mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Best hardtail mtb for under $800

Right now I have a trek 820 and am looking for a little bit of an upgrade over it.
    I know for under a $1000 it hard to get a great bike but I just Need one that can hold is own on moderate trail use and everyday riding. So if know of any good sub 800 bikes post them up please

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you're looking for HT's in that price range, I'd be shopping used. You can get some decent things new, but my go/no-go is an air fork and hydro brakes.

If you're shopping new, go to the LBS and see what they offer...
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance
    2015 Gravity Monster
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the boy's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Does anyone know if lbs's do trade in's or buy used bikes or does it depend on the shop? Would a 2015 trek 820 hardtail be worth $200?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bicycle blue book will get you an idea of street value. Most LBS will not take tradeins, esp low-dollar old stuff. Craigslist is the way to go up to maybe 2K.

Figure half MSRP if the bike's only a year old. Your audience will not be MTBR's, it'll be people who need a cheap bike to get to school.

MTBing is rad, but it's rad expensive. There's definitely a no-man's land between All-Mountain (where you started) and Beginner's Forum (which is where this probably belongs).

You'll probably find way more people there with specific recommendations... most regulars here can call out many bikes in the 3-6K range, but not so much in the entry level.

Maybe PM a mod to see if they can move it.
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance
    2015 Gravity Monster
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the boy's)

engineer
    Aug 2016
    I know it's a big no no to say this but for new, I don't see anything wrong with the online offerings like bikesdirect. I was out of the game for a while and not sure if I would get back into off-road riding. A couple of LBS blew me off with my hydraulic brake requirement and sub $1000 29er request. Not worth their time I guess. My favorite LBS tried to up-sell me but they at least respected my position and were happy to give me information.
    This was going to be a quick reply lol. Short-story: I got into the game on a "GravityPoint4" for under $700 and thrashed it on the NJ 6-mile course for a couple of years. Other than having to tighten the the headset, no problems with the equipment. Granted this bike was not fast at over 31lb but it is strong and stable. Traction was garbage with the stock 2.1 tires for the riding I do so I'm now an owner of a new Cannondale Bad Habit 1 from the LBS.
    Gateway bikes should be offered but I understand why LBS don't want to deal with them. Just a shame because I would have paid a little bit more if I had gotten a similar value.
    Good luck. I would also look for used if you are a brand snob