate shoes in the sense that the cleat retention wings mash down fairly flat when you're not clipped in. So you can actually contact the cage for traction. You do have to maintain some downward pressure on them in bumpy conditions, but you get less of that protruding lump feeling underneath that you might get with say a shimano caged pedal. If you had shoes with cleats on, you might defeat the notion of riding clipped out just in sketchy situations. It uses a big cleat compared to spd, and the cleat interface has a lot of surface area. I'm not sure that you could keep from clipping back in accidentally under those circumstances. I don't recall trying. Instead, I was more curious about whether they would work with clipless AND flat shoes so I could just hop on the bike no matter which I had on.

They have their advantages, but as mentioned you really need a skate style SPD shoe like the 661 Launch. Particularly one with a VERY shallow recessed area for the cleat so it can sit almost outside out of the soles. I had trouble getting clipped in reliably with the deep cleat trench in my normal SPD shoes.

Sir Hurt Locker
    I have been running the Shimano PD-M545 pedals on my AM/DH rig for a full season now and heading into another season with them. So far I love these pedals for aggresive riding, they have a nice platform and strong metal cage. I run M-520s on my hardtail and CB eggbeaters on my hybrid. So far I love all of these pedals!

The M545
    Cheers,

Seb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast