Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17

    Best Clip In shoes and peddles for AM/XC

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for any suggestions you use for a good shoe/pedal.

    I'd like to get a pair of shoes that are inconspicuous (meaning if i was walking down the street in them you'd never know they were clip in's).

    Any recommendations on a good pair for climbing, XC and some downhill?

    As for pedals, there are so many options out there.. Crank Brothers, Shimano, Xpedo, what works really well for Clim/XC/down

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    415
    Flats and Tevas.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    I ended up getting a pair of Shimano AM45 Shoes and Shimano M647 pedals.

    $167 for both, seemed like a good deal.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hangtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,284

    Best Clip In shoes and peddles for AM/XC

    My Shimano 540 pedals have been great. Yearly TLC and they hold up to lots of use.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,789
    I have these for XC/AM. Love them.

    Sidi Dominator 5 MTB Shoes - Mountain Bike Shoes

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    99

    Re: Best Clip In shoes and peddles for AM/XC

    Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Flats and Tevas.
    Hah. This is what I'm rocking. My Tevas may be a little different, but when I have I have to hike they are great.

    Found a couple chunks missing... Should I get a different shoe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Clip In shoes and peddles for AM/XC-uploadfromtaptalk1383013037101.jpg  


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Flats and Tevas.
    He asks for recommendations on clipless and you say "flats and tevas".... stupid... clearly he wants to ride clipless not on flats... there is a reason that literally every XC racer rides clipped in, stevie smith rides clipped in, and jerome clementz rides clipped in, to name a few. Faster, more control, easier to bunny hop, easier to apply power, etc.

    I personally would HIGHLY recommend a pair of Mavic MTB shoes and shimano pedals. I have been running the same pair of Shimano XT clipless pedals for 7 years now and they perform flawlessly even though they are completely mangled, my brother has the same set and they have lasted just as long for him.

    I have the Mavic Alpine shoes and they're as comfortable as my athletic shoes and extremely good for hike-a-bike. I used to think Shimano shoes were amazing but once I saw the quality of Mavic first-hand I was shocked.


    Also, just saw that you got Shimano AM45's.... what happened to "(I'd like to get a pair of shoes that are inconspicuous (meaning if i was walking down the street in them you'd never know they were clip in's)"?? lol the AM45's are the weirdest looking clip-in's available. I actually have a pair and they're great for downhill enduro riding but I did not enjoy them at all for XC with a lot of climbing, way too heavy and the heel area is not designed for optimal power application.

  8. #8
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Best Clip In shoes and peddles for AM/XC

    For pedals that work well for climbing and descending, i like shimano xt trail or xtr trail, they have a modest platform for times when you're unclipped. I have the xtr trail on my firebird and they are light, tough, surviving many strikes, and spin forever when you give em the spin test.

    For shoes that look normal, in addition to the teva recommendation check out dzw:

    http://www.dzrshoes.com/

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    He asks for recommendations on clipless and you say "flats and tevas".... stupid... clearly he wants to ride clipless not on flats... there is a reason that literally every XC racer rides clipped in, stevie smith rides clipped in, and jerome clementz rides clipped in, to name a few. Faster, more control, easier to bunny hop, easier to apply power, etc.

    I personally would HIGHLY recommend a pair of Mavic MTB shoes and shimano pedals. I have been running the same pair of Shimano XT clipless pedals for 7 years now and they perform flawlessly even though they are completely mangled, my brother has the same set and they have lasted just as long for him.

    I have the Mavic Alpine shoes and they're as comfortable as my athletic shoes and extremely good for hike-a-bike. I used to think Shimano shoes were amazing but once I saw the quality of Mavic first-hand I was shocked.


    Also, just saw that you got Shimano AM45's.... what happened to "(I'd like to get a pair of shoes that are inconspicuous (meaning if i was walking down the street in them you'd never know they were clip in's)"?? lol the AM45's are the weirdest looking clip-in's available. I actually have a pair and they're great for downhill enduro riding but I did not enjoy them at all for XC with a lot of climbing, way too heavy and the heel area is not designed for optimal power application.
    I had a pair of Mavic Rush's and parts of the tread started falling off after maybe 200 miles of road and 40 miles of mountain riding (I use SPD's on my road bike too). The Sidi's I got to replace them feel a lot better, would also try Shimano shoes though.

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,532
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    I ended up getting a pair of Shimano AM45 Shoes and Shimano M647 pedals.

    $167 for both, seemed like a good deal.
    Those are very good pedals and shoes. The shoes are nice in any place where you get dew on the growth the side of the trail, as the covering resists most moisture that would soak normal shoes.

    The pedals are about as good as it gets, the upward-canted mechanism makes clipping in extremely easy, they have the better-mud-clearing design of the newer shimano pedals (compared to the 545s which have the older mechanism), they are durable and you can get replacement cages if you ever break them. Great pedals for a beginner, AM rider, downhiller, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,532
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    For pedals that work well for climbing and descending, i like shimano xt trail or xtr trail, they have a modest platform for times when you're unclipped. I have the xtr trail on my firebird and they are light, tough, surviving many strikes, and spin forever when you give em the spin test.
    I don't recommend those pedals, they are quite a bit more difficult to get clipped back into, which for a newer rider, is somewhat critical. I had the "trail" pedals for a while, and I'd run them in a DH race to save weight, but that's about it, regular 647s are better to run for DH most of the time and for XC riding the regular 540 type design is easier to get into. The problem with the "trail" pedals is the mechanism doesn't rotate easily, forcing you to get much more specific with where you put your foot, as the pedal doesn't "move" around as easily to allow you to clip in, it ends up taking more force in the downward direction to get these clipped back in. The 545/647 have the upward-canted mechanism that circumvents this. You just kind of put your foot flat on the pedal with a little downward/forward pressure and it engages much easier.

    I think the trail pedals look cooler and people can't resist how they are lighter than the 545/647, so it's a hot seller, but it was kind of like having more of the negatives of both styles without the positives.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    230
    Used quite a few variations of clipless shoes and pedals.

    Currently using XT Trail pedals with Shimano XC50N shoes, very good combo. For a rigid shoe they are pretty good to walk in and the shoe pedal interface is awesome.

  13. #13
    fan of maple syrup
    Reputation: nuclear_powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    I'd like to get a pair of shoes that are inconspicuous (meaning if i was walking down the street in them you'd never know they were clip in's).
    I've yet to find a pair of SPD compatible shoes that didn't at least make the grinding sound when walking on anything but purely flat, almost-polished surfaces. No matter how inconspicuous they looked, occasionally people who didn't know what was going on would look at my feet strangely, possibly wondering how I could fail to notice the stones caught in my soles (since it can sound like that), or perhaps wondering if I was a closet tap dancer.


    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

  14. #14
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,769
    I like Time ATAC pedals.

    For shoes, I've pretty much just embraced the cycling shoe look. I had some Shimano casual MTB shoes for a while, but on a longer ride, they weren't stiff enough. Also, as others have said, the cleat still grinds on the floor. It didn't when they were new, but the sole wears faster than the cleat if you walk much.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I like Time ATAC pedals.

    For shoes, I've pretty much just embraced the cycling shoe look. I had some Shimano casual MTB shoes for a while, but on a longer ride, they weren't stiff enough. Also, as others have said, the cleat still grinds on the floor. It didn't when they were new, but the sole wears faster than the cleat if you walk much.
    This is why I love my Mavic Alpines. They are as stiff as my Shimano M087's, don't click when I walk, and are as comfortable as basketball sneakers while still being ultra stiff. Plus, they look very cool and I wear them in public all the time and never get weird looks. Lastly, they are LIGHT!

    Just weighed shoes on scale....


    All right foot shoes:


    Shimano AM45 (WITHOUT cleat installed) = 628.9g (roughly 670g with cleat)
    Mavic Alpine (WITH cleat installed) = 459.8g
    Shimano M087 (WITHOUT cleat installed) = 413.1g (roughly 443g with cleat)

    Average SPD cleat weights 30 grams with the hardware.

    Comfort:

    Am45 = 7/10
    M087 = 6/10
    Alpine = 9/10

    Walking/Climbing Ability:

    Am45 = 5/10
    M087 = 4/10
    Alpine = 7/10

    Perceived Pedaling Efficiency:

    Am45 = 5/10
    M087 = 8.5/10
    Alpine = 8.5/10

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    He asks for recommendations on clipless and you say "flats and tevas".... stupid... clearly he wants to ride clipless not on flats... there is a reason that literally every XC racer rides clipped in, stevie smith rides clipped in, and jerome clementz rides clipped in, to name a few. Faster, more control, easier to bunny hop, easier to apply power, etc.

    I personally would HIGHLY recommend a pair of Mavic MTB shoes and shimano pedals. I have been running the same pair of Shimano XT clipless pedals for 7 years now and they perform flawlessly even though they are completely mangled, my brother has the same set and they have lasted just as long for him.

    I have the Mavic Alpine shoes and they're as comfortable as my athletic shoes and extremely good for hike-a-bike. I used to think Shimano shoes were amazing but once I saw the quality of Mavic first-hand I was shocked.


    Also, just saw that you got Shimano AM45's.... what happened to "(I'd like to get a pair of shoes that are inconspicuous (meaning if i was walking down the street in them you'd never know they were clip in's)"?? lol the AM45's are the weirdest looking clip-in's available. I actually have a pair and they're great for downhill enduro riding but I did not enjoy them at all for XC with a lot of climbing, way too heavy and the heel area is not designed for optimal power application.
    I thought the AM45 looked like a "skate shoe". My buddy actually has a pair and says he doesn't use them, so I'll return the ones to Jenson and then buy his for $45.

    The Ones your recommend look really nice.

    I didn't realize the Am45 is not good for XC/climbing. Is it that the foot doesn't feel comfortable on the platform, or they're just hot n heavy?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    This is why I love my Mavic Alpines. They are as stiff as my Shimano M087's, don't click when I walk, and are as comfortable as basketball sneakers while still being ultra stiff. Plus, they look very cool and I wear them in public all the time and never get weird looks. Lastly, they are LIGHT!

    Just weighed shoes on scale....


    All right foot shoes:


    Shimano AM45 (WITHOUT cleat installed) = 628.9g (roughly 670g with cleat)
    Mavic Alpine (WITH cleat installed) = 459.8g
    Shimano M087 (WITHOUT cleat installed) = 413.1g (roughly 443g with cleat)

    Average SPD cleat weights 30 grams with the hardware.

    Comfort:

    Am45 = 7/10
    M087 = 6/10
    Alpine = 9/10

    Walking/Climbing Ability:

    Am45 = 5/10
    M087 = 4/10
    Alpine = 7/10

    Perceived Pedaling Efficiency:

    Am45 = 5/10
    M087 = 8.5/10
    Alpine = 8.5/10
    Good to know, I'll pick up a pair of mavic's

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    Good to know, I'll pick up a pair of mavic's
    I'm very confident you will really, really like them. As for sizing, I wear 10.5 nikes, 10.5 adidas, 10.5 carhartts, and Mavic's US Size 10.5 or European 44 2/3 and they fit my feet perfectly. Also I really like with the Alpine's how I can tie my laces relatively loose then just really fasten down the velcro, results in no pinching and a very comfortable ride.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkidd_39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    756
    Five Ten has some SPD shoes.. I'm gonna be trying out the Raven's. Bluw Sky Cycling has them on clearance for $60.. and for pedals a 530/40/50 shimano pedal is about the most durable thing out there and the price is great. spending more only get's you lighter pedals.. and not by much..

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmallory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    754
    I had Shimano AM45's and they were rediculously heavy and made my feet go numb after long climbs. I scored a pair of the Teva Pivots and they are better than the Shimanos in every way. Light, comfortable, and relatively stiff. A little pricey but after riding them for 3 months, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair. Used with Mallets, not the best pedal but I haven't had any problems in a year so far. Best shoes I've ever rode in.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,114

    Alpine XLs and Shimano SLX

    Light, secure, supportive connection!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    I'm very confident you will really, really like them. As for sizing, I wear 10.5 nikes, 10.5 adidas, 10.5 carhartts, and Mavic's US Size 10.5 or European 44 2/3 and they fit my feet perfectly. Also I really like with the Alpine's how I can tie my laces relatively loose then just really fasten down the velcro, results in no pinching and a very comfortable ride.
    What do you think of the Serfas SCANDIUM, looks legit. I can get a pair for $74, they list at $190... should i get those?

    https://www.serfas.com/products/view...mens-mtb-shoes

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    What do you think of the Serfas SCANDIUM, looks legit. I can get a pair for $74, they list at $190... should i get those?

    https://www.serfas.com/products/view...mens-mtb-shoes
    If you can really get them for $74 that seems too good to pass up IMO.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    487
    Specialized Rise shoes - stiff pedaling sole/platform with vibram outer for walking/grip. BOA and velcro for a perfect fit. Best shoes I've ever owned and previous were Spesh MTB Race for 8 yrs -

    TIME ATAC XS pedals - bombproof, positive in/out no matter the conditions. I have hit more rocks and pedal strikes with em - and like timex - just keep ticking. I've blown up multiple shimanos from the same riding - so once I tried em - i havent had to replace em or do anything with em

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    102
    Not that I'm an expert, but I like the pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek V shoes and Shimano M785 XT pedals that I got on sale at REI and Amazon respectively for less than $160. I have been using them with a '92 Specialized Rockhopper but will transfer them to my new mtn bike (Superfly FS 9) when it arrives this week. I may go for some better shoes in spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 05:32 PM
  2. What clip-in Shoes for your HD
    By Trackho in forum Ibis
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 10:35 AM
  3. Clip Shoes
    By Hound in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
  4. Clip shoes
    By elcoolio1 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 06:03 AM
  5. 14 - 15 4E clip in shoes.
    By HardTail4Lif3 in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •