Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

best platform pedal for $50?

Looking for a good, thin and/or lightweight AM platform pedal. Budget is $50.

considering the Wellgo mg-1 and that Forte pedal from Performance.

What else ya got?????

Is not amused
    Look up the Echo TR platform or VP-59. Just a suggestion.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    XTENSIONBIKES
    Xtension M2 ?!

mtbr member
    HT AN01 or AX01 on ebay, they came in many different variaties from Magn to Alu bodies and Chro to Ti spindles. Of course Magn and Ti is pricier. Ming Shiju is also a good quality pedals on ebay for around $50. They resemble Xplod pedals and I think there under 300g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Look up the Echo TR platform or VP-59. Just a suggestion.
    +1 Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to go with the VP-59

EDIT: Just noticed they go for $100, not $50. And you wont find the AN01's on ebay for less than $125.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    VP-59.
    Are you rock-n this pedal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    EDIT: Just noticed they go for $100, not $50...
    That changes things. I watch the product video and have that problem with my HT and Ming being to grippy at times.And with Suspension it can be hard to reposition your foot standing on the pedals.

I <3 dirt
    I just bought a brand new set of welgo mg-1's on eBay for $35 shipped. Plenty of grip, sealed bearings and confusingly light.

user-created
    Transition Stepdown, $59.

mtbr member
    I got Wellgo C-135's because they are light at 290g, compared to 400, 500g or more on many platforms.
    I like them, but I'm not sure how durable they will be. They feel like a good smack on a rock could dent them up pretty easily, but time will tell. I really didn't want heavy pedals.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Wellgo C135 Sealed Bearing Platform Pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    That changes things. I watch the product video and have that problem with my HT and Ming being to grippy at times.And with Suspension it can be hard to reposition your foot standing on the pedals.
    They can definitely be found cheaper than $100. I've been using this pedal for awhile on both a Tomac Snyper and a Pivot Mach 5.7 and liking it. More than grippy enough due to the longer, thinner pins, but still easy to reposition your foot. Done a bunch of climbing and technical descents without issues. Only time I've ever had my foot kicked off them was when I made a dumb mistake and that's rare. I've even done a bit of downhill with them.

I got mine from universal because I like their service. I'm sure their price match would work for this as well.
    VP Components VP-59 - AEBike.com
    Universal Cycles -- VP Components VP-59 Platform Pedals
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
    Transition Stepdown, $59.
    these with straitline pins. actually, anything with straitline pins

mtbr member
    Forte Convert from Performance Bike or Kona Wah Wah
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    X2 the Welgo from BlueSky. They also have lots of other Welgos to choose from at 1/2 price.

mtbr member
    Wellgo B103 pedals. Can get them from Pricepoint or Bluesky (if you want some red on them).

thin, light, stand up to some abuse/rocks.

Have a set on both of my bikes, going to buy the red ones from Bluesky for my wifes bike.

mtbr member
    You can sometimes find Wah Wah's in that range and they're WORLDS better than Wellgos. Once you try thin pedals you'll NEVER go back; design is the same as the Diety Decoys (my faves).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    What makes them "WORLDS" better?

Have you ever seen the specific pedals mentioned?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    +1 for Forte Convert, $50 at Performance. It's a rebranded HT, and IMO the best pedal for the money if you want something thin. You can't see the brand name when you ride it

Wellgo MG-1 used to be my fave- you can get magnesium bodies with Ti spindles off ebay for dirt cheap and they weight almost nothing. Probably the tallest pedal I have ever used, though.

There was a guy on ebay selling HT AN02s for $50 shipped (same as Wah Wah, Deity, etc) but I haven't seen them in a while.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I have a pair of Kona WahWah's on my Flatline, which were previously on my Slayer. They've had two seasons of bashing into rocks at Northstar, and they're still holding up just fine.

I have a new pair of Wellgo MG-1 Tis on the Slayer.. freakishly light. Haven't had the chance to ride them as I'm waiting for additional parts to arrive to drop my Slayer back into the <30lb AM weight category.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

Is not amused
    Are you rock-n this pedal?
    Yes

Is not amused

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    +1 for Forte Convert, $50 at Performance. It's a rebranded HT, and IMO the best pedal for the money if you want something thin. You can't see the brand name when you ride it

Wellgo MG-1 used to be my fave- you can get magnesium bodies with Ti spindles off ebay for dirt cheap and they weight almost nothing. Probably the tallest pedal I have ever used, though.

There was a guy on ebay selling HT AN02s for $50 shipped (same as Wah Wah, Deity, etc) but I haven't seen them in a while.
    Thats the thing, the B103 is 100g lighter than the Forte/Kona, and comes in very close to the same thickness. Also available in a few colors.

Also, not MG, so it wont shatter on rocks, like the MG1s do on occasion.

Ill try to get pics of the pedal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    B103 is 26mm thick, definately not a thin pedal- sure is light tho! The Convert is heavier, but still only 17mm thick (sorry can't find link, will measure).

B103 linkage

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I absolutely love my Wellgo MG-1's. I'm not worried about their thickness because they're still light as hell; and, most importantly (to me), they stick like glue to my feet!

At under $50, they're almost a no-brainer...

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Bought a set of sealed bearing Redline platforms just last weekend for my spouse. She already tore 'em up on the trail, I'm pretty sure these aren't BMX pedals either. I think they went over your price point by 4 dollars or so at the LBS in Bellingham where I got them.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    B103 is 26mm thick, definately not a thin pedal- sure is light tho! The Convert is heavier, but still only 17mm thick (sorry can't find link, will measure).

B103 linkage
    I own 2 pairs. The body is not 26mm thick, I believe that is the thickness including the pins.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Atomlab G.I. Been trashing mine for two years and are still in good shape

mtbr member
    I found these on pinkbike, they're above your budget but if you can stretch you should. Keep in mind shipping isn't included. If I had the $$$ I would have bought these in a heartbeat...

NEW 2011 Red Dartmoor Fever Pedals! SALE PRICED! - Pinkbike.com

They're the thinnest and the lightest...

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Forte convert

Had the Forte Converts for a couple weeks and they are a great value, could get em for less than $50 when performance runs one of their discounts

mtbr member

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Anyone have experience with Tioga's Spider line? I know they retail above the $50 limit, but they can be found for at or below 50. How do they compare to HT's? Both are super light, but look like good quality products.

mtbr member

You can see the outer edge is just under 3/4" in the picture, but you can see the top of the tape is off the pedal body a bit. It is a 17mm thick pedal, at the thickest point. About 14mm in the thin area.

mtbr member
    +1, Forte Converts from performance are great for price!

mtbr member
    To the OP, I'm just coming for a similar research. After considering several $75-120 models I ended going today for the Wellgo MG-1's, about $50. They seem rock solid, light, concave platform, a good amount of pins and pretty cheap!

The only thing I'd wish they had is the pins be adjustable in the back not on the top.

mtbr member
    I've had my HT AN01's for a year and a half. I just replaced the pins this week since they've been beat on rocks here in AZ and were trashed. HT actually makes a lot of the popular brands like diety, kona, etc. They've been perfect. I got them on ebay for $50 but the guy who sells them doesn't have them right now. I emailed him and he said he has a large shipment of HT pedals coming and he'll reopen his ebay store when he gets them.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

mtbr member
    I got some wellgo mg-1's after reading some opinions on another pedal thread. I bought them on ebay for about $30 and I love them and at that price I'll be able to pick up a new pair every riding season no sweat. I got the red ones and the paint does wear off pretty easily but I don't care, the way they look has nothing to do with their performance. I thought I should just let you know.
    Low saddles save balls.

You win again, gravity!

mtbr member
    I'll second the b103s. I have a set on both my mtn bikes. Awesome pedal, lots of pins, really grippy and solid. Thin and light too. Can't believe more places don't carry it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    I emailed him and he said he has a large shipment of HT pedals coming and he'll reopen his ebay store when he gets them.
    The United States should build our product suppliers faster boats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834 View Post
    The United States should build our product suppliers faster boats.
    No no, we just need to pay some third world country to build the faster boats for us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've got Sun Ringle Octane Mags. They were $40 at PricePoint, but they don't carry them anymore. They are great.

Big Test Icycles
    I went from Transition Step Down to the Welgo MG-1. Both good pedals, the Transition have a wider platform which held my foot better. They both take a beating but the Welgos are much lighter. I have gotten used to the smaller platform matched up with 5-10 shoes. For the money they're decent. I can't stomach paying $100+ for a pair of pedals that get beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i bought some mg-1s on ebay for 35 shipped brand new. They're great pedals for what i do and the price is just as good. I ride really rooty and rocky stuff and the mg1s grip very nicely

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    What makes them "WORLDS" better?

Have you ever seen the specific pedals mentioned?
    Used both. Like I said - thinner IS better not to mention the platform is more secure than the Wellgo. My feet slipped off the Wellgos more than the Diety's; placement of pins or concave design perhaps? Good to know the Forte Converts are the same thing!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    B103s are just as thin and concave(as seen in the picture). So I guess that's ruled out. FWIW my feet never slip off the B103s. Once I put my foot down I have to lift it back off to change position.

I guess the downside is they say Wellgo on them and aren't expensive bling. My feet can't tell though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just ordered the MG-1's! Really excited to see how they grip, I'm riding some stock things that don't grab at all. On a side note, does anyone know if you can polish the MG-1's since the paint chips so easily?

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRockhopper View Post
    I just ordered the MG-1's! Really excited to see how they grip, I'm riding some stock things that don't grab at all. On a side note, does anyone know if you can polish the MG-1's since the paint chips so easily?
    I haven't tried that, but the red paint on mine is definitely disappearing quickly. That's really the only negative with these pedals. However, I don't mind it so much because all it does is demonstrate that I actually ride my bike aggressively. The grip they provide is also well worth it!

When the paint rubs off, the exposed core is white; so, maybe it's a good idea to buy the white version to start with? I may just do that for my next set...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    HT AN01 or AX01 on ebay, they came in many different variaties from Magn to Alu bodies and Chro to Ti spindles. Of course Magn and Ti is pricier. Ming Shiju is also a good quality pedals on ebay for around $50. They resemble Xplod pedals and I think there under 300g.
    Second the HT AN01 suggestion.
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks for info.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I bought a set of AX01s off of ebay and I like them a lot.

I also have a set of Forte Converts, so I can vouch for those as well. They're fine, but I prefer the AX01s, mostly due to size.

I was considering a second set of AX01s to replace the Converts, but then I saw pics of the AE01 pedals that HT is supposed to be releasing soon... I'm hoping those end up in the $50 range as well.

AX01 ht pedals - Google Search

Fingers crossed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast