mtbr member
    Nov 2006

New question here. Best fork for 2005 sworks stumpy 120

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading my cry for help.

I have a nice trick & fairly light 2005 sworks stumpy 120 but the current fork (05 talas 90-130) is a little sloppy (even after a TF tuned service) and I think it needs to be replaced with something that will keep the front wheel in a straighter line, as it is not good enough in corners.

I am currently considering the following:

RockShox Revelation 426 coil u turn
    RockShox Revelation 426 air u-turn
    Fox 32 talas rlc 100-140mm

My thoughts so far:

RS revelation coil:
    Lots of travel adjust (85-130mm)
    Stays within the recommended range of the bike (spesh say max 130mm)
    Simple & hence should be reliable
    People seem to like coil over air (I have no experience of coil)
    4.2 pounds so not too heavy
    Apparently stiff (is is stiffer than the fox?)
    Not sure how easy it is to adjust on the fly - does anyone know?

RS revelation air
    Lots of adjustability (compression and rebound pressure)
    Within recommended travel range for bike
    Should be reliable
    Stiff ?
    4 pounds
    Travel adjust, but not really on the fly (too much winding)

Fox 32 talas rlc
    Should be plush
    Good adjustability
    Circa 4 pounds
    Genuinely adjustable on the fly (3 position switch)
    140mm max may be too long, but the new stumpy 120 has 140mm - is there a difference or is it just spesh trying to get me to buy a new bike when I don't need one?
    Apparently suffers a bit from reliability issues (TF tuned told me thay are worse than the 06). Is this true or are they just pushing rockshox?

As you can see, I am in a bit of a quandry. I would love 140mm if I could get away with it, but if it is too long then I am wasting my money. I would also like the genuine on the fly adjustability if it was an advantage. Luckily, money is not a major issue, I just want the right fork.

I mostly ride technical XC but I am getting a little braver in my old age - hence the need for more front wheel stiffness. I am 39 and weigh about 205lbs in full kit. I do not race so weight is not an issue as long as it doesn't updset the bike balance.

Perhaps I should be considering a fixed length (say 120mm) coil fork instead, which would provide the best ride. Then again, maybe I should just get a 9mm bolt through for my current wheels (dt hugi 240 hubs) and keep the current fork.

Any comments or suggestions welcome. I am particularly interested to hear if anyone is running 140mm on an 05 sworks stumpy 120, or if anyone knows why this shouldn't be done. My nightmare is shelling 500+ out to buy the talas only to find that it completely upsets the bike in 140mm setting. Of course if the revelation is genuinely better then I can cope with the lack of adjustability.

Cheers,

John
    Plymouth, UK

40 oz to freedom
    How about a RockShox Pike? You would need to get a new front hub but its a great fork. You can dial it down anywhere from 140mm to 95mm. Sounds like its just what you need, and its not too expensive or heavy either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cheers,

I have contemplated this but I was told that it was 'too heavy' or 'overkill'. Personally I think you could be right, but I am still worried about whether the frame will cope with the extra 10mm. Do you have any experience of anyone else doing this?

Cheers,

John

40 oz to freedom
    When you think about it 10mm is like .394 inches, its not that big of a deal. It wont have much of an effect on the geo of the bike, it will make it a little slacker. And even if you dont like the new geo you can always turn it down to 130 and problem solved.

Get Down Do you
    I would not put 140 on a stumpy 120. I had a 05 stumpy 120 and actually found that even the 130mm that came with it was too much. I used to ride the talas cranked down to 120 and the bike actually rode and climbed much better. I do not think that the current model of stumpy which is the 120 just now standard really needs anything more. The few guys on the local trails that have the new stumpys all run their talas forks at 120mm max.

If your issue with the fork staying straight is in the climbs then it's because the Stumpys squat when climbing slacking the head angle and making it hard to steer especially when the ups get steep.

YMMV but I would not go with a longer travel fork on the stumpy.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]