Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595

    Best Maxxis (Front) Tire for AM

    Hey guys,

    After having tons of "issues" with Kendas I want to buy a couple Maxxis for more thorny trails such as today's trail. I've found myself 3 or 4 times a day patching tubes because of a thorn attached in my Nevegals, Excavators, Small Blocks, Mocos, etc. Very thin sidewalls, I am afraid. My friends use Maxxis and they never have any problems with them so I'm kinda dissapointed about these tires.

    Trying to use the same configuration I have with Kendas, my decision for the rear tire is the Ranchero, which works quite well on the trails I ride (part dry, part dusty, part rocky).

    WHAT WOULD BE THE PERFECT MAXXIS FOR THE FRONT? (BTW IN 2.35 PLEASE)

    Thanks much!


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,889

    Minions

    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    Hey guys,

    After having tons of "issues" with Kendas I want to buy a couple Maxxis for more thorny trails such as today's trail. I've found myself 3 or 4 times a day patching tubes because of a thorn attached in my Nevegals, Excavators, Small Blocks, Mocos, etc.

    Trying to use the same configuration I have with Kendas, my decision for the rear tire is the Ranchero, which works quite well on the trails I ride (part dry, part dusty, part rocky).

    WHAT WOULD BE THE PERFECT MAXXIS FOR THE FRONT? (BTW IN 2.35 PLEASE)

    Thanks much!

    Maxxis are nice tires but they not going to block thorns, best thing to do is go UST or convert to tubeless for thorns. Also maxxis can be narrow, step up to 2.5 single ply exo minions.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Thanks Ratt, I am afraid I couldn't correct my thread before you've posted. I know that tubeless is a choice but I want the normal stuff. My partners are using 2.1 folding bead Maxxis with inner tubes and never have issues so makes me wonder if I'm a bad luck man or I am just a Kenda owner.

    So you say a Minion up front. But 2.35 maybe is too narrow. No worries, my wheels are completely XC, 24mm wide. I think 2.5 is too much for me, even if is a Maxxis

    Last edited by Helmetless; 12-11-2010 at 07:32 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    102
    ran an ardent front with tubes...works great

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    576
    I currently run an Ardent 2.4 up front, great tire. The only thing is you have to commit and lean it in turns. There's a sketchy zone in the tread before the knobs on the edge catch but once they take over no worries.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    563
    A minion or high roller 2.35 is almost same sized as a Kenda Nevegal 2.1. Ardent, Crossmarks and etc is the newer high volume tires from Maxxis.

    The place where I usually rides, don't have much torns and sharp rocks though, but I just changed to a Minion 2.35 for the front and Crossmark 2.1 for the rear. This is really a fast combo compared to my previous Nevegal 2.1 front and Hutchinson Scorpion rear.

    Haven't have the chance to test it out on the trail though.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    I currently run an Ardent 2.4 up front, great tire. The only thing is you have to commit and lean it in turns. There's a sketchy zone in the tread before the knobs on the edge catch but once they take over no worries.
    Hmmm... thanks! but at first glance it looks like a pretty tricky tire for a newbie. Note that I'm coming from a 2.35 Nevegal tire up front so I need a similar one, confident and not necessarily great for just one thing but good for everything. What would be more in the comfortable side while descending with no comprimise in climbing? (I know I'm picky and trying to have everything in just one tire). Just wondering how Advantages and High Rollers go as compared to the Minions

  8. #8
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    tricky tire? never heard that before. does it have to be maxxis? what about panaracer or conti? persoanally im loving the rampages right now.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,281
    Are you riding in the middle of the trail? Maybe its just that your friends are riding center on the trail and you like to veer off to the sides? Also it could be that you are riding in front and cleaning up the trail for them. If a thorn can take out a kenda it can take out a maxxis...and a conti..and a panaracer..and what ever with rubber.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    tricky tire? never heard that before.
    That's because English isn't my native language. But I think you got the idea.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    Are you riding in the middle of the trail? Maybe its just that your friends are riding center on the trail and you like to veer off to the sides? Also it could be that you are riding in front and cleaning up the trail for them. If a thorn can take out a kenda it can take out a maxxis...and a conti..and a panaracer..and what ever with rubber.
    I think you're right.

    I mean, I'm not cleaning up the trail to my friends but I like to take advantage of rocks that I often use as ramps and playing a little on corners - whereas my friends are doing simple xc riding right in the middle of the track. But I've never had flats while doing that.

    Never had issues before with my Maxxis (just the normal) and have read lots of complaints about Kendas - most of them are about flats. Despite those commentaries, my own experience says that there's a difference between these two brands.
    Last edited by Helmetless; 12-12-2010 at 05:42 PM.

  12. #12
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    That's because English isn't my native language. But I think you got the idea.
    wasnt a dig at your english but i honestly dont get it. are you refering to the fact that you need to lean the ardent hard or else it has a sketchy zone?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    516
    A maxxis 2.5 highroller or a 2.4 Advantage

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    wasnt a dig at your english but i honestly dont get it. are you refering to the fact that you need to lean the ardent hard or else it has a sketchy zone?
    To lean the ardent hard may require the rider to change his body position to put weight up front. Am I right?
    Last edited by Helmetless; 12-12-2010 at 06:20 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    A maxxis 2.5 highroller or a 2.4 Advantage
    Yep I think I'll go for the AD option

  16. #16
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    Roll of stans tape, some sealant, and whatever tires you like. They don't have to be UST.

    Try to stay out of the thorns at the side of the trail, like someone mentioned.

    I have Ardents on one bike (2.4 front 2.25 rear) and 2.35 minions on another (DHF/DHR). The Minions have less volume but they rip. The more aggressive knob profiles give more cornering traction I think. The Ardents are a good tire but the 2.4 are both large and fairly heavy. If you run a 2.4 in the rear make sure you have sufficient frame clearance.

    If you don't mind running pizza cutters the 2.35 minions might be my favorites.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G-AIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,502

    2.35 High Roller

    I think you want the 2.35 High Roller. It is very predictable, works in the front or back, and works in a lot of conditions. The 2.35 has plenty of width for AM riding. If your friends are riding 2.1s the 2.35s will be plenty.

    The 2.35 DHF is another great option. I currently run the DHF front and HR in the rear. I really like this set up. Like you, I used to run the 2.35 Kends Nevs. I liked the tires but had problems with pinch flats and it rolls like poo. Go for the High Roller and you won't look back.

    Stay away from the Ignitors.

    Good Luck.
    TG

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G-AIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    I have Ardents on one bike (2.4 front 2.25 rear) and 2.35 minions on another (DHF/DHR). The Minions have less volume but they rip. The more aggressive knob profiles give more cornering traction I think. The Ardents are a good tire but the 2.4 are both large and fairly heavy.
    BN,
    How does the volume and size of the 2.25 Ardent compare to the 2.35 DHF? I am thinking of running the 2.25 Ardents on my HT.

    Thanks for an y info.

    TG

  19. #19
    I'm more of a dog person
    Reputation: unclekittykiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    Yep I think I'll go for the AD option
    2.4 ADV is an enormous tire. great grip but just too big. bigger than my minion 2.5 dhr.
    +1 for the Ardent. 2.25 Ardent on a 28mm wide rim hits the sweet spot for me.

  20. #20
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,183
    I've used the 2.4 Advantage, the 2.25 Advantage and Ardent, and currently the 2.5 Minion DHF EXO with the 60 maxpro.
    In dryer terrain at least, I think the 2.5 single ply EXO Minion DHF is the way to go. It's a fat tire, but not much bigger than a 2.35 Nevegal.
    Maxxis also makes a single ply 60mp DHF in 2.35, if your fork arch has tight clearance issues.
    They aren't puncture proof, but they are better at preventing flats than Kenda and Continentals I've tried.
    Use with a 2.35 Minion DHR folding, 60mp on the rear. Great Combo.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I've used the 2.4 Advantage, the 2.25 Advantage and Ardent, and currently the 2.5 Minion DHF EXO with the 60 maxpro.
    In dryer terrain at least, I think the 2.5 single ply EXO Minion DHF is the way to go. It's a fat tire, but not much bigger than a 2.35 Nevegal.
    Maxxis also makes a single ply 60mp DHF in 2.35, if your fork arch has tight clearance issues.
    They aren't puncture proof, but they are better at preventing flats than Kenda and Continentals I've tried.
    Use with a 2.35 Minion DHR folding, 60mp on the rear. Great Combo.
    How's the 2.25 Advantage? Simple curiosity as I used the 2.1 AD in the past (XC ride). Still undecided because I don't see a winner tire , everyone has his favorite (which is cool! btw)
    Last edited by Helmetless; 12-13-2010 at 05:02 AM.

  22. #22
    DGB
    DGB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    464
    If you're looking for something that is a similar size to a 2.35 Nevegal, that will fall somewhere between a 2.25 and 2.4 ADvantage. Be careful though, as was said above, the 2.4 ADvantage is huge! It's a very tall tyre and you'll struggle to fit it in most XC fork crowns (I had trouble fitting one in a RS Revelation crown when mounted on DT XR400 rims). The 2.4 is also a heavy tyre and, IMO, isn't as good at cornering as a smaller 2.35 Minion DHF.

    I run a 2.25 ADvantage on the rear of my HT (I don't like the ADvantage up front) and it's similar in size to 2.35 Minion/High Roller/Swampthing (all older Maxxis tyres are small in comparison to their newer tyres - ADv/Ardent).

    For the conditions you mentioned above (dry, dusty, rocky), I'd go with a Minion DHF 2.35 Single-Ply 60a folding.

  23. #23
    smartass
    Reputation: amish_matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    547
    For reference, the ADvantage 2.25 is more or less the same size as the Highroller 2.35.

    For me, the ADvantage 2.4 is way to big. As others have said, it's huge. I've used it, and much prefer the 2.25 size.

    I run an ADvantage 2.25 front and Ardent 2.25 rear and really like that setup. Previously a Crossmark 2.25 rear. Using the Ardent now only because of the EXO sidewall, the Crossmark was great otherwise, but the sidewalls never lasted as long as the tread.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,840
    I really like my ghetto tubeless setup with Minion DHF Exo 2.5s front and rear.

    Don't be afraid of a 2.5 Minion. It's not too wide. Like others have said, the Minions run much smaller than its size says. It is about the exact same size as my old 2.35 Nevegal, for reference. I measured them with calipers to be sure. The 2.35 Minion would be very narrow indeed, so I stayed away from it. But I have to say, they grip incredibly well, and even though they have taller tread than my old Nevegals, they do roll a little better. Yes, they feel a bit different than Kendas, and that's going to be the same experience whenever you switch brands. But now that I know the tires well and can predict their behavior, they're the best set I have ever ridden.

    HIGHLY recommend getting the Minion DHF 2.5 Exo single ply in 60a hardness.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    84

    Slime Tubes

    Saw someone mention tubeless (and I'd have to agree), but it sounds like the guy doesn't want to go that route--so I wonder why no one has mentioned Slime tubes? Before I went tubeless, I rode many Kendas (Nevs, BG's, SB8's, etc.) & Maxxis' (Xmarks, High & Holy Roller, Minions, etc.), and they all had flats at about the same rate with regular tubes. If you want to keep using tubes, the Slime will help on any brand/tire; as long as it is indeed thorns & you're not pinch flatting.

  26. #26
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    BN,
    How does the volume and size of the 2.25 Ardent compare to the 2.35 DHF? I am thinking of running the 2.25 Ardents on my HT.

    Thanks for an y info.

    TG
    I would say the 2.25 Ardent is at least as big and probably a touch larger. Although the knobs are not as tall the casing is definitely larger and higher volume.

    I am pretty happy with the Ardent, but I'm not sure I see any real advantage to it over the Minion. The Minions rip.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nixgame22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    517
    I've been running a 2.35 Ignitor on the front over the summer and love it. Pedal Pushers in Golden CO suggested that, and an Advantage on the rear for typical Front Range trails.
    Maintain internal heights.

  28. #28
    The Unaffiliated
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    842
    I am running the Specialized Purgatory, ghetto tubeless. I'm on my second tire and I have NEVER flatted and I mostly ride in the Chihuahua desert (cactus, goatheads, and all sorts of sharp plants and rocks).

    I have had lots of holes in ME, but my tires have held up.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Philius413
    Saw someone mention tubeless (and I'd have to agree), but it sounds like the guy doesn't want to go that route--so I wonder why no one has mentioned Slime tubes? Before I went tubeless, I rode many Kendas (Nevs, BG's, SB8's, etc.) & Maxxis' (Xmarks, High & Holy Roller, Minions, etc.), and they all had flats at about the same rate with regular tubes. If you want to keep using tubes, the Slime will help on any brand/tire; as long as it is indeed thorns & you're not pinch flatting.

    Rather than Slime, I'd recommend filling some tubes up with a few ounces of Stans No-Flat sealant. Slime does work to a degree, but I've had FAR better results with Stan's. It doesn't throw tires off balance as much as the thicker slime does, and it flows into and stops leaks faster. That's the sealant of choice for tubeless conversion-type people like myself that were just too cheap to go out and buy tubeless rims. The only issue is that no sealant is a permanent fix. They will eventually leak out, even if slime or stan's latex plugs the hole. But it might get you through the rest of your ride... or possibly just get you farther away from your car

    There are other options too, like Panaracer Flat Away kevlar tire liners. Definitely go for the kevlar if you look for liners though. The cheap Mr Tuffy plastic ones weigh a ton and don't work. Some people have had good luck with them, and others not. All depends on the thorns you're hitting, I guess

    I still think the thread starter ought to at least consider the ghetto tubeless option though. It works on almost any regular tube rim and tire setup, has a super good flat sealant in it in case it does puncture, and it eliminates the worry of pinch-flatting altogether. I was really nervous about trying it, but now that I've done it with my beloved Minions, I'll never go back to tubes again. A whole season without a single flat!!
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  30. #30
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    Rather than Slime, I'd recommend filling some tubes up with a few ounces of Stans No-Flat sealant. Slime does work to a degree, but I've had FAR better results with Stan's. It doesn't throw tires off balance as much as the thicker slime does, and it flows into and stops leaks faster. That's the sealant of choice for tubeless conversion-type people like myself that were just too cheap to go out and buy tubeless rims. The only issue is that no sealant is a permanent fix. They will eventually leak out, even if slime or stan's latex plugs the hole. But it might get you through the rest of your ride... or possibly just get you farther away from your car

    There are other options too, like Panaracer Flat Away kevlar tire liners. Definitely go for the kevlar if you look for liners though. The cheap Mr Tuffy plastic ones weigh a ton and don't work. Some people have had good luck with them, and others not. All depends on the thorns you're hitting, I guess

    I still think the thread starter ought to at least consider the ghetto tubeless option though. It works on almost any regular tube rim and tire setup, has a super good flat sealant in it in case it does puncture, and it eliminates the worry of pinch-flatting altogether. I was really nervous about trying it, but now that I've done it with my beloved Minions, I'll never go back to tubes again. A whole season without a single flat!!
    im really intrested in the gorilla ghetto tubless (did you do this) but im not sure if it will work with non ust tires. any comments?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    The Minions rip.
    Sorry, but what do you mean with rip? I only know two meanings of it: rest in peace (lol), or to copy stuff.

  32. #32
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,494
    RIP: see "SHRED"

    "Man, did you see Peaty? He was rippin' the downhill!"

    "Man, did you see Peaty? He was shreddin' the downhill!"
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    RIP: see "SHRED"

    "Man, did you see Peaty? He was rippin' the downhill!"

    "Man, did you see Peaty? He was shreddin' the downhill!"
    Thank you Net Wurker! All sorted out. So, the Maxxis Minion is a great tire despite its width

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    im really intrested in the gorilla ghetto tubless (did you do this) but im not sure if it will work with non ust tires. any comments?
    I didn't use Gorilla tape. Ive heard from some people that the chemicals in the Stan's will slowly dissolve the adhesive of most tapes. I did the 20" bmx tube method, and it's rock solid. I've got non-ust Minions on non-ust WTB Laserdisc rims. The seal is excellent, and no worries about the tape ever crapping out. Only caveat is that the first fill-up needs an air compressor to rapidly puff the tire onto the bead. I just walked to the corner gas station for that. Then a regular bike pump to get to the correct pressure.

    Here's a link to exactly what I did:

    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WRM7gq1fcoQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WRM7gq1fcoQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  35. #35
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,494
    I've been running Minion 2.5 DHF 3c EXO front, and Minion 2.5 DHF 60a EXO rear, and love that combo!

    Running them ghetto tubeless with the yellow tape.

    Although, I have one of the new UST Ardents in 2.25 I'm going to try on the rear. I ran an Ardent before on the rear, and loved it , except for the weak sidewalls. I am hoping the UST version will have beefier sidealls...lots of sharp rocks on our local trails.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I.V.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    147
    Maxxis catalog. With all dimensions. Just to take the guessing out of the equation. 2.5 and 2.4 is a no no. For part dry, part dusty, part rocky, Minion DHF 2.35 front and Crossmark 2.25 rear. I'm running HR Semi Slick/Larsen TT combo for dry and HR/HR for part wet, part muddy, part boggy. All on Mavic XM719.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A.
    Maxxis catalog. With all dimensions. Just to take the guessing out of the equation. 2.5 and 2.4 is a no no. For part dry, part dusty, part rocky, Minion DHF 2.35 front and Crossmark 2.25 rear. I'm running HR Semi Slick/Larsen TT combo for dry and HR/HR for part wet, part muddy, part boggy. All on Mavic XM719.
    Wonderful add!!!
    This is the ride so you can better figure out what tires it needs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Maxxis (Front) Tire for AM-completa2.jpg  


  38. #38
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    Thank you Net Wurker! All sorted out. So, the Maxxis Minion is a great tire despite its width
    Yes, it's very good. The 2.35 with 60a compound has plenty of grip, but more importantly the grip is controllable and predictable.

  39. #39
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    How's the 2.25 Advantage? Simple curiosity as I used the 2.1 AD in the past (XC ride). Still undecided because I don't see a winner tire , everyone has his favorite (which is cool! btw)
    It's tread pattern is better suited to the rear. I find that kind of ironic, since it's sidewalls are to thin for rear use in rocky terrain.
    For years I was told to use a DHF on the rear, then I tried the DHR and was stoked. I heard it was really slow rolling blah, blah, blah.
    The DHF front and the DHR rear is a killer combo.

    Someone was saying that the 2.25 and 2.35 tires are almost the same size. That didn't used to be true with Maxxis, but they seem to have re-sized some of the older tires with newer casings.

    The 2.4 Advantage is huge. It's larger than a 2.5 Minion. The Minion 2.5 is larger than a 2.25 Advantage or Ardent however. It's really confusing!!!

    Because of this, I've started using the metric numbers on the sidewall when I can find them. For some reason, the metric measurements are really close, even between different brands of tire.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    563
    A very good & informative site for MTB tires by Shiggy (http://mtbtires.com/site2/)

    I recently got myself a Minion 2.35 with Crossmark 2.1 combo. The measurements are spot on from the site!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer
    A very good & informative site for MTB tires by Shiggy (http://mtbtires.com/site2/)

    I recently got myself a Minion 2.35 with Crossmark 2.1 combo. The measurements are spot on from the site!
    Why the link you sent to me directs me to Kendas... ironic eh?

    Well, after a bit of research based on your comments I've decided that the 2.35 Minion is the right choice. I do have a Maxxis Advantage in 2.1 and will use that little one for the rear wheel until I could get a better tire. Now I need to find the folding bead version of the Minion, which is not that easy as wire bead Minions are the usual

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nagatahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    i tried an Maxxis high roller 2.5 not good. felt like the brakes were on all the time.
    Heard good things about the ardent.
    currently I use a WTB Weirfolf 2.3 great tire for dry packed with loose. carves super good.
    on burms and flats. good in dry, wet rocks and roots. Not good in mud. lugs are to small.

  43. #43
    DGB
    DGB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    Now I need to find the folding bead version of the Minion, which is not that easy as wire bead Minions are the usual
    If you have no luck in finding it locally, you can get it from CRC

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB
    If you have no luck in finding it locally, you can get it from CRC
    Thx!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless
    Why the link you sent to me directs me to Kendas... ironic eh?

    Well, after a bit of research based on your comments I've decided that the 2.35 Minion is the right choice. I do have a Maxxis Advantage in 2.1 and will use that little one for the rear wheel until I could get a better tire. Now I need to find the folding bead version of the Minion, which is not that easy as wire bead Minions are the usual
    LOL... truely ironic!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    I know I said Maxxis only, but what about the Chunder SX in 2.3?
    Check this out:
    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=131111&page=3

  47. #47
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,183
    I got my folding Minions from either Pricepoint or Jenson USA.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  48. #48
    fan of maple syrup
    Reputation: nuclear_powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,581
    Thread Hijack!

    Are all the 2.5 Minions wire bead?

    The ExoProtection version here at CRC seems to indicate it's a 'high volume' tyre - whereas all mention of Minions above seems to be refer to it as an 'old Maxxis' that's about as big as newer 2.4 Maxxis tyres. Is it just this ExoProtection one that's 'new/high volume'?

    Finally, anyone recommend Fat Alberts more than/less than Minions? Haven't seen any mention here so far and it seems to be the only other DH-esque tyre with a specific front/back tread.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Thread Hijack!

    sorry I didn't see the other one.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Thread Hijack!

    Are all the 2.5 Minions wire bead?

    The ExoProtection version here at CRC seems to indicate it's a 'high volume' tyre - whereas all mention of Minions above seems to be refer to it as an 'old Maxxis' that's about as big as newer 2.4 Maxxis tyres. Is it just this ExoProtection one that's 'new/high volume'?

    Finally, anyone recommend Fat Alberts more than/less than Minions? Haven't seen any mention here so far and it seems to be the only other DH-esque tyre with a specific front/back tread.
    The Exo-Protection Minion DHF 2.5 has a folding aramid bead. Available in a single 60a compound or 3C. The size is the same as the DH 26x2.5 version- it measures roughly 2.4" across the tread.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •