mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Best choices, $1,000 range

I've seen different versions of this question on the Web, but wanted to ask it here: What are the best choices for mountain bikes in the $1,000 range (realistically $750 to $1,250)? I need a bike that climbs well (lots of the rides where I live involve climbing the Blue Mountains near Walla Walla), but also would like to be able to navigate tight single track with tree roots (the kind of rides common where my son lives).

I originally had my eye on a Jamis Dakota 29er at the local shop. I rode a Giant Anthem, also at the local shop, and it seemed well-suited to climbing (light plus lockout front and rear shocks), but it was about $1,000 more than I am willing to spend for a bike that won't get ridden a lot, at least not at the moment.

I know the key is to try out bikes for yourself, but I wanted to get the opinion of those at www.mtbr.com. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Maybe ask the same question in the "What bike to buy" forum?

Realistically, you're looking for something that may not exist. Your best options for your price point may come from Ibex (www.ibexbikes.com). They are an internet-only company, so you won't find their product in the store.

Other options might be the Mongoose Teocali, or the Iron Horse Mk III. Not sure on prices for those though.

These bikes are all full-suspension, 4-5" travel bikes (since you posted in the "All Mountain" forum and that's what most people are looking for when they talk of AM riding).

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    I aways support the sponsors of mtbr.
    I believe ibex has an $1800 AM bike on sale for $999. I just saw the banner today.

hth
    STL

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo
    I've seen different versions of this question on the Web, but wanted to ask it here: What are the best choices for mountain bikes in the $1,000 range (realistically $750 to $1,250)? I need a bike that climbs well (lots of the rides where I live involve climbing the Blue Mountains near Walla Walla), but also would like to be able to navigate tight single track with tree roots (the kind of rides common where my son lives).

I originally had my eye on a Jamis Dakota 29er at the local shop. I rode a Giant Anthem, also at the local shop, and it seemed well-suited to climbing (light plus lockout front and rear shocks), but it was about $1,000 more than I am willing to spend for a bike that won't get ridden a lot, at least not at the moment.

I know the key is to try out bikes for yourself, but I wanted to get the opinion of those at www.mtbr.com. Thanks!
    This looks like a great bike for that price range. $1169.97 (after coupon). There is free shipping today, but an over-sized surcharge will apply to a complete bike. Enjoy! Post pictures when you get it.

Seriously, if that looks interesting to you, check out the Iron Horse forum. There's tons of information on the HollowPoint MKIII.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Go test ride a Giant Trance 3, they are close to your price range. Also definately consider the Ibex Asta Comp X7 (http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-...7-Details.html) as it has a nice spec for the price. Also, it is getting close for alot of shops to start making may for the new models so in the next months you should see prices dropping.