Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Maxxis (Front) Tire for AM

Hey guys,

After having tons of "issues" with Kendas I want to buy a couple Maxxis for more thorny trails such as today's trail. I've found myself 3 or 4 times a day patching tubes because of a thorn attached in my Nevegals, Excavators, Small Blocks, Mocos, etc. Very thin sidewalls, I am afraid. My friends use Maxxis and they never have any problems with them so I'm kinda dissapointed about these tires.

Trying to use the same configuration I have with Kendas, my decision for the rear tire is the Ranchero, which works quite well on the trails I ride (part dry, part dusty, part rocky).

WHAT WOULD BE THE PERFECT MAXXIS FOR THE FRONT? (BTW IN 2.35 PLEASE)

Thanks much!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    Hey guys,

After having tons of "issues" with Kendas I want to buy a couple Maxxis for more thorny trails such as today's trail. I've found myself 3 or 4 times a day patching tubes because of a thorn attached in my Nevegals, Excavators, Small Blocks, Mocos, etc.

Trying to use the same configuration I have with Kendas, my decision for the rear tire is the Ranchero, which works quite well on the trails I ride (part dry, part dusty, part rocky).

WHAT WOULD BE THE PERFECT MAXXIS FOR THE FRONT? (BTW IN 2.35 PLEASE)

Thanks much!

Maxxis are nice tires but they not going to block thorns, best thing to do is go UST or convert to tubeless for thorns. Also maxxis can be narrow, step up to 2.5 single ply exo minions.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ratt, I am afraid I couldn't correct my thread before you've posted. I know that tubeless is a choice but I want the normal stuff. My partners are using 2.1 folding bead Maxxis with inner tubes and never have issues so makes me wonder if I'm a bad luck man or I am just a Kenda owner.

So you say a Minion up front. But 2.35 maybe is too narrow. No worries, my wheels are completely XC, 24mm wide. I think 2.5 is too much for me, even if is a Maxxis

Last edited by Helmetless; 12-11-2010 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ran an ardent front with tubes...works great

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I currently run an Ardent 2.4 up front, great tire. The only thing is you have to commit and lean it in turns. There's a sketchy zone in the tread before the knobs on the edge catch but once they take over no worries.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A minion or high roller 2.35 is almost same sized as a Kenda Nevegal 2.1. Ardent, Crossmarks and etc is the newer high volume tires from Maxxis.

The place where I usually rides, don't have much torns and sharp rocks though, but I just changed to a Minion 2.35 for the front and Crossmark 2.1 for the rear. This is really a fast combo compared to my previous Nevegal 2.1 front and Hutchinson Scorpion rear.

Haven't have the chance to test it out on the trail though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    I currently run an Ardent 2.4 up front, great tire. The only thing is you have to commit and lean it in turns. There's a sketchy zone in the tread before the knobs on the edge catch but once they take over no worries.
    Hmmm... thanks! but at first glance it looks like a pretty tricky tire for a newbie. Note that I'm coming from a 2.35 Nevegal tire up front so I need a similar one, confident and not necessarily great for just one thing but good for everything. What would be more in the comfortable side while descending with no comprimise in climbing? (I know I'm picky and trying to have everything in just one tire). Just wondering how Advantages and High Rollers go as compared to the Minions

usually cranky
    tricky tire? never heard that before. does it have to be maxxis? what about panaracer or conti? persoanally im loving the rampages right now.

mtbr member
    Are you riding in the middle of the trail? Maybe its just that your friends are riding center on the trail and you like to veer off to the sides? Also it could be that you are riding in front and cleaning up the trail for them. If a thorn can take out a kenda it can take out a maxxis...and a conti..and a panaracer..and what ever with rubber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    tricky tire? never heard that before.
    That's because English isn't my native language. But I think you got the idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    Are you riding in the middle of the trail? Maybe its just that your friends are riding center on the trail and you like to veer off to the sides? Also it could be that you are riding in front and cleaning up the trail for them. If a thorn can take out a kenda it can take out a maxxis...and a conti..and a panaracer..and what ever with rubber.
    I think you're right.

I mean, I'm not cleaning up the trail to my friends but I like to take advantage of rocks that I often use as ramps and playing a little on corners - whereas my friends are doing simple xc riding right in the middle of the track. But I've never had flats while doing that.

Never had issues before with my Maxxis (just the normal) and have read lots of complaints about Kendas - most of them are about flats. Despite those commentaries, my own experience says that there's a difference between these two brands.
    Last edited by Helmetless; 12-12-2010 at 04:42 PM.

usually cranky
    That's because English isn't my native language. But I think you got the idea.
    wasnt a dig at your english but i honestly dont get it. are you refering to the fact that you need to lean the ardent hard or else it has a sketchy zone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A maxxis 2.5 highroller or a 2.4 Advantage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    wasnt a dig at your english but i honestly dont get it. are you refering to the fact that you need to lean the ardent hard or else it has a sketchy zone?
    To lean the ardent hard may require the rider to change his body position to put weight up front. Am I right?
    Last edited by Helmetless; 12-12-2010 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    A maxxis 2.5 highroller or a 2.4 Advantage
    Yep I think I'll go for the AD option

think
    Jul 2008
    Roll of stans tape, some sealant, and whatever tires you like. They don't have to be UST.

Try to stay out of the thorns at the side of the trail, like someone mentioned.

I have Ardents on one bike (2.4 front 2.25 rear) and 2.35 minions on another (DHF/DHR). The Minions have less volume but they rip. The more aggressive knob profiles give more cornering traction I think. The Ardents are a good tire but the 2.4 are both large and fairly heavy. If you run a 2.4 in the rear make sure you have sufficient frame clearance.

If you don't mind running pizza cutters the 2.35 minions might be my favorites.

mtbr member

2.35 High Roller

I think you want the 2.35 High Roller. It is very predictable, works in the front or back, and works in a lot of conditions. The 2.35 has plenty of width for AM riding. If your friends are riding 2.1s the 2.35s will be plenty.

The 2.35 DHF is another great option. I currently run the DHF front and HR in the rear. I really like this set up. Like you, I used to run the 2.35 Kends Nevs. I liked the tires but had problems with pinch flats and it rolls like poo. Go for the High Roller and you won't look back.

Stay away from the Ignitors.

Good Luck.
    TG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    I have Ardents on one bike (2.4 front 2.25 rear) and 2.35 minions on another (DHF/DHR). The Minions have less volume but they rip. The more aggressive knob profiles give more cornering traction I think. The Ardents are a good tire but the 2.4 are both large and fairly heavy.
    BN,
    How does the volume and size of the 2.25 Ardent compare to the 2.35 DHF? I am thinking of running the 2.25 Ardents on my HT.

Thanks for an y info.

TG

I'm more of a dog person
    Yep I think I'll go for the AD option
    2.4 ADV is an enormous tire. great grip but just too big. bigger than my minion 2.5 dhr.
    +1 for the Ardent. 2.25 Ardent on a 28mm wide rim hits the sweet spot for me.

Hmmmmm
    I've used the 2.4 Advantage, the 2.25 Advantage and Ardent, and currently the 2.5 Minion DHF EXO with the 60 maxpro.
    In dryer terrain at least, I think the 2.5 single ply EXO Minion DHF is the way to go. It's a fat tire, but not much bigger than a 2.35 Nevegal.
    Maxxis also makes a single ply 60mp DHF in 2.35, if your fork arch has tight clearance issues.
    They aren't puncture proof, but they are better at preventing flats than Kenda and Continentals I've tried.
    Use with a 2.35 Minion DHR folding, 60mp on the rear. Great Combo.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I've used the 2.4 Advantage, the 2.25 Advantage and Ardent, and currently the 2.5 Minion DHF EXO with the 60 maxpro.
    In dryer terrain at least, I think the 2.5 single ply EXO Minion DHF is the way to go. It's a fat tire, but not much bigger than a 2.35 Nevegal.
    Maxxis also makes a single ply 60mp DHF in 2.35, if your fork arch has tight clearance issues.
    They aren't puncture proof, but they are better at preventing flats than Kenda and Continentals I've tried.
    Use with a 2.35 Minion DHR folding, 60mp on the rear. Great Combo.
    How's the 2.25 Advantage? Simple curiosity as I used the 2.1 AD in the past (XC ride). Still undecided because I don't see a winner tire , everyone has his favorite (which is cool! btw)
    Last edited by Helmetless; 12-13-2010 at 04:02 AM.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you're looking for something that is a similar size to a 2.35 Nevegal, that will fall somewhere between a 2.25 and 2.4 ADvantage. Be careful though, as was said above, the 2.4 ADvantage is huge! It's a very tall tyre and you'll struggle to fit it in most XC fork crowns (I had trouble fitting one in a RS Revelation crown when mounted on DT XR400 rims). The 2.4 is also a heavy tyre and, IMO, isn't as good at cornering as a smaller 2.35 Minion DHF.

I run a 2.25 ADvantage on the rear of my HT (I don't like the ADvantage up front) and it's similar in size to 2.35 Minion/High Roller/Swampthing (all older Maxxis tyres are small in comparison to their newer tyres - ADv/Ardent).

For the conditions you mentioned above (dry, dusty, rocky), I'd go with a Minion DHF 2.35 Single-Ply 60a folding.

smartass
    For reference, the ADvantage 2.25 is more or less the same size as the Highroller 2.35.

For me, the ADvantage 2.4 is way to big. As others have said, it's huge. I've used it, and much prefer the 2.25 size.

I run an ADvantage 2.25 front and Ardent 2.25 rear and really like that setup. Previously a Crossmark 2.25 rear. Using the Ardent now only because of the EXO sidewall, the Crossmark was great otherwise, but the sidewalls never lasted as long as the tread.

perpetual pucker factor
    I really like my ghetto tubeless setup with Minion DHF Exo 2.5s front and rear.

Don't be afraid of a 2.5 Minion. It's not too wide. Like others have said, the Minions run much smaller than its size says. It is about the exact same size as my old 2.35 Nevegal, for reference. I measured them with calipers to be sure. The 2.35 Minion would be very narrow indeed, so I stayed away from it. But I have to say, they grip incredibly well, and even though they have taller tread than my old Nevegals, they do roll a little better. Yes, they feel a bit different than Kendas, and that's going to be the same experience whenever you switch brands. But now that I know the tires well and can predict their behavior, they're the best set I have ever ridden.

HIGHLY recommend getting the Minion DHF 2.5 Exo single ply in 60a hardness.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Slime Tubes

Saw someone mention tubeless (and I'd have to agree), but it sounds like the guy doesn't want to go that route--so I wonder why no one has mentioned Slime tubes? Before I went tubeless, I rode many Kendas (Nevs, BG's, SB8's, etc.) & Maxxis' (Xmarks, High & Holy Roller, Minions, etc.), and they all had flats at about the same rate with regular tubes. If you want to keep using tubes, the Slime will help on any brand/tire; as long as it is indeed thorns & you're not pinch flatting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast