Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. Best peddle friendly knee pads ( RF dig v Fox launch)

Hope this is the best forum to post this in. What do you guys think are the best pedal friendly knee pads. I have been looking at the Fox Launch Pro knee pads or the RF Dig knee pads. I know a bunch of guys like the 661 Kyle Strait pads, but they also sya they tear up pretty easily.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by rekibtm; 02-02-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No need to start another thread, just pick up some 661 KS. I know guys riding them for years without incident.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    No need to start another thread, just pick up some 661 KS. I know guys riding them for years without incident.
    this is true.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Rtying to see if anyone had any experince with either if these. I have tried just seaching the net mtbr, but most of what I find is marketing tyoe of hype. I am surprised there is not more ridee info around. I am not trying piss anyone off by starting a only slightly different thread.

Charecterzero, I have been watching CL for the cheap KS you told me about. I figured If I could get them for $20 I wouldn't care if they tear up after a few crashes.

~Disc~Golf~
    Best peddle friendly knee pads ( RF dig v Fox launch)
    Either of those kneepads will sell nicely if the price point is right, they have marketability and are backed with good customer service.

Wait, is this a sales pitch?
    Are you spamming?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Let the good times roll.
    What about the Knox Cross Lite pads? has anyone tried those? I was thinking about getting a set.

http://stores.knoxarmorusa.com/-strs...nee/Detail.bok
    http://stores.knoxarmorusa.com/-strs...nee/Detail.bok

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Either of those kneepads will sell nicely if the price point is right, they have marketability and are backed with good customer service.

Wait, is this a sales pitch?
    Are you spamming?
    no not a sales pitch . Actually most of the information I have found online is a sales pitch. Actually some good reviews of the fox pads at whistlermountianbike.com. These guys gave the 661 evo pads a good review too, but a bunch guys on here seem to think they don't an adequate job of protecting your knees in a crash.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey rekibtm, responding to your PM here.

I like the EVO pads, I do. They are great at what they are - lightweight protection for me. I don't often fall on them (knock on wood), but when I do, they have worked brilliantly.

Now, if I had been out 2x because of serious knee injuries, no way in hell I would skimp on protection. I'd rock hard pads all the time. That is the boat you are in.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    no not a sales pitch . Actually most of the information I have found online is a sales pitch. Actually some good reviews of the fox pads at whistlermountianbike.com. These guys gave the 661 evo pads a good review too, but a bunch guys on here seem to think they don't an adequate job of protecting your knees in a crash.
    oh, from your OP, it's sounded like you were looking to get into selling these pads.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    miniwisejosh, those pads seem expensive.

So does anyone have experience with the raceface or fox kneepads?

mtbr member
    BTW, I don't think it really matters with the knee pads.

I have a set of 661 DJ pads, and while I notice them in shuttle van, I never notice it when I am pedaling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really like Kali soft knee pads.

http://kaliprotectives.com/products/shop/aazis-2/

fnar fnar brrraaaaap

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    miniwisejosh, those pads seem expensive.

So does anyone have experience with the raceface or fox kneepads?
    I know. I'm still willing to get them if they are the most comforable option available. I plan to use them for just about all my rides including XC, so comfort is a major factor. I'll also be getting some knee/shin pads for DH, and protection will be the main consideration there.

I like the idea of not having any strap going around my thigh seems good on paper. I'm just not sure how well a design like that will stay in place or even if it's as comfortable as it looks. If I can't find any user feedback, I'll just get Kyle Straits which seem to be pretty popular. Or maybe I'll try POC.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the POC VPD Knee? I saw these things and was really interested in how the impact material works....

http://www.pocsports.com/products/sh...Bike&id=S92037

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Has anyone tried the POC VPD Knee? I saw these things and was really interested in how the impact material works....

http://www.pocsports.com/products/sh...Bike&id=S92037
    There was a review of the POC in the latest BIKE mag, they said IIRC that POC's impact absorbing material was akin to 661's EVO.

I AM I AM
    When I saw the POC pads my first thought was that the impact absorbing material would be pretty similar to that of 661 Evo.
    I am interested in this topic since I'm not serious about DH I might be looking at pedlal friendly knee only pads, and Race Face and Poc would be two of my considerations.
    BTW I think when it comes to pedalling the pads you buy certainly CAN make a difference. Older Fox Launch Knee Shins would rub raw above my knee. Race Face Rally FR Knee / Shins seem comfy enoug for pedalling but they do get hot in the summer and are probably overkill for XC type riding.
    I've had 661 Knee Pads (I can't think of the model name but the ones that go with the Chicken Wing elbow pads) and I found the stitching in the hole behind the knee would rub plus they always felt like they moved down.

Are the Fox Launch Pro you posted the latest version? The picture I saw in Dirt mag was a bit too dark to see detail but they looked different, at the time they said they had a cut out behind the knee and I thought maybe they were worth consdiering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes the picture is of the newest fox KNEE pad.

POC pads look interesting. d30 type of material? How much?

RF also has the ambush pads coming out that are made with d3o. I have heard they are going to be a little bit burlier than the 661 evo pads.

My RF rally pads I have been using aren't too bad to pedal in. They have rubbed the top of my knee raw a few times after a lot of riding. The south florida heat has got me skipping on wearing them (this is why I am intrested in knee only pad).

I would be better off if any of the LBSs stocked protecion. I see a good number of guys/girls riding padded up, I am assuming they buy online.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I own both the POC Bone Leg guards as well as the POC VPD Knee guards. I bought the Bone version to go with the rest of my armor and try to wear them only when doing FR/DH because they have a tendency to twist slightly after any significant pedaling, nothing major that can't be solved with a quick yank though. I originally bought the VPD knees for my wife but she doesn't do enough heavy riding to wear them so I have adopted them for use on most of my other days. The VPD knees fit rather snugly so make sure you buy the right size, but no twisting or moving. As for the VPD, you will not be dissapointed. This stuff is crazy. It feels somewhat like clay when you push on it and molds to your body after a couple of minutes of wearing, but the second you smack it with anything it goes rock solid. The Bone guards have it lining the plastic guard pieces (even though it's a bit thin in that area) and the piece that sits on top of your knee and thigh is made completely of VPD. My only complaint with the VPD Knees is they didn't wrap very much of the material around the sides. It sits mostly on the front with just a bit around the edges and while I have yet to take a good hit to that area, I'm hoping I have the Bones on when I do. I had the chance to throw on all my buddies Fox launch stuff last year and between what it felt like on and what their complaints were compared to the few issues I've had I would still buy another set of POC's stuff.

Let the good times roll.
    Did you try on the Launch knee/shin and elbow pads? What were your friends' complaints about it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Those poc joint pads look pretty nice. They are certified for motorcyle protection too. They beat the standards of protection even for the hard plastic knee pads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best peddle friendly knee pads ( RF dig v Fox launch)-poc_2009_interbike11s.jpg  

usually cranky
    idk about biking but poc skiing is hands down the best quality protection you can buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    No one has tested the fox launch??
    they ve got a decent look

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The Fox pad's are nice and for the price you can't beat them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    Did you try on the Launch knee/shin and elbow pads? What were your friends' complaints about it?
    I tried on both the arm/elbow and the knee/shin fox launch guards and the POC stuff feels like it forms itself to the wearer better and doesn't feel as overbuilt/bulky as the Fox stuff. The Fox knee/shins were tearing between the knee cup and shin plate on my buddies after only a week of owning them and the elbows slide down too much for him. I think all in all it's what feels right to you. I did notice you said something about not having the thigh strap and both of the POC guards do. I only notice it on the Bone guards when they shift slightly though, the VPD knees you can't feel it.

Whatever you decide to go with I would suggest trying http://www.hucknroll.com/ for purchasing. They are based out of Utah and have a 30 day no questions asked return policy. When I ordered my Bone guards they shipped me 2 different sizes (not their fault, packaged that way by POC) and I didn't notice until after 1/2 a day of riding. They not only had a new set to me the next day but a return slip for the ones I had already mucked up.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast