Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Saddle

Team Inflexible

Best Saddle

I am lookin for a comfy all mountain saddle.

some times my rides last as much as 8 hous...

I am riding a specialized BG rival now. Dont really like it that much even though it was a 100 bucks... I really want somthing that reduces numbness and pain.

The WTB Rocket saddles seem to get good reviews.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Before you go off buying another saddle try playing with the angle a bit on your existing one. Tilting the nose down a bit usually gets rid of the numbness problem you're describing - at least for me it does.

Team Inflexible
    I have played with the angle and feel like I have the saddle is in it best spot...

conjoinicorned
    i don't like the specialized saddles either.

i have an SDG bel-air, the break-in period was painfully (literally!) long, but now i like it alot (took a good 300km to break in). my favorite saddle ever was my old selle italia flite, but the new ones are a bit $$ and i'm enjoying my sdg now.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i don't like the specialized saddles either.

i have an SDG bel-air, the break-in period was painfully (literally!) long, but now i like it alot (took a good 300km to break in). my favorite saddle ever was my old selle italia flite, but the new ones are a bit $$ and i'm enjoying my sdg now.
    I second the bel-air. It's light enough without being stupid light. It's comfy enough without being too squishy. Best of all, you can get the Ti railed version for about $50 if you look around. Nothing can beat that!

Got Ventana
    My vote goes out to the Rocket V with Ti rails. I do some pretty long rides (6 - 8 Hrs) and have always found it comfortable

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Just tried the Terry Fly which I won in a drawing. It's suprising nice, didn't require a break in period like my WTB rocket.

Veni Vidi Vici
    You can also check out Fizik gobi, works well for me on long rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

third this recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I second the bel-air. It's light enough without being stupid light. It's comfy enough without being too squishy. Best of all, you can get the Ti railed version for about $50 if you look around. Nothing can beat that!
    I have the cromo railed version. a little stronger and only ~7g heavier.

this saddle is very comfortable. I was on a WTB PowerV DH saddle for 2 rides before this saddle, and it killed me, way to wide, felt flat and unsupportive. I am very pleased with the Bel Air. It has a great shape for climbing (raised tail), is padded pretty well for the weight, is wide enough to feel (and grip for control when jumping etc), but small enough to get out of them way when descending. It looks sharp, and is a GREAT deal. $40@ pricepoint.

p.s. I have heard that if you want the ultimate in comfort though get a Brooks. (they are VERY EXPENSIVE)

mtbr member

I second the Gobi

I replaced my seat off of an '02 FSR Pro and moved it onto my Yeti 575 later on. Very comfy.....

Riding a Rig.
    I'm a big of of WTB saddles. I've had a Speed-V for a logn time, and recently picked up a Ti Pure-V on jenson for like 45.00. Both are really comfy, the best saddles I've used.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

trail fairy
    The Pure V is the sleeper in the WTB range, one of the best for comfort esspecially long rides. Better than the more expensive Rocket IMO Ive had both maybe its my bottom shope but lets not go there!

http://www.wtb.com/saddles_purev.html

SDG are also good pity I can't get the one I want here with Ti rails otherwise Id try it

http://www.sdgusa.com/layout.php?m=t...trad&s=belairs
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just got my SDG Bel Air Ti at Adrenaline bikes for $40. They're blowing out the red/black ones. They also have red/whit cromo for $24.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    I'm a big of of WTB saddles. I've had a Speed-V for a logn time, and recently picked up a Ti Pure-V on jenson for like 45.00. Both are really comfy, the best saddles I've used.
    Its the only saddle I've ever used, except for commuters... I would definately buy another WTB Speed. Its never been an issue, I've never been uncomfortable, even after 6 hrs.

yeah, uh............bikes
    I'd recommend one of the SDG saddles. I've was riding an SDG Grand Prix for a long time and it was the most comfortable saddle I've had.

I know lots of people like the WTB stuff, but after trying three different models and having each of them be totally uncomfortable and broken after a few months I've given up.

mtbr member
    I have a Fizik Nisene Ti that I find to be very comfortable, and it's light with good padding.
    Last edited by Swerny; 06-21-2006 at 10:50 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member

third

Used to like WTBs, now Fizik is my lover. True saddle in the normal sense of the word. You sit in it, not on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

saddle

I tried a wtb rocket and it was alright then I tried a wtb pure V race saddle and is alot better for me that would be my vote

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Saddles are such a subjective thing.
    Loads of people love the SDGs but I never got on with them - then I tried a Body Geometry one with the same problems.
    Now I've just got a Fizik Gobi as per the pic above, and so far so good.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Profile of the saddle is EVERYTHING. All butts are different. I have found the Fizik, (Nisene & Pave) & SDG saddles, for the most part, seem to have very similar shapes. Very conical shaped as they go back to sitting points. The WTB's seem to be very flat in comparision. The Fizik & SDG's seem to fit me well from 1st min. I set on them, (read; no break-in needed). I am riding a WTB now, the one w/the dbl diamonds on the nose, & "I" have gotten broken in to the saddle now. Only saddle I have ever hated is the OEM's on the Rocky Mountains. When my LBS was selling lots'o them people would just take them off of them bike & tell the shop wrench to give it to someone that needed it. I keep a spare 1 or 2 of them laying around jic I bust a rail on my WTB.
    Fizik's is my butts favorite. They seem to be very well padded/comfortable to me.

Keep yer butt happy.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

WTB double black diamond saddle

I have that one too... it lasted 2 rides, I hated how large it was, and it had no climbing support (raised tail). Also it was reallflat feeling, no support. OTOH, I have a WTB speedV saddle that I have on my hardtail that I have been riding for 3 years, I absolutely love it.

I think the generalization that WTB saddles are flat is way off base. Most likely just the PowerV DH model (the one with the diamonds on the nose)

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    I have that one too... it lasted 2 rides, I hated how large it was, and it had no climbing support (raised tail). Also it was reallflat feeling, no support. OTOH, I have a WTB speedV saddle that I have on my hardtail that I have been riding for 3 years, I absolutely love it.

I think the generalization that WTB saddles are flat is way off base. Most likely just the PowerV DH model (the one with the diamonds on the nose)
    "Profile of the saddle is EVERYTHING. All butts are different. I have found the Fizik, (Nisene & Pave) & SDG saddles, for the most part, seem to have very similar shapes. Very conical shaped as they go back to sitting points. The WTB's seem to be very flat in comparision."

Not a generalization, comparision to SDG & Fizik only, which are are more conical shaped w/the raised tail you speak of for climbing. Hmmmm, now that I look at their line, overall I'd say they ARE relatively flat compared to most other saddles. MHO
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Singletrack Addict!!!
    As some have stated, every butt is different. The most comfortable saddles I've tried so far are the WTB Laser V Pro-gel and the Pure V Pro gel (this one's the best). Also the best value - comfort - weight ratio IMO. The rocket is good, but not for long rides and is too narrow for me. Haven't tried any Specialized, Selle Italia or others than I can recollect feeling no pain.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Relayden; 06-22-2006 at 07:21 AM.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

MK_
    carpe maņana
    The price of the saddle has practically zero correlation to comfort. It is all about your anatomy. Rocket is a great design as it seems to satisfy a good percentage of behinds. For me, personally, the Laser is a better fit.

Put a sheet of paper on your chair, padded chair, and then sit down on it. Your seat bones ought to leave two imprints in that sheet of paper. Measure the disctance, center to center. This is very useful info to have as all saddles satisfy a certain range of widths.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

ReeFride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast