Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Powerlines/ trail riding bike for under $800

11K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Blksocks 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im 16 and im getting back into mountain biking with a couple of friends. I was looking for a bike that can handle some abuse and be able to tackle basically anything I might come across on powerlines and some moderate trails. Im stuck between a diamondback recoil comp and a trek 4300 and a specialized rockhopper comp. If you could pick between those three, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#4 ·
+1 on what Bob said. The Force is a cool rig and I think it would work out great for you. I have the GT Sanction 1 which is a similar design, just a little burlier suspension-wise for rocks and drops.

:thumbsup: on you and your friends getting out there and riding. I know too many kids sitting around getting fat and out of shape plus they're not having any fun.

#6 ·
Rept.-- you shouldn't be looking at a fs bike in that price range, I should know I sell the db recoil comps, they are heavy and are like big boats, not nimble and fast like most high end suspension bikes should be.

If your looking at dbs however, you could get a Overdrive, the 29er hardtail. I don't remember if the comp is in your price range but I believe it is. Otherwise go with a Specialized from the bike shop so you can have it under warranty for a year with free tune ups.

Edit: It is in your price range, BAM!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10850662

ALSO: The 26 in version with a little better specs. 29ers are easier to learn on and roll over stuff. But this is a better bike.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...1778&cp=4406646.4413993.4418012.4418015#green

#8 ·
Do not go with a FS bike, go with a hardtail. You are too low in price to get a good FS bike.

Specialized Rockhopper is a classic that is solid year after year for the past 20 some years. Kona Cindercone or the NuNu, or Trek 4500. All about 750.

Specialized has a great factory warranty too.

#9 ·
I'll put in another vote for the Force 3.0. That is a solid rig, and even that particular Suntour fork is good for trail riding. I have the 2011 2.0 and it's a really sweet performer, a lot of fun to ride up or down!

Starting off with that 3.0 will give you a fantastic base to build on as you get into it and get more serious.

#11 ·
My vote is for the Specialized Rockhopper. Or a Trek 4500 (although I haven't looked at Treks recently). My fist MTB was a Trek 4500 (bought in 2002). I rode everything on that bike before I upgraded to my Full suspension Specialized (Still have the 4500 & it rides solid). My buddy bought a Specialized Rockhopper Sport about 2 years... it too is a solid bike!

In my opinion it is always good to start on a hardtail. It truly teaches you how to ride skillfully and smoothly. Plus they are good bikes to learn repairs and maintenance!

Definitely need at least a Large. I am 6'2" and my large Specialized Enduro sometimes feels small. Go to a LBS (Local Bike Shop) and have them fit you onto a frame... remember @ 16 years old, you still have some growing to do.

Welcome to the Forum & More importantly, Welcome to MTB!
It is truly a great sport to get into @ your age!
Happy Riding!

~Kirby

#14 ·
Uhhh, guys, that link to the sweet deal on the GT sais they are all sold out. No matter how many of you think its a great deal, the one you can't really get isn't so great after all.

EDIT: I see those posts were a week ago so maybe they were available then. Still relevant though, unless you got yourself a time machine.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.