mtbr member
    Jan 2011

best entry level hard tail MTB

hi, i doubt anyone will know these bikes personally but just looking in, what seems the best? don't really have a clue what the specs mean.

CLAUD BUTLER PAGAN 2010
    http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/...d-Butler/PAGAN

MONGOOSE SWITCHBACK COMP 2011
    http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/...-Hard-Tail-MTB

it will just be for rallying around to get fit, gravel grass woodland type area. i had a much worse spec bike about 10 years ago and it stood to good abuse. jumps, skids etc for ages... so i'm sure these modern specs will be more than enough today.

one is cheaper (the 2010 one) but the 2011 one is newer, though i may just be paying a premium, and the 2010 bike has came down in price since... so what is the better bike spec-wise or overall?

and is there anything i should know about?

thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    shite forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubez
    shite forum.
    Wrong forum. Try the "Beginner's Corner" section.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Complaining because nobody answered in less than 24h? That's not the best way of getting one.
    Still, the Pagan seems to be better spec'd (slightly better transmission and wheels), although I never heard of Claud Butler before.
    EAT : SLEEP : RIDE
    2010 Cannondale Rize 120 Three
    All Things Vic
    Flickr Set

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Wrong forum. Try the "Beginner's Corner" section.
    No way, he's right. MTBR definitely doesn't have any info on mountain bikes and his question surely hasn't been asked before. Shouldn't have to post in the right area to get an answer, everyone should just sense the question was asked and come in to give advice.

OP: I know the search function here is bad but at least put a little effort in before you call a forum sh*t.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i knew all that was needed was a little push. maybe the bikes are boring as they are very low spec, but it will be more than enough for me.

just wanted to see if one was better. don't want to pay more for a 2011 bike if i can get a 2010 bike at better spec and cheaper price.

T.W.O
    I think they are just saying this is more of a beginners corner question. This is AM people are talking more about 160mm travel bikes, not Mongooses.

mtbr member

What..... My mongoose don't fit

Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    I think they are just saying this is more of a beginners corner question. This is AM people are talking more about 160mm travel bikes, not Mongooses.
    the bill???????

Looks like 160mm+ travel to me
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

T.W.O
    Way to be a smart ass. Lol